2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Before TJ this was draft WR and cut Adam. I would still say cut Adam and sign a deep threat #3/2. Reason, Adam is not going to be happy in a reduce role and the Vikings need cap space. KJ and Adam basically play the same role. Kirk is a really good deep passer but there's no deep threat outside JJ and he's already being doubled every play.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t understand the thinking of moving on from Thielen, only to spend even more money on a lesser receiver to replace him.

And then need to somehow re-sign Osborn along with extensions for Jefferson and Hockenson.

Thinking it has more to do with finding a different type of player for this offense. Can’t Osborn do a lot of what Thielen does? 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Thinking it has more to do with finding a different type of player for this offense. Can’t Osborn do a lot of what Thielen does? 

To an extent. But if you’re looking for a different skill set find it in the draft. 

Getting rid of a good player for a lesser player, while spending more money on the lesser player, just because they have a different skill set is just plain stupid. 

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

To an extent. But if you’re looking for a different skill set find it in the draft. 

Getting rid of a good player for a lesser player, while spending more money on the lesser player, just because they have a different skill set is just plain stupid. 

The intent would be to spend less then what they are set to spend on Thielen. Also Thielen skill set is reducing and likely going down further, so that is factored in as well. 

4. Odds seem to be increasing that Adam Thielen ends up elsewhere

One player has upped his chances of landing in the “goes” category: Adam Thielen. It seems that his role in the offense is an issue, which is a little bizarre considering his age and that playing a secondary role to Justin Jefferson was inevitable and helped lead them to a top-10 offense.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/20-vikings-related-takeaways-from-the-nfl-combine

I'm thinking if Adam stays, he slides down to a #3, possibly even a #4, a great rotational veteran.  

I'm confident KJ is a capable #2, and I do believe the young guys on the roster can fit the bill.   It would be great though, to have a 6' 4" WR to go high in the red zone.

There just aren't many of those types of guys, especially ones who last into day 3.  

30 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm thinking if Adam stays, he slides down to a #3, possibly even a #4, a great rotational veteran.  

I'm confident KJ is a capable #2, and I do believe the young guys on the roster can fit the bill.   It would be great though, to have a 6' 4" WR to go high in the red zone.

There just aren't many of those types of guys, especially ones who last into day 3.  

DJ Chark

6’ 4”

4.34 40

Not only a red zone threat, a WR that can open things up for JJ. Win-win

21 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

DJ Chark

6’ 4”

4.34 40

Not only a red zone threat, a WR that can open things up for JJ. Win-win

Very true . . .  As could Galloday.   But either will cost way more than a rookie.  Too many moving parts for me😆  if the kid from WV is available, take a flyer . . . Vikes did ok with that other trouble-maker from WV.  Otherwise, Stanford has the Higgins guy who, if he had a QB, could've been more productive.   Final prospect is the Arkansas WR . . . Maybe one of these, or an unknown-until-pro-day prospect, proves a worthy 5th or 6th?

5 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Very true . . .  As could Galloday.   But either will cost way more than a rookie.  Too many moving parts for me😆  if the kid from WV is available, take a flyer . . . Vikes did ok with that other trouble-maker from WV.  Otherwise, Stanford has the Higgins guy who, if he had a QB, could've been more productive.   Final prospect is the Arkansas WR . . . Maybe one of these, or an unknown-until-pro-day prospect, proves a worthy 5th or 6th?

I'd rather spend the money on Chark than try to rely on a 3rd or 4th round rookie. Getting the defense to respect the downfield pass game is too important to unleashing JJ. Chark can be that guy and not have to do a whole lot more. They know he's capable of it. Even moreso than replacing Bradbury and figuring out what to do at RB, findng that deep threat is the biggest priority for the offense. It will add a dimension we just don't have at the moment.

Plus, those draft picks are gonna be needed to upgrade the defense.