2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: Starting CBs (2 Outside and Slot)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting CBs?

• Re-sign Patrick Peterson
    • Re-sign Chandon Sullivan
    • Re-sign Duke Shelley
    • Sign an external free agent (outside corner)
    • Sign an external free agent (slot corner)
    • Draft an outside corner
    • Draft a slot corner
    • Start Andrew Booth
    • Start Cam Dantzler
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

34 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, Jordan Reid disagrees with you @Boda, as it's not anticipated that Flores' scheme will be zone-heavy...and in fact, will be the complete opposite.

I disagree with him but man I really respect his opinion

If the Vikes pick a CB in Rd 1, I hope its Porter II . . . 4.45, 1.5 split, 35" V, 10' 9" broad.

BUT, another, mid-round guy to take a long look at is Darius Rush . . . 4.36, 1.51, 35" and 10' 1".    Why do I compare these two?   Both have wingspan of 80" +.  

I bring this up because reach matters, inches matter, and for comparison Akayleb Evans had same general size and speed, but "only" a 74 1/4" wingspan . . . And he played well as a rookie.  I suspect with Rush's numbers at the combine and his reach (if he has any fluidity) he's climbing boards like crazy.   Would he be there in Rd 3?  

Oh, one last thing, Sauce Gardner's wingspan is 79 3/4"  . . . Tariq Woolen 78 5/8".  This one feature alone doesn't mean a kid's going to be a good player, but when the speed matches up, 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to put this in the draft talk specifically, since that thread can get bogged down by all kinds of various draft-related talk.  This article is specifically about the CBs in this draft and the risk that may be involved in taking each one...

Predicting a cornerback’s success in college has been one of the most difficult things for analysts and NFL franchises. In the last few years many of the best cornerbacks in college turned out to be middling or busts in the NFL. Why?

Out of the 34 cornerbacks drafted in the first and second rounds since 2019, only two (!) have improved on their college PFF coverage grade – Sauce Gardner and Kaiir Elam.

With that known, let’s take a look at some of the top cornerbacks in the 2023 NFL Draft, and which ones would be the safest and most risky picks for the Vikings…

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/is-cornerback-a-risky-position-for-the-vikings-in-the-draft

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I didn't want to put this in the draft talk specifically, since that thread can get bogged down by all kinds of various draft-related talk.  This article is specifically about the CBs in this draft and the risk that may be involved in taking each one...

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/is-cornerback-a-risky-position-for-the-vikings-in-the-draft

This is a really good article. Thanks,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Joejuan Williams bring brought in that helps a ton.  He is super talented, has never quite taken the next step but is a big corner and he can be the backup to Evans on the outside in case Evans gets hurt again.  Solid pickup, curious how much he gets a year but good talented player.  

Curious if they believe Murphy is a slot only guy or not.  I am not sold on Booth as the other corner but Booth cannot play the slot and neither can any other DB on the roster so maybe that is where they go with it.  

Makes WR in the 1st a lot more likely, hopefully it is Addison and his route running.  Curious what they would do if Banks is still there or another top corner drops to them.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Curious if they believe Murphy is a slot only guy or not.

Coach KO mentioned the STAR position in reference to Murphy. When Ramsey was with the Rams, they moved him around; inside, outside, slot, they basically had him shadow the other teams receiver. 

He mentioned Murphy in the same light, where they are comfortable with him playing inside or outside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2023 CB Room - Vikings kept 6 CBs on the 2022 roster.

Pre-Flores hiring:

1. Andrew Booth Jr. (2022 2nd rounder)
2. Akayleb Evans (2022 4th rounder)
3. Tay Gowan (2022 Vikings PS)
4. Kalon Barnes (Signed off Dolphins PS in December 2022)

Post-Flores hiring:

1. Byron Murphy Jr. (2023 FA addition)
2. Joejuan Williams (2023 FA addition)
3. Mekhi Blackmon (2023 3rd rounder)
4. Jay Ward (2023 4th rounder)
5. C.J. Coldon (2023 UDFA)
6. NaJee Thompson (2023 UDFA)
7. Jaylin Williams (2023 UDFA)

I would expect those in bold to make the final 53 man roster. That leaves 6 guys fighting for 1-3 spots (depends on what position Ward makes the roster as).

I love the youth in the room. Murphy Jr. and Williams are the Seniors in the room, with 5 years NFL experience. Everyone else is going into their rookie year or 2nd year. Should make for a great camp competition for those CB 5, 6, and possibly 7 spots.

• Like 3

Booth and Evans spoke with Twin Cities media members this week after an on-field workout by the defense, which is now being led by new Defensive Coordinator Brian Flores.

Booth: "Learning how to become a pro was what my rookie year was about. I dealt with a lot of injuries, just learning how to be a pro and take care of your body. Your body is what's going to get you through this, and that's what's going to provide my longevity. It's work that has to be done outside this facility; even if I'm in the training room and I just live there, there's work I have to do at home. I can go different places to get that extra treatment. They say our bodies are like Ferraris, so we've got to treat them a certain way."

After appearing in 10 games and making two starts before being sidelined by concussions, Evans is focused on technique and mindset. He also talked to Peterson, who signed with the Steelers during free agency, and defensive backs coach Daronte Jones at the end of last season, "just about how I tackle."

Evans:  "First, I think it's about my mindset. Not every single tackle has to be as hard as I can, right? So being smart about that, but whenever I do go in to make a tackle, just being smart about keeping my head out of it and being intentional. I was in protocol, so they considered it a concussion, but I was fine. I understand they wanted to be safe. I have a lot more life to live after football, so it was a smart thing to do."

In addition to focusing on his technique, Evans will be custom-fit with a new helmet next week.

https://www.vikings.com/news/andrew-booth-akayleb-evans-rookie-lessons-2nd-seasons

• Like 1