Stop Wasting Timeouts To Save 5 Yards

KingOfNewYork

Depends on team composition. With a healthy Stafford/Kupp and a good offensive line (i.e. 2021)....I'd rather save the timeout

For the Rams in 2022....a five yard penalty kills a drive what felt like every time. Is a timeout worth increasing your odds of extending a drive? I think the answer to that is yes in the first half, probably no in the second half.....but again it depends on the situation. Are we winning in the second half? By how much?

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Or how about get the snap out on time so you don’t have to waste a timeout? That would be the optimal solution, Philly went down to the wire way to much.

That too, I’ve seen a lot of teams getting to the huddle late, out the huddle late and playing with fire on the play clock far too often. Receivers and Backs spend too much time taunting. 

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That too, I’ve seen a lot of teams getting to the huddle late, out the huddle late and playing with fire on the play clock far too often. Receivers and Backs spend too much time taunting. 

Like I get they were purposefully running down the clock to keep Mahomes on the sideline, but when you do that a Defense can time the snap count really well. It’s easy to fire off the line into a pass rush/run defense when there’s one second on the clock as opposed to say 5 or 10.

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

This is why I've come to be less angry about that timeless coach speak praise of QBs that "they know how to operate a huddle". Yeah, that seems simple and a dumb aspect to praise, but it is very important. It's still coach speak, but I'm not rolling my eyes about it anymore.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

This is why I've come to be less angry about that timeless coach speak praise of QBs that "they know how to operate a huddle". Yeah, that seems simple and a dumb aspect to praise, but it is very important. It's still coach speak, but I'm not rolling my eyes about it anymore.

With Alex Smith the Chiefs were routinely getting plays out within 5 seconds, sometimes down to 1 second left before the snap. With Mahomes it’s closer to 10, and all of a sudden Reid’s clock management issues have nearly evaporated 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

With Alex Smith the Chiefs were routinely getting plays out within 5 seconds, sometimes down to 1 second left before the snap. With Mahomes it’s closer to 10, and all of a sudden Reid’s clock management issues have nearly evaporated 

It's super important! You sometimes forget or overlook all the little things QBs have to do just to function as a QB at the most basic level. Every QB you see not wearing an armband has to have very quick and detailed short term memory recall. I had to ask the officiant to repeat what I had to say at my own wedding, and I promise you that line was shorter than just about every play call outside of a victory formation kneel down. They've got to be able to hear well too. Those stadiums get loud, and asking for a play repeated even once over a headset could be the difference between a delay of game penalty or a big play.

• Like 1