Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

On 1/13/2018 at 12:46 AM, CWood21 said:

If he's drafted by a team whose a very conservative, traditional play caller he's going to struggle.

I agree, but that would be a bad pairing.  It's like signing DeMarco Murray to a lot of money in free agency to run stretch plays all day long.  Oh wait...

On 1/3/2018 at 8:08 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

Yes we would. Because he still wouldn't have made many anticipatory throws, throws into tight windows or throws under duress. He also wouldn't have displayed anything more than very limited experience navigating a messy pocket like those he will see every Sunday in the NFL. He still would've called all of his play via hand signals and shown minimal experience of working out or a huddle, or making pro style reads. He still would have one of the best o-lines in the country keeping him clean on most plays and an offense full of gadgetry and gimmicks that scheme touchdowns where the defenders isn't within five yards of the recipient.

He is being projected at this stage in the draft process as a 1st rounder against a background of there only being 2 present day QB's around his height, that equals a 6% chance for success. It is going to be quite difficult to find a GM willing to risk those odds with a high pick, so he could drop a bit on draft day, in a draft that appears to have potentially 5 or 6 first rounder QB's.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, Counselor said:

I had a very realistic dream last night that Baker killed himself... maybe just a delay from the Hilsinki incident. 

If he kills himself, it will cripple his draft stock. Hard to see him going in the top 15 if that happens. Might even slip to round 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wonder about the dynamics and positive mental attitude the high character QB's will have after being run over by a DE/LB with as much talent at sacking a QB as the QB has at throwing a football. Unless the QB is strong and resilient, hearing footsteps  definitely alter his playing ability

5 hours ago, honkeytonk said:

I just wonder about the dynamics and positive mental attitude the high character QB's will have after being run over by a DE/LB with as much talent at sacking a QB as the QB has at throwing a football. Unless the QB is strong and resilient, hearing footsteps  definitely alter his playing ability

Woah this sentence made me feel stoned. I got it eventually, but it took me 4x to get what you were saying.

Baker doesn't get rattled in the face of pressure. He calmly moves around the pocket with his eyes down the field. It's why the Manziel comparisons aggravate me so much. He's much more patient and has the poise to hang in there and deliver the ball down the field with a crowded tackle box. Darnold's the most oblivious of the QB's to this. Jackson is the most skittish, but he also has free reign to pull and run because he can get away from 99% of defenders in college. I don't blame him for pulling and running. Josh Allen is probably the best at it because he's so big, strong, and mobile. Plus he keeps his eyes down the field too. Rosen isn't slow, but he has the most traditional QB approach. His dropback is his dropback and when things get rough, he gets sacked or throws it away.

If there's one QB in this class that gets bothered by the pass rush, it's Sam Darnold. And I don't think it bothers his throws that much, it's just that his internal clock seems broken. He never feels pressure and it results in a scary amount of fumbles. This is improvable though, as I don't think he's scared of the pass rush, but rather, oblivious to how bad his LT was getting beat up most games.

Archived