2023 Sign, Draft, or Promote: #2 WR

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the #2 WR

• Renegotiate and Retain Adam Thielen
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new WR
    • Promote KJ Osborn
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd rather spend the money on Chark than try to rely on a 3rd or 4th round rookie. Getting the defense to respect the downfield pass game is too important to unleashing JJ. Chark can be that guy and not have to do a whole lot more. They know he's capable of it. Even moreso than replacing Bradbury and figuring out what to do at RB, findng that deep threat is the biggest priority for the offense. It will add a dimension we just don't have at the moment.

Plus, those draft picks are gonna be needed to upgrade the defense. 

I'm thinking defenses are scared to death of JJ being JJ.  We just made the-Jared-Allen-Trade-of-TEs for Hock -- the guy's a weapon.  So, for the #2, you need a guy with skill and humility . . . Someone who can step in if JJ gets injured.  Remember when Moss pulled his hammy . . . What that did to the passing game back then?  As it stands today, I believe in Theilen and Osborn carrying the torch.  KJ's proven deadly and yet, in his interviews, he comes off as understanding his place in the pecking order of the Vikes' WR room.  He's skilled and hungry, but humble - willing to work for his opportunities.  If it's only KJ, we need a guy who's able to follow that mantra. 

That means, the anti-Troy Williamson - someone with hands.   No Laquel Treadwell - some willing to work and maximize his gifts.   That's the picture I'd paint . . . 

On the flip, yes, the defense needs help too and if somebody can guarantee those late rounders are better off succeeding than a WR --- I've got palm trees for ya up here . . . In Fairbanks😉

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well my pipe dream of JSN is probably gone. Still my #1 receiver. 

I'm not sure. I think he still might be there at 23. Right now everyone is coming off a combine high but he still have questions

1. his long speed

2. confined to the slot only in the NFL?

3. his health. best ability is availability and he hasn't really shown that.

12 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

The Vikings should trade a pick for Rashod Bateman!

As much as I like Bateman's potential, he doesn't serve any need for the Vikings.  He's not a long-speed guy, which is what they need.  His skill set is not all that different from what they already have in JJ, Thielen and Osborn.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As much as I like Bateman's potential, he doesn't serve any need for the Vikings.  He's not a long-speed guy, which is what they need.  His skill set is not all that different from what they already have in JJ, Thielen and Osborn.

4.43 40!

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

4.43 40!

That was Justin Jefferson's as well.  Doesn't change my opinion.  JJ can certainly run long, but it's not his strength...that's the same with Bateman as far as I'm concerned.  They need a Troy Williamson-type that can actually catch the ball. 

Edited by swede700

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That was Justin Jefferson's as well.  Doesn't change my opinion.  JJ can certainly run long, but it's not his strength...that's the same with Bateman as far as I'm concerned.  They need a Troy Williamson-type that can actually catch the ball. 

I think Bateman is worth exploring. He's an all around WR and requires attention from the defense. I'm not sure how strained his relationship is with Baltimore, but I am not opposed to bringing him back home!

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I think Bateman is worth exploring. He's an all around WR and requires attention from the defense. I'm not sure how strained his relationship is with Baltimore, but I am not opposed to bringing him back home!

I'm certainly not opposed to it, but he wouldn't be anywhere near a priority for me for the #2 spot.  I think we need more diversity of skills in the WR corps...right now, the only one that offers a true speed game is Reagor, and as we've seen he's not great and is more of a RB/WR than a true WR.  It's nice to have some interchangeable parts, but JJ, Thielen, Osborn and now Nailor, all are really in the same realm of skillset.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm certainly not opposed to it, but he wouldn't be anywhere near a priority for me for the #2 spot.  I think we need more diversity of skills in the WR corps...right now, the only one that offers a true speed game is Reagor, and as we've seen he's not great and is more of a RB/WR than a true WR.  It's nice to have some interchangeable parts, but JJ, Thielen, Osborn and now Nailor, all are really in the same realm of skillset.  

I would love a guy to take the top off, too, but look at the 49ers and the Rams offenses. They are built around good all around route runners and separation guys (Kupp, formerly Woods, and OBJ in LA, Samuel and Ayuik in SF) and don't have a true vertical threat. I don't recall a ton of 9 routes in this offense and having a 1 trick pony makes that predictable.

What I would like even more is a bigger, big catch radius, high point kind of receiver. Having Hockenson and another guy that can win on size alone will be more effective in this offensive scheme, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think we need more diversity of skills in the WR corps...right now, the only one that offers a true speed game is Reagor, and as we've seen he's not great and is more of a RB/WR than a true WR.

Still hoping Coach McCardell can work some magic with him.

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Speaking of OBJ, I haven’t seen his name mentioned as a possible FA addition, especially if Thielen is out. 

Well if he was looking for $20MM a year last season, even a significant reduction in his demand would likely price him out.

Do the Vikings have a WR on the roster who ran, or runs, sub-4.35?  If not, yes, a guy like that can certainly help in certain situations.  

But, more often than not, straight-line speed hurts your offense.  Long gone are the days of Randy Moss poking his hand in the air and taking flight.  Defenses figured that out.  We are witness to "scheme open" route running, so a guy that only really gets running go-routes, limits you.  I'd much rather have a JJ with AT and KJ than a John Ross and DeSean Jackson.

As the years pass, I can't believe we got to watch 3-Deep . . . I don't think there'll ever be a receiving corps like that ever again.  

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Do the Vikings have a WR on the roster who ran, or runs, sub-4.35?  If not, yes, a guy like that can certainly help in certain situations.  

But, more often than not, straight-line speed hurts your offense.  Long gone are the days of Randy Moss poking his hand in the air and taking flight.  Defenses figured that out.  We are witness to "scheme open" route running, so a guy that only really gets running go-routes, limits you.  I'd much rather have a JJ with AT and KJ than a John Ross and DeSean Jackson.

As the years pass, I can't believe we got to watch 3-Deep . . . I don't think there'll ever be a receiving corps like that ever again.  

I'm certainly not asking for a guy who can only run fly routes.  But they do need a guy that can fly...the Chiefs have truly built their offense on that style of player, and the Vikings really only have Reagor that is even close to that, because they need to have that threat. 

the only 3 FA WRs I would be interested in are:

1. DJ Chark

2. Mecole Hardman

3. Parris Campbell

I dont think anyone else

A. really fits what they need

B. Is a big enough difference maker to bring in.

Then I would be looking at the draft to upgrade. I like some 1st round targets, I like some 3rd round targets; and then there are some I like that could drop on day 5 to the 5th or so that they could snag.

Edited by battle2heaven