2023 off-season thread

paul-mac

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I personally would have rather kept spinning the wheel with Cam Fleming types than overpay McGlinchey, who is an elite run blocker but really no better than some of the scrubs we’ve had in pass pro.

At that $, Payton & Strief have got to be thinking they can address his pass pro issues - not only gets beat too much to be a top tier RT, but also often takes penalties as a result (both FS & holding).    His excellence in run blocking does meet what Payton is looking for in his OL identity-wise.   

I love the Powers signing, I'm more worried about McGlinchy TBH.     I think we're likely going to target a R3 center to compete with Cush now rather than look for a 3rd starting FA.    But I do appreciate that Paton & Payton realized that trenches are where we needed to upgrade.    I do like the fact both guys are young; spending big money on 3rd contracts pretty much never works out (no guarantees 2nd ones do, but top tier 3rd's are far worse). 

Still need to beef up the DL - Beau Allen & a value vet (Shelby Harris is now available) still the lean, esp if Allen is in a more affordable tier of DE's.

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

All these protection upgrades just for Russ to continue getting sacked for holding the ball too long 

Do you think play calling had anything to do with it, along with receivers not getting open?  Sure some of the blame is on Russ, but I don't think all of it is.  And if I am wrong, and Russ plays like sh***t, I think Payton has the stones to bench him for Stidham. 

Glad we're making OL a priority and I do like these signings. I think I would've preferred McGary to McGlinchey but this is a huge step in the right direction.

I also REALLY like Stidham at backup QB. I wouldn't be shocked if they use him in select subpackages either.

I'm expecting a DL signing and then some depth beyond that. Big chunk of Powers' $$ in Year 1 is a signing bonus so we have some additional space to play with.

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wonder if they’ll look at bringing Shelby Harris back, I believe he was here under Vance so that could work in our favor. 

That would be cool.  He seemed to also like being a Bronco.  Alas, I hope they just keep building up the trenches.  Just spend it all there, and find late round gems for depth.  The only exception is that I think I heard that the Chargers (I was on a conference call) that the Chargers are going to make Eckler available...if that comes to fruition...bring the boy home! 

23 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

That would be cool.  He seemed to also like being a Bronco.  Alas, I hope they just keep building up the trenches.  Just spend it all there, and find late round gems for depth.  The only exception is that I think I heard that the Chargers (I was on a conference call) that the Chargers are going to make Eckler available...if that comes to fruition...bring the boy home! 

From what I understand Eckler wants a new contract and he and the Chargers aren’t close to terms so he’s looking to get paid. Great as he is, I wouldn’t throw big money at any RB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

From what I understand Eckler wants a new contract and he and the Chargers aren’t close to terms so he’s looking to get paid. Great as he is, I wouldn’t throw big money at any RB.

I thought he just got a raise, and thought the Chargers were clearing cap space.  But if he wants another raise and gets it I hope Wasted States gets a huge donation. 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Do you think play calling had anything to do with it, along with receivers not getting open?  Sure some of the blame is on Russ, but I don't think all of it is.  And if I am wrong, and Russ plays like sh***t, I think Payton has the stones to bench him for Stidham. 

I mean it just seems like he was downright lost 

• Like 1

I think Russ just sucks. I think he is, and has been, more concerned with fame and image and “his brand” than he is with football for more than a few seasons now. 

I think Carroll and Seattle masked it for a long time - not unlike how Tomlin/the Steelers hid the fact that Antonio Brown was insane - and now the Broncos are going to “beef up” where they can so if/when Russ falls on his face again next year they can cut bait without being criticized. It’s that or Russ plays well and everything works out. 

Either the Walmarts/Sean get to rebuild from the ground up or they get a competitive team with a few pieces that makes the org relevant before they go ask the taxpayers to pay $1B for their new stadium. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think Russ just sucks. I think he is, and has been, more concerned with fame and image and “his brand” than he is with football for more than a few seasons now. 

I think Carroll and Seattle masked it for a long time - not unlike how Tomlin/the Steelers hid the fact that Antonio Brown was insane - and now the Broncos are going to “beef up” where they can so if/when Russ falls on his face again next year they can cut bait without being criticized. It’s that or Russ plays well and everything works out. 

Either the Walmarts/Sean get to rebuild from the ground up or they get a competitive team with a few pieces that makes the org relevant before they go ask the taxpayers to pay $1B for their new stadium. 

I don't know why these cities put up with it. The NFL gets a lot of the proceeds for ticket sales and things like that. Cities aren't helped as much as people think by new stadiums and arenas.