Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

Well if he channels his emotions his leadership skills could be similar to Tim Tebow and he has Johnny Manziel level skill minus coke. I think anyone would love to take that combination. If Manziel had Tebows passion and leadership that may have been the perfect QB. Well that's what is possible with Baker.

I see him being a better Case Keenum at the next level.

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I agree, being over 6'5" is just as bad if not worse, but still, being short isn't pretty either as far as success goes!!!

Who, whoa, who- let's just step back a bit, and take a look at the Pantheon of Tall Quarterbacks over the years:

Sonny Gibbs, forerunner of them all in 1962, towering like a Texas oil derrick!

Image result for Sonny Gibbs NFL

Dan McGwire, at 6'8" as tall as a statue, and almost as mobile (without steroids, too!)

Image result for dan mcgwire

Paxton Lynch, 6'7", but can still pass as one of The Three Musketeers!

Image result for Paxton Lynch

Brock Osweiler, 6'7" (here played by Andy Kaufmann in Standing Tall: the Brock Osweiler Story)

Image result for Brock Osweiler

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

Aside from height, I don't think he's a whole lot like Manziel at all. He's certainly worked harder to get where he's gotten than Manziel has, so you can't question his work ethic or how much he loves the game.

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Ridiculous, this guys intangibles are off the charts. He is a tremendous leader of men. Read the post from NFL.com re: his character.

He is about as far away from Manziel as you can be!

I think people are grossly remembering Manziel as a leader in the wrong light at the college level. Did we already forget that insane comeback in the bowl game? Manziel rallied his team in that game and they showed him on the sidelines calming down Mike Evans early in the game and then getting involved in his defense and special teams throughout the game, hyping them up and trying to keep his teammates in the game.

At the same time, this is the ra-ra stuff you don't see from a lot of QB's in the NFL. Calm, cool and collective. While Manziel was doing that stuff, there was also the incident against Rice for example where he was trash talking defenders and trying to get into their faces after a late TD with A&M up big. Sound familiar? Here's everything from Baker in that Kansas game in case you haven't seen all of it:

This is just immaturity, plain and simple. And it's a pattern with Baker. The planting of the flag, the wearing a shirt that said "traitor" before the Texas Tech game (showing a complete lack of maturity and inability to get over something from the past) and the arrest all within the last calendar year. If you go back even further (I'm shocked this stuff isn't brought up more), but there is a pattern.

• Baker complained about not getting a scholarship offer to TCU. Gary Patterson was asked about this (a guy who has run a pretty good program for a long time) and had this to say in 2016: "If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that’s fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn’t offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker’s dad [James]. He’s an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father." Not exactly a glowing review as Patterson is clearly stating that he, nor Baker's former head coach Kingsbury, thought very highly of Mayfield (or his father apparently) in a positive light.
  • He apparently just has a really hard time letting things go and simply ignoring talk, unnecessarily replying to people on Twitter.
  • Another incident this year was the Baylor game where BEFORE he told them, "“You forgot who daddy is. I’m gonna have to spank you today." Then during the game, he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct that while there isn't video of, it has been said that he stood over an injured Baylor player after a play and proceeded to walk over him.
  • Announced his transfer in the middle of December while his team was preparing for a bowl game because of "miscommunication" with the Tech staff, creating a distraction for his team while they are preparing for a postseason game.
  • His family then continued to make a story out of the transfer, ironically enough in all of this, using the same lawyer Johnny Manziel used against the NCAA.

It just seems like it never ends with the guy. Just this year, you have the arrest, Ohio State flag plant, Baylor incident, Texas Tech incident, and then Kansas incident. Talent-wise, the kid deserves a shot in the 1st despite his height and needing to clean some things up (base gets too wide, doesn't step up in the pocket are my main concerns), but there just seems to be so much else going on.

To sum up, Johnny Manziel displayed great leadership at times on the field too, but he had a boatload of other things going on that should have told us clear as day he wasn't going to work int he league. Baker is looking at a similar situation..

59 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

To sum up, Johnny Manziel displayed great leadership at times on the field too, but he had a boatload of other things going on that should have told us clear as day he wasn't going to work int he league. Baker is looking at a similar situation..

You quoted me, but I said nothing about Manziel being a leader. I talked about work ethic and love for the game. Manziel is from a well off family who clearly loved the fast life more than the game of football, where Mayfield is a 2 school walk on who has fought for everything. While Mayfield had the stupid incident this offseason, I think they have very different make ups mentally.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

You quoted me, but I said nothing about Manziel being a leader. I talked about work ethic and love for the game. Manziel is from a well off family who clearly loved the fast life more than the game of football, where Mayfield is a 2 school walk on who has fought for everything. While Mayfield had the stupid incident this offseason, I think they have very different make ups mentally.

Probably meant to click somebody else's, my bad.

But still, Mayfield doesn't have just one stupid incident off the field. There is a collection of on and off the field issues that paint a picture of an immature individual.

I look at the difference between him and Manziel, I think there are other things to look at beyond leadership/football drive as well. Manziel made a lot of his plays by extending players and almost going off script from what I remember. He was a gun slinger that could in college. Mayfield is working hard within the system that he's given and executing everything throw. I think Mayfield has a higher football IQ, I do think he is a better leader, and he wants to be a football player which is a massive difference. Manziel wanted to be a football player and do everything else partying wise that he already was. I also think that it'll be interesting to see how his last two games go, championship and bowl game (possibly 3 games), because with Kansas and West Virginia, they were clearly trying to get under his skin, and the difference for him between the two games was big. I think it comes down to his drive to play football which will keep him from going crazy like Manziel and keep him from acting out like he did against Kansas, because he wants to be one of the best and he wants to prove to people they should have given him a scholarship.

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Ridiculous, this guys intangibles are off the charts. He is a tremendous leader of men. Read the post from NFL.com re: his character.

He is about as far away from Manziel as you can be!

Yeah you are right. The guy is a saint. What was I ever thinking? Da_Ducktator listed numerous immaturity issues with him. He's a terrific player but has a lot of growing up to do.

14 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I think people are grossly remembering Manziel as a leader in the wrong light at the college level. Did we already forget that insane comeback in the bowl game? Manziel rallied his team in that game and they showed him on the sidelines calming down Mike Evans early in the game and then getting involved in his defense and special teams throughout the game, hyping them up and trying to keep his teammates in the game.

Manziel as a college player and as a pro, are two completely different entities. As a pro, nobody had any respect for him. End of story about his leadership qualities!!!

At the same time, this is the ra-ra stuff you don't see from a lot of QB's in the NFL. Calm, cool and collective. While Manziel was doing that stuff, there was also the incident against Rice for example where he was trash talking defenders and trying to get into their faces after a late TD with A&M up big. Sound familiar? Here's everything from Baker in that Kansas game in case you haven't seen all of it:

This is just immaturity, plain and simple. And it's a pattern with Baker. The planting of the flag, the wearing a shirt that said "traitor" before the Texas Tech game (showing a complete lack of maturity and inability to get over something from the past) and the arrest all within the last calendar year. If you go back even further (I'm shocked this stuff isn't brought up more), but there is a pattern.

Have you ever watched Brees on the sidelines or before a game. Mayfield is the second coming of Brees as a leader!!!

• Baker complained about not getting a scholarship offer to TCU. Gary Patterson was asked about this (a guy who has run a pretty good program for a long time) and had this to say in 2016: "If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that’s fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn’t offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker’s dad [James]. He’s an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father." Not exactly a glowing review as Patterson is clearly stating that he, nor Baker's former head coach Kingsbury, thought very highly of Mayfield (or his father apparently) in a positive light.

Like a lot of short football players, Mayfield had a hard time getting any attention from major colleges, since he is likely under 6' tall, so he carries a chip on his shoulder like a lot of small people do and it just made him work harder to prove them wrong. The pros love this about him!!! He was a walk on and had to work his butt off to even get a scholarship and your comparing him to Manziel, a spoiled rich kid who had everything come easy to him.

• He apparently just has a really hard time letting things go and simply ignoring talk, unnecessarily replying to people on Twitter.
  • Another incident this year was the Baylor game where BEFORE he told them, "“You forgot who daddy is. I’m gonna have to spank you today." Then during the game, he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct that while there isn't video of, it has been said that he stood over an injured Baylor player after a play and proceeded to walk over him.
  • Announced his transfer in the middle of December while his team was preparing for a bowl game because of "miscommunication" with the Tech staff, creating a distraction for his team while they are preparing for a postseason game.
  • His family then continued to make a story out of the transfer, ironically enough in all of this, using the same lawyer Johnny Manziel used against the NCAA.

The pros only care about drugs, alcohol and criminal activity, they do not give a damn about these other things, the pros love his swagger, it fires up his team!!!

It just seems like it never ends with the guy. Just this year, you have the arrest, Ohio State flag plant, Baylor incident, Texas Tech incident, and then Kansas incident. Talent-wise, the kid deserves a shot in the 1st despite his height and needing to clean some things up (base gets too wide, doesn't step up in the pocket are my main concerns), but there just seems to be so much else going on.

He is nothing like Manziel, he is a guy who has had to work hard for everything he has achieved, his work ethic is off the charts as is his leadership qualities. You have to be joking to even mention Manziel as a leader, as a pro he was a complete washout and an addict to boot.

Read my original 1st post on how the NFL views Mayfield and you will see that they love his character, but still question his height and a few correctable technical flaws, but he has through hard work, moved up to become a possible 1st rounder!!!

Archived