2023 Free Agency Tread

mwalker

The Run Defense was much improved this past season and maybe even the best since the days of Hampton.  Ogun had something to do with that.  So you'd hate to break up a good thing.  BUT if it truly is one or the other, you go CB over DL.  Because, 1) we have more depth at DL and 2) I think a run stuffing DT (that's what he is) is easier to find than a CB.  I don't think Sutton is worth $15mill per.  $13mill per is even hard to swallow.  But the price is the price as they say.  There are some Ogun-type players out there in FA (i.e Poona Ford, Sheldon Rankins, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed...etc).  Though I'm not sure how much cheaper they'd be than Ogun.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

The Run Defense was much improved this past season and maybe even the best since the days of Hampton.  Ogun had something to do with that.  So you'd hate to break up a good thing.  BUT if it truly is one or the other, you go CB over DL.  Because, 1) we have more depth at DL and 2) I think a run stuffing DT (that's what he is) is easier to find than a CB.  I don't think Sutton is worth $15mill per.  $13mill per is even hard to swallow.  But the price is the price as they say.  There are some Ogun-type players out there in FA (i.e Poona Ford, Sheldon Rankins, A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed...etc).  Though I'm not sure how much cheaper they'd be than Ogun.  

It's an interesting one. Heyward is just over the horizon of his prime (still love him). If we don't resign Larry O,
I'd argue DL is as much or more of a need than CB. Leal shows promise, but we'll see. Adams as our anchor?
That worries me. We actually have more 'bodies' at CB.

Truth is they're both a need, so free agency will tell us a lot.

7 minutes ago, mwalker said:

It's an interesting one. Heyward is just over the horizon of his prime (still love him). If we don't resign Larry O,
I'd argue DL is as much or more of a need than CB. Leal shows promise, but we'll see. Adams as our anchor?
That worries me. We actually have more 'bodies' at CB.

Truth is they're both a need, so free agency will tell us a lot.

Neither is a position of strength. But I think Leal is starter material. Loudermilk and Adams can be rotational pieces and of course we still have Cam.  As for CB, there may be more bodies but I don't think there is one other starter on the roster.  And again imo, quality CBs are harder to find than quality DL.  Especially when you're really only asking that DL to stop the Run.  And you're absolutely right.  FA will help clear up a lot.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

The Run Defense was much improved this past season and maybe even the best since the days of Hampton.  Ogun had something to do with that.  So you'd hate to break up a good thing

I have a fear the run defense improvements last year was smoke and mirrors. We were much improved over 2021 when we were the worst, but I am not sure I am buying running it back with this group. 

Watching the second Ravens game after they pummelled us on the ground in the first we committed 6-7 guys to the line of scrimmage often and just attacked because no one was afraid of Huntley. Even then they ran for over 120. That's not a strategy we can go to when we are not playing the Darnolds, Huntleys, and Mariottas of the world. The Browns had Watson and Brissett at QB and we gave up over 300 yards on the ground to them across both games. 

I could totally be wrong and they will be fine, but I think DL needs some serious talent infusion. Not just bodies that check boxes, but actual dudes. Our depth chart right now is Cam, a tweener in Leal, and Loudermilk and Adams who were disappointing. I have always leaned DL vs CB, but this year especially. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I could totally be wrong and they will be fine, but I think DL needs some serious talent infusion. Not just bodies that check boxes, but actual dudes.

It needs both. If we got a NT that can take on 2 gap responsibility and allow a guy like Larry O to single gap in run responsibilities. But we also need to improve some depth there over those guys you listed. Personally I think they will start to use Leal on the edge on run downs and push him into the 5/7T area when we’re in pass downs. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Depth doesn't equate to talent. I prefer Ogunjobi. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Depth doesn't equate to talent. I prefer Ogunjobi. 

Yea, and it could be a both situation where you go for Ogunjobi in FA and then get surprised in the draft getting a talented guy who can be depth and replacement for Cam/Larry in the long run.

• Like 1