Your Top 3 "What If's" going your team's way in franchise history...

TecmoSuperJoe

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean Green Bay had 59 minutes before that with a boatload more snaps to secure the win. They didn't have to turn the ball over 4 times either. Packers let it come down to a late-game lucky break.

True, but he still fumbled.  If the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

True, but he still fumbled.  If the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.

Not really. I've seen my fair share of losses where the 49ers get screwed by a late call. Over time, I've learned to take the more pragmatic approach that there are a boatload of snaps in a game, and that letting the contest come down to a BS call either beneficial or detrimental doesn't excuse letting the game get to that point in the first place due to previous self-inflicted errors. Don Beebe got away with a lucky call on MNF in '96 screwing the 49ers, but at the same time they still had other chances to mitigate their unfortunate circumstance. Does it tick me off when stuff like that happens? Sure, but like I said over time I've learned not to get caught up as much in one fatal snap towards the end of a game. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 8:54 AM, Steelersfan43 said:

The biggest one for the steelers is what if Ryan Shazier didn't have a career ending injury in 2017?

Him getting injured was inevitable. IIRC he had terrible form and always led head in. 

My main one is what if that guy the Ravens drafted a few years back never got hurt. Destroyed his Skull was a highly touted prospect from Texas. 

what if we drafted Khalil Mack instead of the massive bust Greg Robinson. 

What if Detroit surrounded Matthew Stafford with talent. How many Sbs could they have won? 

On 5/11/2023 at 10:43 AM, Pugger said:

The big issue with Starr is he was also the GM.  He was woefully inept at that job.  In 1981 he in explicably took Rich Campbell #6 over all instead of Ronnie Lott over the objections of those around him!!

Lloyd Eaton (their West Coast Scout) told Bob Harlan that it was a mistake, and that Campbell couldn't play. Bob asked him why he didn't tell Starr that, and he said that they don't listen to him (which was true).

I think that trend continued with Forrest Gregg. GB's southern scout told him that DE Alphonso Carreker couldn't play, and that they should draft Boomer Esiason to succeed Dickey. 

5 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Lloyd Eaton (their West Coast Scout) told Bob Harlan that it was a mistake, and that Campbell couldn't play. Bob asked him why he didn't tell Starr that, and he said that they don't listen to him (which was true).

I think that trend continued with Forrest Gregg. GB's southern scout told him that DE Alphonso Carreker couldn't play, and that they should draft Boomer Esiason to succeed Dickey. 

Egad.  I never heard that story about Gregg.  Unfortunately I'm not surprised.   I hope things aren't going south for GB because Mark Murphy is involved in football operations...

• Like 1

What if Az Hakim didn't muff that punt against the Saints in the divisional round? The Rams offense likely scores and we win that game, then go on to beat the Vikings and/or Giants (can't remember who exactly we'd have played but handled both in the regular season that year) and win the NFC. Then we have the greatest offense in league history at that point going up against the greatest defense in league history to that point in the Super Bowl.

What if the Patriots got called for holding the Rams WRs/Faulk in the Super Bowl? Most Rams fans would probably put another what if here for this game, but I don't really subscribe to that. But having our WRs mugged the entire game is another story. They would do it again to Manning in subsequent years, the Colts would complain to the league which led to the "emphasis" on calling a penalty that should have always been called.

Two what ifs that could have led to a threepeat

What if the Lions didn't get ****ed by the refs? Pick the Calvin Rule or something else, your pick. 

Another one would be what if the league had the redone rookie salaries when the Lions were picking guys like Stafford and Suh? They could've kept that group together and added more pieces that could've been dangerous. 

On 5/13/2023 at 1:32 AM, El Ramster said:

My main one is what if that guy the Ravens drafted a few years back never got hurt. Destroyed his Skull was a highly touted prospect from Texas. 

Are you talking about edge rusher Sergio Kindle, Baltimore's second-round pick from 2010 (the one that fell down a flight of stairs, got hurt, and never played)? 

• Like 1

1) What if Brady Quinn was actually a franchise QB

• What if Deshone Kizer was a franchise QB
  • What if Baker Mayfield was a franchise QB
  • What if Johnny Manziel was a franchise QB
  • What if Colt McCoy was a franchise QB
  • What it Brandon Weeden was a franchise QB
  • What if Cody Kessler was a franchise QB

2) What if Mike Lombardi drafted the Honey Badger (69th) instead of Leon McFadden (68th)

3) What if 2007 wasnt a fluke and Derek Anderson was actually a franchise QB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh this thread rules. Going to have some fun with this, starting with my 3 for both my teams, Oilers and Texans. 

Oilers: 

1). What if they didn't fire Bum Phillips after the 1980 playoff loss to Oakland

True turning point of a franchise and how they went from being one of the most beloved by their city to completely alienating an entire fanbase. Think about the butterfly effects of this firing though. On Bums coaching staff for that Oilers run was offensive line coach Joe Bugel, who had a pretty excellent offensive line and would go on to build The Hogs in Washington starting in 1981 after losing the Houston job. Buges was also partly responsible for them bringing Riggins out of retirement and the rest is history. So I do think Houston is one of the best teams in the AFC with Bum in 1981 possibly even making a run to the Super Bowl(where they obviously would have lost to SF, but at least they finally kicked that door in and won an AFCCG).  But if they don't fire Buges along with Bud maybe the Hogs becomes a Houston thing, possibly Riggins too, him and Earl in the same backfield maybe, scary. 

2). The blown catch call against San Diego in the 1993 regular season

We all talk about the blown call in the 1979 AFCCG a lot. A lot of smart football people I know still think Pittsburgh finds a way to win that game if they got that call right. The blown call that really gets me is the one that came in one of the first games of the 1993 season. Houston had San Diego beat with Moon connecting with a touchdown in the back of the end zone. The catch was obviously a good touchdown on the replay but the officials got it wrong and ruled it incomplete. Houston lost the game like 16-17 iirc. Always bugged me because they should have won that game, would have given them a 13-3 record that year and #1 seed instead of #2 in the playoffs, so instead of playing Montana/Marcus Allen Chiefs they end up hosting the Jeff Hostetler Raiders(and that defense would have eaten them alive). Houston hosting whatever was left coming out of Buffalo on the other side of the AFC bracket in that AFCCG changes everything, and Dallas in that Super Bowl was beatable if they were playing a team that wanted it(Buffalo was toast after that first half). We point to the Buffalo 92 comeback and the Chiefs playoff game that year as turning points where the team could have been saved, to me it was that blown call earlier that year that could have kept the team in Houston. 

3). Mario Williams injury in 2011

Texans fans talk a lot about Matt Schaub going down that year and what could have been. I still think that team gets beat in Baltimore with Schaub. To me the real injury that keeps me awake at night from that season was Mario Williams going down for the year after the 4th or 5th game. He moved to playing edge in Wade Phillips defense and was leading the NFL in sacks at the time of the injury, he was on his way to having a monster season. Look at how great that defense was without him the rest of the year, I think with him they make a run through those playoffs and at least hit the AFCCG even with a backup QB TJ Yates. 

12 hours ago, ShinobiMusashi said:

Oh this thread rules. Going to have some fun with this, starting with my 3 for both my teams, Oilers and Texans. 

Oilers: 

1). What if they didn't fire Bum Phillips after the 1980 playoff loss to Oakland

True turning point of a franchise and how they went from being one of the most beloved by their city to completely alienating an entire fanbase. Think about the butterfly effects of this firing though. On Bums coaching staff for that Oilers run was offensive line coach Joe Bugel, who had a pretty excellent offensive line and would go on to build The Hogs in Washington starting in 1981 after losing the Houston job. Buges was also partly responsible for them bringing Riggins out of retirement and the rest is history. So I do think Houston is one of the best teams in the AFC with Bum in 1981 possibly even making a run to the Super Bowl(where they obviously would have lost to SF, but at least they finally kicked that door in and won an AFCCG).  But if they don't fire Buges along with Bud maybe the Hogs becomes a Houston thing, possibly Riggins too, him and Earl in the same backfield maybe, scary. 

2). The blown catch call against San Diego in the 1993 regular season

We all talk about the blown call in the 1979 AFCCG a lot. A lot of smart football people I know still think Pittsburgh finds a way to win that game if they got that call right. The blown call that really gets me is the one that came in one of the first games of the 1993 season. Houston had San Diego beat with Moon connecting with a touchdown in the back of the end zone. The catch was obviously a good touchdown on the replay but the officials got it wrong and ruled it incomplete. Houston lost the game like 16-17 iirc. Always bugged me because they should have won that game, would have given them a 13-3 record that year and #1 seed instead of #2 in the playoffs, so instead of playing Montana/Marcus Allen Chiefs they end up hosting the Jeff Hostetler Raiders(and that defense would have eaten them alive). Houston hosting whatever was left coming out of Buffalo on the other side of the AFC bracket in that AFCCG changes everything, and Dallas in that Super Bowl was beatable if they were playing a team that wanted it(Buffalo was toast after that first half). We point to the Buffalo 92 comeback and the Chiefs playoff game that year as turning points where the team could have been saved, to me it was that blown call earlier that year that could have kept the team in Houston. 

3). Mario Williams injury in 2011

Texans fans talk a lot about Matt Schaub going down that year and what could have been. I still think that team gets beat in Baltimore with Schaub. To me the real injury that keeps me awake at night from that season was Mario Williams going down for the year after the 4th or 5th game. He moved to playing edge in Wade Phillips defense and was leading the NFL in sacks at the time of the injury, he was on his way to having a monster season. Look at how great that defense was without him the rest of the year, I think with him they make a run through those playoffs and at least hit the AFCCG even with a backup QB TJ Yates. 

What if Mike Renfro's catch was actually ruled a TD against the Steelers in the 79 AFCC?

Edit: I didn't see that you mentioned this play in your 2nd paragraph.

What if Mike Shanahan isn't fired after the 2008 season? Jay Cutler stays with a pretty good offensive roster instead being traded to the Bears, a team that had next to nothing on offense outside of Forte. Is his career better?

What if KC beat the Broncos to trading up to draft Paxton Lynch in the 2016 draft? Do the Broncos take Dak Prescott, a player Elway apparently liked before that draft? Who drafts Mahomes the following year?

Edited by BroncoSojia

20 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

What if Mike Renfro's catch was actually ruled a TD against the Steelers in the 79 AFCC?

Edit: I didn't see that you mentioned this play in your 2nd paragraph.

What if Mike Shanahan isn't fired after the 2008 season? Jay Cutler stays with a pretty good offensive roster instead being traded to the Bears, a team that had next to nothing on offense outside of Forte. Is his career better?

What if KC beat the Broncos to trading up to draft Paxton Lynch in the 2016 draft? Do the Broncos take Dak Prescott, a player Elway apparently liked before that draft? Who drafts Mahomes the following year?

Maybe the Saints and it would change several things in the NFL like for the Saints,Chiefs,Drew Brees,likely Payton is still with the Saints,etc