2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Now that we have the new DC in Brian Flores in place, I'd like to gauge people's opinions on how the Vikings should address various positions on the team...obviously, this will probably be heavy on the defensive side of the ball since that seems to have the most glaring holes.  Today, I'd like to cover who the wide receiver after Justin Jefferson should be.

2022 depth at the position:  Justin Jefferson, Adam Thielen, KJ Osborn, Jalen Reagor, Jalen Nailor, Olabisi Johnson, Thomas Hennigan, Trishton Jackson, Dan Chisena, Blake Proehl

2023 Outgoing Free Agents:  Johnson, Chisena (signed with Steelers)

Potential Free Agents Available: DJ Chark, Byron Pringle, Allen Lazard, JuJu Smith-Schuster, N'Keal Harry, Ashton Dulin, Keelan Cole, Mecole Hardman, Parris Campbell 

Potential Draftees:  Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers, Marvin Mims, Trey Palmer, Dontayvion Wicks, Andrei Iosivas

49 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Don’t retain Adam. 
Promote Osborn

Draft another WR later. 
Pass more to our TJ Hock

Yes promote Osborn. Think he’s earned it. I’d let Thielen be the third WR on a pay cut which is basically a starter in this offense. Draft a vertical threat in the mid rounds. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I think they should renegotiate Thielen AND bring in a free agent. My preferences in free agency would be DJ Chark or Parris Campbell.

I like this a lot. I choose sign free agent and was specifically thinking Chark. Need that deep threat and think he would be a good one. Plus he would give us a little insight on the Lions O tendencies that we might not otherwise think of. I think with a lack of big production and some injuries he would be fairly cheap.

We dont need a big time #2 next to Jefferson like a Higgins (though it would be nice). Just need Osborn to keep making the next leap, Hock to keep the middle occupied, Thielen to be consistent and another to help keep the D honest with deep shots. And we also need to make some major strides in the screen game, it was atrocious at times last year.

• Like 2

As has been true of the last several drafts, the receiver position is probably the most over valued position other than quarterback.  I think that there is likely to be plenty of value later in the draft for a WR, but, in my opinion, I don't think the Vikings really have need for a receiver, especially when the need is far greater on the defense.  I would be very, very cautious about drafting a receiver this year.  I think the greatest likelihood is that the Vikings draft ILB and Nose Tackle early.  Yes, even before secondary.

5 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

As has been true of the last several drafts, the receiver position is probably the most over valued position other than quarterback.  I think that there is likely to be plenty of value later in the draft for a WR, but, in my opinion, I don't think the Vikings really have need for a receiver, especially when the need is far greater on the defense.  I would be very, very cautious about drafting a receiver this year.  I think the greatest likelihood is that the Vikings draft ILB and Nose Tackle early.  Yes, even before secondary.

If they bring back Thielen, I don’t think it needs to be highly prioritized. Still think they could find a player to carve out a niche role as a deep threat. Can they add someone like that fourth or fifth? 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If they bring back Thielen, I don’t think it needs to be highly prioritized. Still think they could find a player to carve out a niche role as a deep threat. Can they add someone like that fourth or fifth? 

I'd just as soon have them use Nailor if they are going that route. He has a year of experience in the offense, production when given an opportunity, and the traits you're talking about. If they are going to draft someone they should do it early on a guy that might be a difference maker early on, not a niche player. That's why I'm in favor of the FA route.

• Like 2