Radio Discussion - Lamar Jackson Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag

Raves

This is obviously not an actual thing yet and might not even happen, but on the radio there was a mention that the Ravens might place the Non-Exclusive Franchise tag on Lamar Jackson so that they would have a lower cap hit on him and if a team did decide to offer him a contract, they can choose to match the contract or get 2 first round picks from letting him walk.

If the Ravens did give Lamar Jackson the Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag, would you want the Saints to make a play for him, and if so what type of contract would you feel comfortable with the Saints giving him.

Personally, although I really like Jackson, I'm of the mindset that you don't give a QB whose greatest attribute is their running ability a big contract with a lot of guaranteed money, especially when they have an injury history and isn't known as the best passer.  At the same time I also realize that he would be a massive upgrade to the team and could make them an immediate contender for the Super Bowl so it's tough to argue against it as well.

I've posted several times, and on another QB thread in here that while I think Lamar is wildly talented, if one of his legs gets compromised in any way, he becomes an average QB. AND his guaranteed money will be gigantic. I've heard people floating out something like $100mil guaranteed.

Now, 2 firsts for an immediate starter who's proven and can make an immediate impact... I can deal with that, of course. But that money. That could be crippling for years to come. 

• Like 2