Trubisky Development

dll2000

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I watched the Rams vs. the Saints very closely last night and I just think that Ram's offence would be perfect for Trubisky...the vast majority loved the idea of getting Shanahan last offseason and if we could bring in LaFleur we would get that offence just from a lesser known name.

Lafelur is an intriguing candidate. Please elaborate though because I haven't watched much of the Rams this season. What makes their offense a good fit for Trubisky?

What about that Saints offense? The way they are using Kamara should be how we should be using Cohen.

The fact that Bears were very interested in Kamara during the pre draft process last off season reinforces my faith in Pace.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I watched the Rams vs. the Saints very closely last night and I just think that Ram's offence would be perfect for Trubisky...the vast majority loved the idea of getting Shanahan last offseason and if we could bring in LaFleur we would get that offence just from a lesser known name.

I love Lafleur's offense and the coaching tree he has learned under. My only major concern is how heavily involved Gurley is in the pass game. Howard's hands suck and he needs to be in the AP offensive role. 1- Run, 2- run, 3- run, 4) Run a route and maybe catch a pass.

McVay and Lafleur were flat out outcoached vs the Vikings, Zimmer ate their lunch. It sucks because they could have made a few easy adjustments but no one thought to use the trap plays more (as that was the only real run play that consistently worked when they dropped their weak-side DE to cover the flat route). But I think they would have learned from that and shouldn't make that mistake often.

The major positive is how easy Lafleur makes it on Goff. He does a lot of short passes accurately to let them create YAC, occasionally lets it rip when they get lulled to being too aggressive, etc. He features RPOs and levels to read one side of the field on occasion and the power running game makes his play action that much more effective. It is what Trestman's offense was the first year passing-wise, but with a serious dedication to running the ball.

Reich puts a LOT more on Wentz's plate as a QB though. He has to make pure progression reads, reading single high two high (as that affects his option routes), and reading levels ( as they frequent putting a receiver deep, mid, and short range to one side). It ialso is heavily reliant on the QB and WRs being on the same page for these option routes and timing, as they run pretty elaborate routes compared to what Loggains does (corner-posts, deep corners after forcing the DB to shade in which means they have to get leverage, stutter-posts, throwing covered WRs/TEs open, etc). There are a lot of times that Ertz or Jeffrey MUST cross the face of the defender or it is an easy INT, so it puts a lot of responsibility on each pass for every player. His offense is as complicated and elaborate as McDaniel's.

I'd be ecstatic to have either of them. They have completely edged out Nagy and McDaniels to me the more I watch their games.

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Lafelur is an intriguing candidate. Please elaborate though because I haven't watched much of the Rams this season. What makes their offense a good fit for Trubisky?

What about that Saints offense? The way they are using Kamara should be how we should be using Cohen.

The fact that Bears were very interested in Kamara during the pre draft process last off season reinforces my faith in Pace.

Dominating run game, featuring a ton of variety. Power, guards/tackles/center have all pulled for traps, stretches, etc.  I intend to toot my own horn with Whitworth, as I wanted him here and he is playing like a top 3 LT, just fantastic.

After that they run RPOs and play actions to pull the LBs up. If thee hold bakc Gurley gets an easy 4 at least, if they come down hard Goff has the touch to throw over the LBs for an easy completion. They will have a TE as a flanker a lot and he will rip behind the OL and be a flat route, while there is a slant and corner combo from the WRs to give Goff easier reads. But play action is also where Goff will take his shots, especially after Gurley gets a big run. They get the ball out of his hands fast, relying on WRs getting leverage and not focusing on a single receiver. He wants threats all around. It is a much more quick-hitting passing attack too, so the OL does not have to hold as long as PHI's does (likely another factor MM likes as we seem to have health issues there).

So McVay/Lafleur want to run, play action, make quick reads, and attack short to intermediate routes either over the LBs/in front of the safeties or hit the WRs between zones. Then after the safeties have to come up Goff takes advantage of the "if you're even you're leavin'" rule. The Air  Yards look bad, but that is just because Goff gets the ball in stride to the athletes.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

The thing I love with the Rams is how simply it all is...it's West Coast offence with a speedy deep threat thrown in...they do a lot of basic route combinations with slants, digs, outs, curls & comebacks all staples...they use their bigger bodies receivers like Kupp (Reynolds hasn't had much work throughout the season but same skill set), Higby from TE and Gurley from RB to keep the ball moving on these routes for 5-6-7 yards a pop so they don't get behind the chains...a lot of the time it's purely timing routes for Goff where his backfoot hits on a 3 step drop and the ball is out...then when the D starts to come up they throw in Woods and even more so Watkins over the top to stress the D over the top...being able to attack the D on multiple levels with multiple means regardless of the match up they are able to move the ball week in week out...then you add in the classic Gibbs/Shanahan running game and you have a powerhouse offence...and a offence that was able to turn around a guy who looked like a massive bust in off into a potential pro bowl QB...

For us I think a guy like Meredith if healthy could be extremely productive...I also love Inman's fit in that style of offence...Shaheen would play in line but have the athletic upside to flex at times and would be a match up nightmare...that takes care of your big bodies chain movers...what we would need is that intermediate to deep speed that opens everything up...you add a guy like Dante Pettis in the 2nd round or a Paul Richardson in FA...maybe even both and you have the guys who can stretch the field and open up the underneath with makes everything easier for Trubisky...you also then give the running game a little more room and if that gets going then you use Trubisky's athletic ability to set up the play action with bootlegs and when that happens it's game over because you can't defend that many different ways of attacking a defence...especially if we could also add a true flex TE as well either this offseason or next...the scheme also clearly helps your OL out...19 sacks in 365 passing attempts this season...

Again it's another basic football concept...The less you need to think the fast you play...keep things simple and let Trubisky let his arm talent and athletic ability take over.

25 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Good points Shane. Speaking of Nagy... the Chiefs have been really stinking it up lately on offense. What the heck happened?

I haven't watched a ton of them lately (as the reliance on speed seems like less of a schematic plot and more of a gimmick), but DAL might have given the trick to hurt their offense.

Load the box with at least 6 even in spread, you have to stop Hunt first. This is especially important because Kelce has turned into a hell of a blocker so 7-8 might need to be within 5 yards of the LOS.

Bring pressure, the Chiefs want to take shots and have a ton of speed, but a mediocre OL can't hold up for long. So attack the QB before they can get deep. Having the bodies up in the box helps this too. This makes Smith use his security blanket in Kelce, usually in the middle. So stay under him.

They still did a lot of Cover 2 and 3, but made it look like jailbreak blitzes or other blitzed. They are still a west coast offense, so if you let them know what you're in Smith has been doing this long enough to pick them apart. They even set looks to make it seem like a cover 6 and then blitzed the CB (Scandrick maybe?) Or put a safety directly over the WR and then a CB with inside leverage, making it look like a blitzing CB, but then both bail into a Cover 1 or 2. They did a lot of games and fake looks. Marinelli or whover really did a great job with them.

KC runs the ball to the outside on sweeps as well as anyone I have seen since LT was in. So CBs have to play like men and attack the run. NE didn't do that and Hunt looked like Sanders on the outside, and it was often the CB's fault. Dallas's CBs set and edge and the LBs cleaned up on Hunt, Hills, etc.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

And one who has worked with a lot of success. 

- Grossman and McNabb threw for a combined 4,200+ yards.

- Helped RGIII in his RoY/ Pro Bowl year, helped develop Cousins

- Made Everett Golson look like a decent player, a potential NFL draftee at minimum.  (29 TDs with Lafleuer, only 11 the next year with all of Florida State's talent around him. :D)

- Matt Ryan had the best season of his career with 4,944 yards, 38 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He won MVP and the Falcons reached the Super Bowl.

- Now with Goff - In seven started he completed barely 54% of his passes for 1,089 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions. With Lafleur’s arrival as offensive coordinator he’s currently at 61% completion, 2964 yards passing, 18 touchdowns and five interceptions in 11 games.

He has ties to Kubiak, Mike Shanahan, Dan Quinn, Kyle Shannahan, and Sean McVay. I see 3 Super Bowl rings, one Super Bowl loss in last year, and two HC that have lead dominant offenses recently. He might not have the name since he isn't Mike's son, but he sure as hell has the pedigree. He is also only 39 but has been coaching since 2003. He literally became a man and learned his formative years as a young adult while coaching. And did so under some damn good coaches. 

Archived