2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting CBs (2 Outside and Slot)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?

• Re-sign Patrick Peterson
    • Re-sign Chandon Sullivan
    • Re-sign Duke Shelley
    • Sign an external free agent (outside corner)
    • Sign an external free agent (slot corner)
    • Draft an outside corner
    • Draft a slot corner
    • Start Andrew Booth
    • Start Cam Dantzler
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Now that we have the new DC in Brian Flores in place, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on how the Vikings should address various positions on the team...obviously, this will probably be heavy on the defensive side of the ball since that seems to have the most glaring holes.  Got busy today with work and watching the Chiefs' parade on TV, so there was a delay.  Let's address the cornerback situation...and in a twist to the other polls, I'm asking for you to make multiple selections so we can get a consensus (1 for each spot).  You can pick who to re-sign as well as who to draft or sign in free agency (outside corner or slot corner).  

2022 depth at the position:  Patrick Peterson, Duke Shelley, Chandon Sullivan, Cam Dantzler, Akayleb Evans, Andrew Booth, Kris Boyd, Kalon Barnes

2023 Outgoing Free Agents:  Peterson, Shelley, Sullivan, Boyd

Potential Free Agents Available: Jonathan Jones, Cameron Sutton, Nik Needham, Isaiah Oliver, Artie Burns, Byron Murphy, Joejuan Williams

Potential Draftees:  Devon Witherspoon, Cam Smith, Kelee Ringo, Clark Phillips III, Emmanuel Forbes, DJ Turner, Kyu Blu Kelly, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Deonte Banks, Tyrique Stevenson, Alex Austin

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I picked sign Shelley and a FA (I like Byron Murphy and Greedy Williams). I think the slot position will figure itself out and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bynum takes some of those reps. Gotta rely on the young guys to step up.

Same, except I have no idea what FA I want.....but I trust you. 

Sign a veteran free agent to replace Peterson, as I don’t think he’ll be a natural fit for what Flores likes to do. This team already has a bunch of unproven potential in the CB room, adding another high pick rookie just creates a log jam at practice as those players vie for reps. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sign a veteran free agent to replace Peterson, as I don’t think he’ll be a natural fit for what Flores likes to do. This team already has a bunch of unproven potential in the CB room, adding another high pick rookie just creates a log jam at practice as those players vie for reps. 

I am curious, how does adding a high pick rookie create any more of a log jam in practice than signing a free agent?  Either way, isn't there the same number of guys there for the same number of practice snaps? 

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I am curious, how does adding a high pick rookie create any more of a log jam in practice than signing a free agent?  Either way, isn't there the same number of guys there for the same number of practice snaps? 

I think you’d be surprised by how few reps vet players (and by vet players I’m referring to guys with 6+ years under their belt) take during mini camps, OTAs, and the early portion of training camp. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Favorite slot cbs to target?

Jonathan Jones - age 29 - 2022 PFF 68.1

Cameron Sutton - age 27 -  71.6

Sean Murphy Bunting - age 25 - 76.6

Byron Murphy - age 25 - 66.7

Isaiah Oliver - age 26 - 77.9

Tavierre Thomas - age 26 - 70.0

Nik Needham - age 26 - 63.7

Danny Johnson - age 27 - 81.0 (similar trajectory to Duke Shelley with us)

Joshua Kalu - age 27 - 68.0

32 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Jonathan Jones - age 29 - 2022 PFF 68.1

Cameron Sutton - age 27 -  71.6

Sean Murphy Bunting - age 25 - 76.6

Byron Murphy - age 25 - 66.7

Isaiah Oliver - age 26 - 77.9

Tavierre Thomas - age 26 - 70.0

Nik Needham - age 26 - 63.7

Danny Johnson - age 27 - 81.0 (similar trajectory to Duke Shelley with us)

Joshua Kalu - age 27 - 68.0

Sutton has the Flores connection, but I think he'll be pretty expensive if he and the Steelers can't get something done by tomorrow when his contract voids.

I'd bring back Shelley and then look to draft another CB. As I've been messing around with mock draft systems, I don't hate the idea of drafting one in round one after a small move down. But it's hard to say, it depends so much on what the Vikings think the health of Evans and Booth will be in my opinion. But I'd say bring back Shelley and then go from there.

If there’s any FA dollars to play with, I think it needs to be heavily spent on CBs. I agree with the need to move on from Peterson for a better fit for Flores defense. Would also bring back Shelley. Realistically, we need to sign one good starting FA and likely resign Shelley. And spend a first on a CB. I Don’t trust any of the young holdovers for the new defense like Booth and Dantzler but they may be forced to play. 

6 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I'd bring back Shelley and then look to draft another CB. As I've been messing around with mock draft systems, I don't hate the idea of drafting one in round one after a small move down. But it's hard to say, it depends so much on what the Vikings think the health of Evans and Booth will be in my opinion. But I'd say bring back Shelley and then go from there.

I've been feeling Deonte Banks lately. Really really good lateral movement, bigger dude at 205lbs, plays pretty tough, plays lots of press man.

Move on from PP7, resign Duke, add a FA slot CB, let Dantzler, Booth, Evans, and Shelley fight it out for the outside CB spots.

I understand the injury concerns and histories of Dantzler, Booth, and Evans. If a Flores CB is there when we pick I would 100% understand the selection. Cam is in the final year of his rookie contract as well, big year for him.