Official 2023 Combine Thread

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

On the one hand, it's smart. He has almost nothing to gain here. On the other hand, it's another "tick" for me in the hesitation realm of what I've seen for his motivation. He looked downright out of shape and bad against Ohio State and was completely not just held in check, but dominated up front. He could barely get into a stance and CJ Stroud, who is in my opinion is a marginal athlete, ran away from him a few times that game.

I know it's just "one game" in a very impressive body of work for him, but I can't help but question his motivation. I'd still not hesitate to draft him/draft him Top 5, but I'm not as sold on him as some who have labeled him the best player in the draft or almost a "sure thing" lock.

To me, Will Anderson is clearly a notch or two ahead of Carter as the best defensive prospect in this draft. I think some are way overthinking it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the combine is actually an extremely useful way to scout OLs.

Less so since they took away the mirror drill, but still.  OL day is always my favorite of the whole combine.

I find it very useful to find EDGE/OLB players that you might not know.  KEI is still a decent measurement for explosiveness.  I think 3 cone drill is one of the better drill as well for a lot of positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I find it very useful to find EDGE/OLB players that you might not know.  KEI is still a decent measurement for explosiveness.  I think 3 cone drill is one of the better drill as well for a lot of positions.

Only 4 edge listed players did the 3 cone at last years combine. One being the rookie sack leader Hutch who had an impressive time. Then the next rookie with the most sacks James Houston had an awful 3 cone time at his pro day. And he had some of the best bend/change of direction ability on film in the class. So it is always very interesting how testing numbers translate.

• Like 1