Training Camp Battle 2017 - Ravens Offensive Line Edition

drd23

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/898111165850673152  *insert eyeball emoji's here*

"Tye" in the replies may be the dumbest MF'er I've ever seen...

Even if you buy into PFF's grading, week-to-week performances can be quite variable (particularly in saying how #1 and #4 in the division differ in performance) and you shouldn't read too much into a small sample size, especially if you're trying to put weight into specific ranking.

I'm really not all that terrified about the starting 5. Obviously I don't love all the question marks but I don't think this sinks to the level of Shipley/Gradkowski. And while Hurst has been God awful at LT, he was a 5 star prospect so there's probably gotta be some talent there. It's not too far outside the realm of possibility that he could succeed at any other position, which is the case for a lot of players. And we do have an All-Pro at RG and more than likely a future All-Pro at LT.

As I've mentioned in another thread though, I am very concerned about the depth.

16 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I'm really not all that terrified about the starting 5. Obviously I don't love all the question marks but I don't think this sinks to the level of Shipley/Gradkowski. And while Hurst has been God awful at LT, he was a 5 star prospect so there's probably gotta be some talent there. It's not too far outside the realm of possibility that he could succeed at any other position, which is the case for a lot of players. And we do have an All-Pro at RG and more than likely a future All-Pro at LT.

As I've mentioned in another thread though, I am very concerned about the depth.

Agreed, I feel Hurst will be serviceable at LG. If you consider we have an all pro LT and a future HOF RG, as long the LG,C, and RT can hold there own, we should be ok. Very few teams have O lines with no weaknesses 

16 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Hurst was awful at right tackle too. And some of the reasons why he's been awful at both spots make it pretty clear he's going to be awful at guard too. Being a former 5-star recruit means nothing. Dude is 25 and has played in the league three years with a year of redshirting/recovering while learning the NFL before that. James isn't a piece of charcoal that could turn into a diamond given the right circumstances. He's just bad.

This isn't something I thought was actually debatable. 

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Hurst was awful at right tackle too. And some of the reasons why he's been awful at both spots make it pretty clear he's going to be awful at guard too. Being a former 5-star recruit means nothing. Dude is 25 and has played in the league three years with a year of redshirting/recovering while learning the NFL before that. James isn't a piece of charcoal that could turn into a diamond given the right circumstances. He's just bad.

This isn't something I thought was actually debatable. 

As I wrote in another thread, Hursts best value is as a backup where his versatility helps considering depth and inactives on gameday.

Worm tongues would then whisper, that being bad at all positions doesn't help either. He reached his ceiling and is what he is. I don't even see a Pashos scenario for him.

So. I think we can all agree that the offensive line was awful last year, right? There were many variations due to injuries, but the base of it was Stanley / Lewis / Zuttah / Yanda / Wagner. As of now the offensive line is Stanley / Jensen / Zuttah / Yanda / Howard. There has been a clear downgrade at right tackle and left guard is going to be worse too... although I'm pretty high on Jensen. There's speculation that it could be Stanley / Howard / Zuttah / Yanda / Hurst but that's not better.

Still, the line is actually going to be worse than the awful unit(s) the team threw out there last season. And that's even with Stanley and Yanda playing at a high level like they did last season when healthy. Because the offensive line really is a unit, a couple of individual standouts doesn't do much when they're surrounding by mountains of trash. 

sad12.gif

6 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Hey now, I've always been a proponent of the offensive line. Just gotta be worth the investment made the same as any other position.

Still very happy about paying Williams instead of Wagner though. ;)

I loved Lamp :(

Archived