Your Top 3 "What If's" going your team's way in franchise history...

TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In the 1989 Supplemental Draft, I heard that they were looking at both Timm Rosenbach and Steve Walsh. Walsh was Jimmy's QB at Miami. He won a lot of games, but didn't have a big arm. Rosenbach was more gifted, and I wonder if they would have drafted him instead of Walsh if they couldn't take Aikman (they also probably take Tony Mandarich with their first-round pick). 

Jimmy did pick Walsh in the SD. Jimmy and Jerry used Mandarich as leverage to force Troy to sign his rookie contract.

I speculate the Cowboys would still win 2 SBs no matter who was at QB because Jimmy's Hurricane defense was absolutely crushing.

• 2 weeks later...

For Dallas fans, I am surprised that nobody talked about Jimmy Johnson staying after 1993. 

On his site, Ryan Bush did several videos about the 1994 Cowboys. Here is the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3343QK_eoU&t=49s

He had several more that dealt with the 1994 off-season, and if Jimmy had stayed as coach. In another video, it talks about how Jimmy was thinking of letting Charles Haley go: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbeyy6oOBTU

Also, on Ryan's Patreon account, he talked about how Jimmy Smith (the Jags all time great was drafted by Dallas in 1992) would have stayed if Johnson came back, but after he decided to resign, Smith wasn't a priority (he went to the Eagles, and Rich Failtite cut him for Jeff Sydner. He ends up in Jacksonville along with Mark Brunell [another player the Eagles almost had], and the rest is history). 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Here's one for Patriot and Packer fans: 9-20-1992:

On that day:

1. The Pats lost to the Seahawks, and got Bledsoe and the Tuna the next year. That put them on the path to the Belichick-Brady era.

2. The Packers replaced Majkowski with Favre, which helped to transform them into a winning franchise.

Before that day, these were two of the worst franchises in the league. However, both teams would be in the SB four years later, and they have been the two winningest franchises since 1993:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-wins-by-a-nfl-team-since-1993

• 1 month later...

1. Refs not allowing Cam to be headhunted in SB 50. Also not overturning the Cotchery call would have changed the game.

2. Deshaun Foster not breaking his ankle against Chicago in the 05/06 playoffs. Not sure he would have been enough to make the difference against Seattle but he was a more talented player than Nick Goings.

3. Devin Funchess not being a trash WR and catching the game winning TD pass Cam threw to him against the Saints in the 2017 playoffs. That was arguably the best game of Cams career.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:51 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The Montana "what if" also goes for Bear and Packer fans. 

On the morning of the 1979 draft, Bill Tobin (from "Who the heck is Mel Kiper?" fame) was a scout for the Bears, and he told his wife that they were going to draft Montana in Round 3. However, when they got to Round 3, GM Jim Finks changed his mind. He said that they had three QB's (Vince Evans was looked at as the future, but I don't know why he was sticking up for gingerbreads like Avellini and Phipps), and they didn't need Montana. He decided to draft a backup for Walter (RB Willie McClendon out of Georgia, who didn't last). 

As for the Packers, they had a scout named Red Cochrane who had a man crush on Montana. He scouted him at ND all four years, and he said that all he did was win. However, Bart Starr (who was a terrible HC) ignored him, and drafted two guys out of Maryland (Steve Atkins and Charles Johnson) that did nothing. I think that Cochrane threw a fit when he found out that they had passed on Joe (GB ignored their scouts a lot back then).  

Also, here's one for the Chiefs:

In 1987, the Chiefs and Jets finished last in the AFC West and East. So, the schedule formula required that they played each other twice in 1988.

In both of those games, the Jets had double-digit leads going into the fourth quarter, and the Chiefs came back. They won one game, and the other finished in a tie. 

That was costly, though. KC cost themselves the #1 pick, and a chance at Troy Aikman. 

Imagine those 90's teams with Aikman at QB instead of Krieg, Bono, and Grbac (and an aging Montana). 

This "what if" also affects the Steelers. 

If the Jets win those games, they make the playoffs in 88, and probably beat Cleveland in the WC game before losing at Cincinnati. 

With another playoff appearance, I don't see Joe Walton being fired in 1989 despite a poor season. He gets another chance there, and maybe Steeler OC Tom Moore doesn't get fired since Joe isn't available. 

With the continuity, I see the Steelers doing better the next few years, and maybe Noll stays on a little longer. Maybe Cowher ends up somewhere else. 

The big issue with Starr is he was also the GM.  He was woefully inept at that job.  In 1981 he in explicably took Rich Campbell #6 over all instead of Ronnie Lott over the objections of those around him!!

• Like 1

The biggest one, I think all-time, for the Giants is "what if Plax didn't shoot himself?". That 2008 team was better than the 2007 team that won the Super Bowl. In that regular season, we beat the Steelers by 7, Cardinals by 8, Ravens by 20, and Eagles by 5 before the shooting incident (all 4 teams that would play in the NFC/AFC Championship games). After, we went 2-4, including the divisional round loss, and failed to score more than 20 points in 4 of those 6 games.

We might have repeated, and Eli would be a 3 time SB champion while Big Ben would only have the 1.

12 hours ago, Pugger said:

Maybe not but Rice still fumbled.

I mean Green Bay had 59 minutes before that with a boatload more snaps to secure the win. They didn't have to turn the ball over 4 times either. Packers let it come down to a late-game lucky break.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe