Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

14 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I think people are grossly remembering Manziel as a leader in the wrong light at the college level. Did we already forget that insane comeback in the bowl game? Manziel rallied his team in that game and they showed him on the sidelines calming down Mike Evans early in the game and then getting involved in his defense and special teams throughout the game, hyping them up and trying to keep his teammates in the game.

Manziel was not a leader. He was a guy who put on a show for the cameras. He was yelling in the face of a guy who has anger issues and was already ticked off. Leaders don't spend their time partying instead of watching game film.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Because you quoted within my quote, it's not going to show in this post, but with all the exclamation points, you sound like Baker Mayfield's high school friend tying to hype up his buddy. 

Drew Brees hypes his team. Brees motivates his comrades. He doesn't get involved in trash talk on Twitter or pregame with opposing teams or with fans DURING the game. You're grossly brushing all the immaturity issues under the rug in order to hype up somebody you clearly have a fascination with.

And, you say the NFL only cares "drugs, alcohol, and criminal activity." You realize that Baker Mayfield was ARRESTED for DRINKING just this off-season? This wasn't when he was an 18-year old freshman. This was when he was just shy of his 22nd birthday heading into his RS Senior year. He is suppose to be a leader for his team and setting the right example, not getting belligerently drunk in public, arguing with cops, and then trying to flee when the cops question him. 

Immaturity is something that can be fixed and likely will as he grows up. 

The planting of the flag is no big deal in my opinion. Neither is the "Traitor" shirt. Has anyone actually ever heard his side of the story for that? Was it smart? Probably not. Does that mean he will be a headcase in the NFL like Manziel. Absolutely not. 

One arrest where he publicly apologized and has taken steps to correct his life should not define his life. Coaches will fall in love with this kid when they sit down and talk with him. 

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Immaturity is something that can be fixed and likely will as he grows up. 

The planting of the flag is no big deal in my opinion. Neither is the "Traitor" shirt. Has anyone actually ever heard his side of the story for that? Was it smart? Probably not. Does that mean he will be a headcase in the NFL like Manziel. Absolutely not. 

One arrest where he publicly apologized and has taken steps to correct his life should not define his life. Coaches will fall in love with this kid when they sit down and talk with him. 

I don't have an issue with anything he's done enough to warrant reconsideration on where I'd pick him. Like Rosen, a lot of this stuff is silly immaturity, and sometimes it's just Mayfield being fiery. That being said, just because I'm not dinging him for these things doesn't mean I'll ignore them all together and use him as the paragon of virtue and maturity and a beacon of light for off the field behavior

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

What makes you say that?

There has pretty much been only one quarterback with success at the NFL level 6'6" and taller. The best ever is probably Joe Flacco. The sample size is extremely limited however, and it's an arbitrary cut off (do we think that Phillip Rivers or Carson Palmer would have been worse somehow if they were an inch taller?), but at 6'6" and over the results are pretty bad. When you compare that to the guys who have succeeded at 6' and under, it's just amusing that the latter is an issue but the former isn't, even though the latter does have better success overall through the annals of football history. 

In case anybody missed it (now that the video has been deleted), Mayfield was caught on tape intentionally throwing a ball at a TCU player as they ran onto the field for warm-ups. The video has been deleted since because a high school OU fan was the one who posted it and thought it was funny, but apparently didn't like the backlash that came with it.

Gary Patterson was asked about it and said that it was nothing new, that one of his current coaches was at Texas Tech at the same time as Baker it would happen then too.

Mayfield really racking up the maturity points this season..

He's an immature punk with respect/authority and perhaps even legal issues who lacks elite measurables and plays in a spread system if you hate him.

If you love him, you see a fiery competitor who is a gunslinger that plays with a chip on his shoulder with great accuracy and the ability to improvise when things break down around him. 

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's an immature punk with respect/authority and perhaps even legal issues who lacks elite measurables and plays in a spread system if you hate him.

If you love him, you see a fiery competitor who is a gunslinger that plays with a chip on his shoulder with great accuracy and the ability to improvise when things break down around him. 

Not allowed to fall in the middle of that and identify that he is both an immature punk but also possesses great arm talent?

Just now, Da_Ducktator said:

Not allowed to fall in the middle of that and identify that he is both an immature punk but also possesses great arm talent?

This is the NFL Draft/Prospect forum. No fence sitting allowed. Pick a side. LOL.

1 minute ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Mi....dd...le? What is this, "seeing both sides and acknowledging the good and the bad" crap? 

On 11/27/2017 at 5:56 AM, bucsfan333 said:

He's what Manziel was supposed to be. But Mayfield (by all accounts) doesn't party his *** off. Something could come up and prove otherwise. But right now, he'd be my first choice in the draft.

I never saw Manziel once go through his reads as a passer. Mayfield is what some people wanted to believe Manziel was. I agree bucsfan- hes my number 1 qb as well. But he's going to get passed over and make everyone regret it. 

33 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I never saw Manziel once go through his reads as a passer. Mayfield is what some people wanted to believe Manziel was. I agree bucsfan- hes my number 1 qb as well. But he's going to get passed over and make everyone regret it. 

Mayfield isn't a progression thrower, either. If his first read isn't open, he'll try to cause chaos for the defense by threatening to run while keeping his eyes upfield. It's not a negative per se (Manziel was similar), but his NFL coach will likely have to live with that style. He has an above average arm and is confident thrower when he sees it; he's not the type to swallow an open throw. He reminds me of Russell Wilson with about only half (or less) the running ability. Wilson also isn't a progression thrower, but his ability to re-write the play script on the go makes up for it.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:58 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

And, you say the NFL only cares "drugs, alcohol, and criminal activity." You realize that Baker Mayfield was ARRESTED for DRINKING just this off-season? This wasn't when he was an 18-year old freshman. This was when he was just shy of his 22nd birthday heading into his RS Senior year. He is suppose to be a leader for his team and setting the right example, not getting belligerently drunk in public, arguing with cops, and then trying to flee when the cops question him.

They're looking at a history of that happening, not just single incidences.  I mean, how many here haven't gotten too drunk and did something stupid?  I don't think there's a single person on here that hasn't done that at one point or another.  It's literally something that happens all the time.  Does that make him a bad person?  No.  He had a lapse in judgement, and it hasn't been an issue since then.  It shouldn't even be more than a small mention during their evaluation.

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

In case anybody missed it (now that the video has been deleted), Mayfield was caught on tape intentionally throwing a ball at a TCU player as they ran onto the field for warm-ups. The video has been deleted since because a high school OU fan was the one who posted it and thought it was funny, but apparently didn't like the backlash that came with it.

Gary Patterson was asked about it and said that it was nothing new, that one of his current coaches was at Texas Tech at the same time as Baker it would happen then too.

Mayfield really racking up the maturity points this season..

Again, this is a total non-issue.  If this was Sam Darnold, nobody would be give a damn.  But because it's Baker Mayfield, it's a HUGE issue.  Honestly, of all the things that bothered me the most, the Kansas game was the only one I had a major issue with.  The run-in with the cops was poor judgment on his part, and there's been NOTHING to make you believe that this is likely or will happen again.  As for the TCU warm-up, that's not on Baker Mayfield to have to work around the TCU players running through the warm up.  That's my stance, and I'll stick to it.

Archived