2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Can somebody explain to me why we are likely losing Dre'mont?

Well, he made it pretty clear with his comments in November he wanted to leave, so who says this is our decision? Would we really want to franchise tag him and pay him that insane amount? That wasn't going to happen.

Like I mentioned in another thread - you usually find that players of DreMont's career curve tend to be the biggest winners in Free Agency. Not good enough to franchise tag so they hit the open market, shown enough for team's to pay an amount for the player you COULD be, but current team not willing to pay that because they know the player you ARE right now.

I don't think he had a particularly good season. Just my opinion. I thought his effort in Run Defense was, at times, pathetic. Maybe he knew this kind of payday was around the corner so he was protecting himself. Hard to argue with the logic when you look at the numbers being thrown around for him.

• Like 1

So we’re on the board with OL.   A little surprised we went with Powers as he’s more pass-pro prominent overall (but was excellent in both facets last year) - but should recognize he’s also a true LG.    I’ll certainly give the benefit of the doubt to Payton & co. given their OL track record.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, he made it pretty clear with his comments in November he wanted to leave, so who says this is our decision? Would we really want to franchise tag him and pay him that insane amount? That wasn't going to happen.

Like I mentioned in another thread - you usually find that players of DreMont's career curve tend to be the biggest winners in Free Agency. Not good enough to franchise tag so they hit the open market, shown enough for team's to pay an amount for the player you COULD be, but current team not willing to pay that because they know the player you ARE right now.

I don't think he had a particularly good season. Just my opinion. I thought his effort in Run Defense was, at times, pathetic. Maybe he knew this kind of payday was around the corner so he was protecting himself. Hard to argue with the logic when you look at the numbers being thrown around for him.

I guess...its just strange to let both chubb/jones leave and create another glaring hole on your roster you need to fix through the draft/FA. Put the shoe on the other foot; if the Broncos were in the market for a DT and Jones was being made available, would you not be really happy if the Broncos were able to land him?

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Clear direction change with the pivot from Risner to Powers. Payton likes big *** kicking linemen and Powers fits that mold. 

At 13M AAV he likely negates Risner signing in comp picks but don’t think he’d negate Dre’mont if he got 18-20M AAV.    Obv he’ll only negate 1 guy.   

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I guess...its just strange to let both chubb/jones leave and create another glaring hole on your roster you need to fix through the draft/FA. Put the shoe on the other foot; if the Broncos were in the market for a DT and Jones was being made available, would you not be really happy if the Broncos were able to land him?

I don’t think anyone would argue if Dre’mont had been extended last year at sub-15M AAV.   But top of the market rates are just awfully hard to justify.   

I suspect we’ll kick the tires on Beau Allen at substantially less $.   Not as disruptive as Dre’mont but also stays on field and better vs.  run.  Wouldn’t be surprised by a 1/5M type deal with Shelby Harris too.    

Letting Chubb go for a 1st instead of paying 20M AAV was a no-brainer move.    The fact we spent it for Payton doesn’t change the value gain.   

Edited by Broncofan

Can’t say it’s awful to get a backup who’s flashed.   At 5M guaranteed for a 2-year deal it’s fine.  

Interesting that he didn’t want to stay in Vegas and potentially start as a stopgap if they drafted QB (Guessing McD wants JimmyG). 

Edited by Broncofan

Love how in less than two hours, the OL has gone from a weakness to a strength.

Bolles-Powers-Cushenberry-Meinerz-McGlinchey

Thats one of the better lines in football IMO.

I’d still prefer a new OC as Cushenberry hasn’t been great but maybe having such talented players around him will help him develop. 

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

Love how in less than two hours, the OL has gone from a weakness to a strength.

Bolles-Powers-Cushenberry-Meinerz-McGlinchey

Thats one of the better lines in football IMO.

I’d still prefer a new OC as Cushenberry hasn’t been great but maybe having such talented players around him will help him develop. 

Slow down man ...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lol, I’d love to see the backup try to enforce the Patriot Way to Sean effing Payton. 

You know I was just being a smartass. Read he’s know Davis Webb since they were kids. 

Another good move in getting McGlinchy. $50m is steep but RT will now longer be a revolving door. 

• Like 1