Is Mayfield a first rounder???

Iamcanadian

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

I said could be 5'10", his height will be decided at the Combine, because colleges lie all the time about height and weight to give their stars a better shot at being named All American, which also helps their recruiting. What makes me suspicious about his height, is how much it is mentioned in scouting reports and the fact he started the season as a possible 4th or 5th rounder. Makes me think he could be shorter than what he is listed as??? The Combine will tell all!!!

Remember also, that Baker likes to roll out a lot to compensate for his height, even so, I love him precisely because he is so effective at whatever his height proves out to be.

His arrest record says 6'1".  I thought that would be pretty accurate...?

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

We tried to get cute with Mahomes and lost our chance to get him.  

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Dont you know? Thats because we were waiting for Baker. Sashi has Baker Mayfields picture in his locker. Hes been scribbling Mrs Sashi Mayfield on the back of his note-book. Jimmys been practicing in a mirror for the first time he shakes his hand. How long do I shake? Two pumps or three? What will I say? Candidly, what should I wear? Paul Depodesta has a Baker fathead on his wall, next to the dart-board with Jonah Hills Moneyball photo attached to it and the words IM NOT FAT carved below.

All jokes aside, my realistic idea is to take Mayfield with our 2nd pick, around #4-6.  I believe he'll be there & it's not too risky with Darnold/Rosen/Jackson likely to go ahead of him due to size/arrest/antics.  NFL owners are traditionally reactionary to anything outside of pc perfection.  I could see us realistically ending up with Barkley & Mayfield; the Barkley/Fitzpatrick/Mayfield draft is a pipe dream, admittedly.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Baker is legit

i like him more than Rosen but I wouldn’t take him over Rosen if that makes any sense 

i would take Lamar over all though he’s jush so much more talented than everyone else 

Talented at what though?

He doesn't read defenses particularly well, he doesn't go through passing progressions, he's run first and not particularly accurate.

He has a good deep ball and his pure running talent is UNREAL but he's not more talented than everyone else in the NFL QB sense of it.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Talented at what though?

He doesn't read defenses particularly well, he doesn't go through passing progressions, he's run first and not particularly accurate.

He has a good deep ball and his pure running talent is UNREAL but he's not more talented than everyone else in the NFL QB sense of it.

He's a talented athlete but unskilled at playing qb.

For the love of God just give me a guy who wins from the pocket.

I wouldn't count Jackson out from having NFL success, given the current trend for progressive coaching catered to the skills of the QB. My questions would be how long would the success last? Typically the success that run first QB has is fleeting and diminishes over time unless they suddenly transform their entire playing style to something more conducive to long term success. My other question would be what system is he in? Strikes me as a player that needs elite talent and a very specifically catered system for him. I don't think Cleveland in its current iteration is offering that any time soon. Maybe somewhere like Jacksonville could be good for him. Home state, warm weather, elite roster, can run zone reads and heavy play action with Fournette and won't have to throw from behind a lot.

I like a lot about Baker Mayfield but I don't think Cleveland goes near him. Rightly or wrongly, because of the easy Manziel comparisons. It just doesn't strike me as something Haslam and this Browns staff will look at, given everything that's happened.

26 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I wouldn't count Jackson out from having NFL success, given the current trend for progressive coaching catered to the skills of the QB. My questions would be how long would the success last? Typically the success that run first QB has is fleeting and diminishes over time unless they suddenly transform their entire playing style to something more conducive to long term success. My other question would be what system is he in? Strikes me as a player that needs elite talent and a very specifically catered system for him. I don't think Cleveland in its current iteration is offering that any time soon. Maybe somewhere like Jacksonville could be good for him. Home state, warm weather, elite roster, can run zone reads and heavy play action with Fournette and won't have to throw from behind a lot.

I like a lot about Baker Mayfield but I don't think Cleveland goes near him. Rightly or wrongly, because of the easy Manziel comparisons. It just doesn't strike me as something Haslam and this Browns staff will look at, given everything that's happened.

Agree with all points.

Jackson could be great, but it may be a short peak in a system designed around around his skills.  

Mayfield the player and Mayfield the prospect are two different animals.  I love what he can do on the field, but the kid has some serious maturity issues.  Not sure that's the kind of guy I'd want to give 20 million dollars to and expect him to behave.

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agree with all points.

Jackson could be great, but it may be a short peak in a system designed around around his skills.  

Mayfield the player and Mayfield the prospect are two different animals.  I love what he can do on the field, but the kid has some serious maturity issues.  Not sure that's the kind of guy I'd want to give 20 million dollars to and expect him to behave.

Nah, Baker's the man.  He's going to be a transcendent talent for years to come.  I hope we're on the right side of history here.

...yada yada yada: April 26, 2018 the Browns select 1. Lamar Jackson, 5. Derwin James SS

23 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Nah, Baker's the man.  He's going to be a transcendent talent for years to come.  I hope we're on the right side of history here.

...yada yada yada: April 26, 2018 the Browns select 1. Lamar Jackson, 5. Derwin James SS

I'd love to see the fanboi face off next year between you and @brownie man if we draft Mayfield.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He's a talented athlete but unskilled at playing qb.

For the love of God just give me a guy who wins from the pocket.

Rosen or Darnold. Don't pick these late round firsts and or mid round seconds. That is how we got in the mess we are in. A square peg can be cut to fit into a round hole but why not get a round peg to begin with?

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Rosen or Darnold. Don't pick these late round firsts and or mid round seconds. That is how we got in the mess we are in. A square peg can be cut to fit into a round hole but why not get a round peg to begin with?

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Why is Darnold a slam dunk but Mayfield, Jackson and Rudolph--and Stidham even--are not?  I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham was better in the NFL than Darnold personally, though I won't go as far as say I have the Sashi & Cojones to take him myself over Darnold.

20 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Why is Darnold a slam dunk but Mayfield, Jackson and Rudolph--and Stidham even--are not?  I wouldn't be surprised if Stidham was better in the NFL than Darnold personally, though I won't go as far as say I have the Sashi & Cojones to take him myself over Darnold.

Type of offense they run, how they handle themselves on and off the field, Size, Strength, Accuracy with the ball, Pocket presence, etc. 

Duel threats (they run and get injured) and spread option QBs do not impress me. I want a pro style pocket presence QB with size, arm, accuracy and leadership. Also I do not want any off field issues or childish behaviors. Cough cough... Mayfield.

Darnold seems like he has all of those. Rosen is in a very close second AND we will be in the position to pick one of them. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived