2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting CBs (2 Outside and Slot)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?

• Re-sign Patrick Peterson
    • Re-sign Chandon Sullivan
    • Re-sign Duke Shelley
    • Sign an external free agent (outside corner)
    • Sign an external free agent (slot corner)
    • Draft an outside corner
    • Draft a slot corner
    • Start Andrew Booth
    • Start Cam Dantzler
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They absolutely need at least one veteran, I'd be shocked if it isn't two. And then not any draft picks. I expect a DL or ILB after they trade down. Unless they take a center in round one. 

It’s such a deep cb draft that you should grab one, maybe one in rounds 3-5. 

but I also think there will be a 2-3 veteran signings too 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

they are going to sign cbs. Most likely a few! The strategy on which few is what interests me the most. Will it be one big fish and then couple small bargains? Will it be a couple mid tier guys? How many with inside ability? 

I’m guessing we’ll see one vet signed relatively early. Only way I seen them signing multiple veterans is if one can play the slot. 

And I wouldn’t be shocked if that vet doesn’t get signed until after the draft. 

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah....and you stood by Bisi Johnson as well didn't you when I brought up a laundry list of guys they should have picked instead of him and at or near the top of that list was Jakobi Meyers.  How is he and Bisi doing now?  Pretty sure similar things were said, quit bringing up Bisi, he is good etc etc...

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

Since we are into snide commentary...

Focus. This is a thread about cornerback options for the Vikings in 2023.

We have a thread about Bisi Johnson somewhere and a handy search tool to help you find it if you still need to pound your chest. Tag him there and have at it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Getting back on topic. Right now we got 

Andrew booth 

akayleb evans 

kalon barnes 

Tay Gowan

even if they wanted to, you can’t address this position group just via the draft. 

they are going to sign cbs. Most likely a few! The strategy on which few is what interests me the most. Will it be one big fish and then couple small bargains? Will it be a couple mid tier guys? How many with inside ability? 

I think that's why they let go of Dantzler instead of keeping him for depth.  This allows them to improve the position with a free agent or 2 and a draft pick while still have Booth and Evans for depth

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Meh, that money doesn't seem too bad to be honest. I imagine having the loaded cb draft class is depressing the free agent cb market a bit; at least compared to the OL and IDL deals we've seen.

For a 3rd contract, it’s quite a bit. 

Byron Murphy
Andrew Booth
Akayleb Evans
Kalon Barnes
Tay Gowan

Not a bad start. I’d like to see them bring back Duke Shelley, or if he’s not a fit for Flores, find a similar tier vet. Maybe check out Byron Jones. If the team’s doctors sign off on him, he could be a solid addition. 

Then head into the draft. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Byron Murphy
Andrew Booth
Akayleb Evans
Kalon Barnes
Tay Gowan

Not a bad start. I’d like to see them bring back Duke Shelley, or if he’s not a fit for Flores, find a similar tier vet. Maybe check out Byron Jones. If the team’s doctors sign off on him, he could be a solid addition. 

Then head into the draft. 

Gigantic if. He said he couldn’t run or jump anymore - sounds problematic for a db…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Gigantic if. He said he couldn’t run or jump anymore - sounds problematic for a db…

It is a gigantic if, but one certainly worth exploring if he’s not going to retire. 

If Jones is out there looking for a team to sign with, and the Vikings’ medical staff gives the ok, then he’s a player that would make sense. 

• Like 1