Packerraymond Mock Off-Season; The Real, Real Last Dance (last 2 years were just practice)

Packerraymond

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Mike Sherman the HC wasn't the issue.  Mike Sherman the GM was.  Outside of his 2002 draft, he was an abysmal drafter.  His 2001 draft was highlighted by Robert Ferguson and David Martin.  His 2003 draft was led by Nick Barnett, and the second best player was Hunter Hillenmeyer who never played a snap for Green Bay.  2004 was the infamous Ahmad Carroll draft.  Carroll lasted 2.5 years while Joey Thomas lasted 1.5 years.  I don't think Donnell Thomas actually ever played for Green Bay and they traded up for BJ Sander and he lasted only 1 season.

I don't really blame Sherman for his failures as GM.  Sherman being given GM duties at all was a major failure on the part of the organization. The bungling of the post Holmgren/Wolf era did quite a bit to sabotage the end of Favre's time in GB. 

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

How is it that 3-13 win seasons is not a really good team?

We failed to score from the 4 in 1 game and had a punt blocked in the last minutes of another game so that solidifies our spot in perennial mediocrity.   

We did not win = we could not win.   

People can't fathom there is a giant chasm between those two statements which is why we will always be considered mediocre in their eyes

• Like 3

in what world is Keenan Allen a cap casualty for LAC?  He's still a highly productive receiver and while he's overpaid he's a big chunk of that offense. 

He might re-do his deal to add another few years on, more GTD money something like that, but I don't see how chargers let him out for a 5th.  He's a very valuable piece of that offense and probably one they are fine to just overpay a little this season.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

How is it that 3-13 win seasons is not a really good team?

We didn't win a thing.  And those 13 win seasons were earned on the back of previous administration players and a couple free agents.  We were able to get free agents because TT managed the cap better than Gute.   Those teams also had major holes that even a blind man could see.   Was it a surprise when those holes kept us out of a SB?  Not to me.

We've been around this topic plenty of times before.  I can handle the fact that you are happy winning 13 games and not having any real shot at winning a SB.    I'd rather win 10 or 11 games and then win a SB.

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

We failed to score from the 4 in 1 game and had a punt blocked in the last minutes of another game so that solidifies our spot in perennial mediocrity.   

We did not win = we could not win.   

People can't fathom there is a giant chasm between those two statements which is why we will always be considered mediocre in their eyes

Was it a surpise that we failed miserably on special teams?   It shouldn't have been.   There were bottom of the league bad all year and gave up the game in the end. You aren't likely to win when you are league worst at 1/3 of the game.

44 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

We didn't win a thing.  And those 13 win seasons were earned on the back of previous administration players and a couple free agents.  We were able to get free agents because TT managed the cap better than Gute.   Those teams also had major holes that even a blind man could see.   Was it a surprise when those holes kept us out of a SB?  Not to me.

We've been around this topic plenty of times before.  I can handle the fact that you are happy winning 13 games and not having any real shot at winning a SB.    I'd rather win 10 or 11 games and then win a SB.

We got those free agents because TT whiffed in the draft and there was no one in house that was worth of a second contract.

So....we don't get to count players that someone else drafted in the making of a good team?

Rams must suck, they had to trade for Stafford and Ramsey.

Tampa sucks, they had to get Brady in free agency.

TT sucks because he inherited Favre.

Denver sucked because they had to get Manning in free agency.

And we know the Chiefs GM didn't draft Mahomes or Kelce or Hill.  

All terrible organizations, if we follow your logic.

Then we get to your math logic.  Our 13 win teams were set up to win it all.  Gimme Bakh and I think we win one of those two.

It's like you don't understand that having 13 wins is better than 10.  

• Like 4

It's like you dont understand that when you are historically bad in ST you aren't a viable SB contender.

It's like you don't understand that our OL has deteriorated and failed us in each of the last 2 postseason's.

It's like you dont understand that Gute's drafts made zero sense when you are on the verge of SB contention.

It's like you dont understand that we have left our WR room deteriorate until the 2022 draft.

Most of your points here are quite frankly idiotic and have nothing to do with the arguments I have made.  I hope you feel better for posting it though.  All of those moves were made to put their teams over the top.   We didn't do that.  We drafted a QB that never plays on his rookie contract and a RB who is a 2nd team player with a premium pick.  We used our FA money getting the team back to close to contention and then ran out of gas 

It's like you purposely misunderstand the points so you can white knight in defense of Gute.  Like he wasn't part of managing the  roster makeup that left big holes on SB teams while he was busy drafting marginal backup players.  Drafting a QB and then giving away the franchise to a QB instead of playing the QB he foolishly drafted 2-3 years too early.

11 hours ago, hitnhope said:

It's like you dont understand that when you are historically bad in ST you aren't a viable SB contender.

It's like you don't understand that the Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with the worst ranked specials teams unit in 2022.

Most of your posts are so well thought out that even though I may not agree with them, I do give you credit for having solid, rational thoughts.

But a couple of these, like mathematics and this one are just odd takes for you.

11 hours ago, hitnhope said:

It's like you don't understand that our OL has deteriorated and failed us in each of the last 2 postseason's.

It's like you don't understand that losing your elite left tackle hurts your offense and replacing an elite LT is not an easy thing to do.

19 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

in what world is Keenan Allen a cap casualty for LAC?  He's still a highly productive receiver and while he's overpaid he's a big chunk of that offense. 

He might re-do his deal to add another few years on, more GTD money something like that, but I don't see how chargers let him out for a 5th.  He's a very valuable piece of that offense and probably one they are fine to just overpay a little this season.

Try Googling his name. 

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It's like you don't understand that losing your elite left tackle hurts your offense and replacing an elite LT is not an easy thing to do.

That's fine for year 1.  A decent argument.   The coaching staff messed up the starters in the playoffs by switching everyone around as well.

Why was nothing done for year 2? Should little have been done to protect that area the following year?

Maybe it is due to only watching 1/3 of the Chiefs games vs. all of the Packers but I never got a feeling that KC's special teams were anywhere near as bad as the Packers 2 years ago.   The Packers had major failings almost every game.  Every kickoff return coverage was an adventure.   We failed in every area of special teams on a weekly basis.   You could see all year that it was going to cost us at playoff time, and it did.

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

That's fine for year 1.  A decent argument.   The coaching staff messed up the starters in the playoffs by switching everyone around as well.

Why was nothing done for year 2? Should little have been done to protect that area the following year?

Because we also didn't anticipate that Bakhtiari would be the one guy it seems in my lifetime that didn't recover in a year from ACL surgery.

Statistically it was a safe bet that Bakh would be fine. Losing his replacement in Jenkins in addition to Bakh not being fine are the kinds of outliers that can destroy a 5 man unit.

5 hours ago, Sandy said:

Because we also didn't anticipate that Bakhtiari would be the one guy it seems in my lifetime that didn't recover in a year from ACL surgery.

Statistically it was a safe bet that Bakh would be fine. Losing his replacement in Jenkins in addition to Bakh not being fine are the kinds of outliers that can destroy a 5 man unit.

Did we not have our medical staff involved in the recovery and rehab?  We let the backup talent degrade on offense both with the OL and WR positions.   Injuries are inevitable at OL.   This is why Gute's draft failures hurt so bad.  

Our reinforcemnets weren't adequate and picks like Myers and Newman didnt give the coverage needed.