Training Camp Battle 2017 - Ravens Offensive Line Edition

drd23

Obviously how the offensive line works itself out will probably be major story of our TC this year as there is a lot of uncertainty at 2-3 positions at present.

Obviously LT and RG are locked down by Ronnie Stanley and Marshal Yanda respectively, but who really knows who will line up at LG, C or RT come Week 1.

Let's use this thread specifically to post news and discuss these TC battles in particular

• 4 weeks later...

Atleast he is probably better than our backups at G/C (Skura, Nembot etc) - however I do fear that he well be inserted at C - thus derailing the Jensen experiment a bit. 

Moving Jensen to G would give us two powerfull guards, but does that even matter if the Center is horrible?

27 minutes ago, Rein said:

Atleast he is probably better than our backups at G/C (Skura, Nembot etc) - however I do fear that he well be inserted at C - thus derailing the Jensen experiment a bit. 

Moving Jensen to G would give us two powerfull guards, but does that even matter if the Center is horrible?

Im not gonna lie, Id hate to have Zuttah back. Rather roll the dice with what we have and hope it works out. We already know what Zuttah can do, and it aint good

Zuttah being back in any capacity is awful news. Because he's awful. There is no significant difference between his brand of awful and the possible unknown brand of awful that guys like Skura, Nembot, etc. could bring. Would much, much rather roll the dice on unproven youth than proven awful veteran. 

I listen to the Ringer podcast, where Mike Lombardi has a term - something like talent stopper. Zuttah is exactly that, a talent stopper. He might offer a little more in term of immediate ability and a veteran presence, but he also blocks a position, where younger guys could develop into something better.

If the stories are true about Zuttah not wanting to play guard with the 49'ers, it wouldn't surprise me if he is hired back as a starter at center, as it would be overkill to bring in a backup who only wants to play one spot on the oline.

Thus buggles me. Zuttah is not a Lardarius Webb signing, where he tested elsewhere and decided to come back. We send him on his way because he was a liability. Now we bring him back and expect him to be better and not pushed around? What about the philosophy about getting bigger and more physical upfront. Do we just shelf that idea and bring it back again next year?

If anyone can't tell, I am not happy.

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

So does this mean Mangold is done or want too much money? He surely has to be an upgrade over Zuttah, Christ almighty.

Maybe a combination of him not being entirely ready and we are more comfortable with going with Zuttah. We know what he brings and while it might not be much, we avoid the uncertainty which Mangold could represent.

Thats it, thats what I got. Even with age and injury, I believe Mangold would be the better player.

49 minutes ago, Danand said:

Do you have any insight on this, or is it just your opinion?

Common sense. I'm tired of talking about Nick Mangold like he's the chosen one who is going to save our season. He's an old veteran who simply isn't very good anymore.

Yeah I echo most of what's being said here. If we're bringing him in to play C for us, that's not good at all. However, I think that certainly allows Jensen to switch to guard, where he may be more comfortable? If bringing back Zuttah means a lateral move at Center and an upgrade at G, I'm okay with it.

Whoever brought up the term talent-blocker, that's absolutely what Zuttah is right now.

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Common sense. I'm tired of talking about Nick Mangold like he's the chosen one who is going to save our season. He's an old veteran who simply isn't very good anymore.

I don't agree with that. From my point of view, basically all of us who brought up Mangold believe he is a transition guy at center who will provide leadership and a veteran presence. He can align the oline and read the blitzes, and while he may not be the same player as he was a couple of years ago, his ability is talked down way too much in my opinion. He wasn't bad in the season where he got injured. Now the question is how much that injury still affects him. If it does, he might not be an option at all, but thats a maybe, and until we know something more significant, I think we have a reason to talk about adding him, whether you are tired of the topic or not.

Archived