Packerraymond Mock Off-Season; The Real, Real Last Dance (last 2 years were just practice)

Packerraymond

On 2/28/2023 at 8:56 AM, hitnhope said:

That's fine for year 1.  A decent argument.   The coaching staff messed up the starters in the playoffs by switching everyone around as well.

Why was nothing done for year 2? Should little have been done to protect that area the following year?

I agree with you concerning the shuffling of the OL in the playoffs.  100%.  No argument from me.

Year 2?  Didn't we sign a veteran swing tackle?  I honestly cannot remember.  But I do remember Bakh having set back after set back.  Maybe they came outta nowhere, because no one that I can remember took that long to recover from an injury like that.  My guess is that they were counting on Bakh to be ready and he simply was not.

16 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Did we not have our medical staff involved in the recovery and rehab?  We let the backup talent degrade on offense both with the OL and WR positions.   Injuries are inevitable at OL.   This is why Gute's draft failures hurt so bad.  

Our reinforcemnets weren't adequate and picks like Myers and Newman didnt give the coverage needed.

You bring up points I agree with, again.  We ignored the WR room for far too long.  To me, it seems like we took it for granted that Adams would always be here and that blew up in our faces.

You bring up Newman....yuck.  I still think there's a lot of good stuff in him...but he hasn't put it together.  And Myers over Humphrey still blows my mind.  I think Myers can play somewhere on the OL at a high level, but he hasn't had the light go on at center yet.  That pick should have been Humphrey despite him not being the physical specimen that Myers was and is.  Creed was just a better center.  And we needed a center.

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You bring up points I agree with, again.  We ignored the WR room for far too long.  To me, it seems like we took it for granted that Adams would always be here and that blew up in our faces.

You bring up Newman....yuck.  I still think there's a lot of good stuff in him...but he hasn't put it together.  And Myers over Humphrey still blows my mind.  I think Myers can play somewhere on the OL at a high level, but he hasn't had the light go on at center yet.  That pick should have been Humphrey despite him not being the physical specimen that Myers was and is.  Creed was just a better center.  And we needed a center.

re: OL - depth in general for the league is just tough to maintain right now. Especially at tackles. The Packers were short circuited twice by this. We also saw KC get destroyed by Tampa for the exact same reason in 2020 (having lost at least LT1 and RT1 and, I believe, LT2 to injury) and the Bengals now twice have been undone by injuries to their OL (last year and this year). You ultimately have only so many spots/picks and injuries are unpredictable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Striker said:

re: OL - depth in general for the league is just tough to maintain right now. Especially at tackles. The Packers were short circuited twice by this. We also saw KC get destroyed by Tampa for the exact same reason in 2020 (having lost at least LT1 and RT1 and, I believe, LT2 to injury) and the Bengals now twice have been undone by injuries to their OL (last year and this year). You ultimately have only so many spots/picks and injuries are unpredictable.

I agree.

But I also feel like we blew the Myers pick.  We needed a starting center.  Humphrey was better than Myers at playing center.  But Myers was bigger and I dare say, more versatile.  So we rolled the dice.  That was a mistake.  We should have taken the best pure center and be done with it.

Tackles?  The Bakh injury and recovery would have been really hard to predict.  Then there was the Jenkins injury.  It's a lot to overcome.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I agree.

But I also feel like we blew the Myers pick.  We needed a starting center.  Humphrey was better than Myers at playing center.  But Myers was bigger and I dare say, more versatile.  So we rolled the dice.  That was a mistake.  We should have taken the best pure center and be done with it.

Tackles?  The Bakh injury and recovery would have been really hard to predict.  Then there was the Jenkins injury.  It's a lot to overcome.

For sure, I get that. But I don't Myers vs. Humphrey solves the problems the Packers ran into in 2021 with no tackles left and, obviously, would not have impacted 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 9:34 AM, Packerraymond said:

Try Googling his name. 

yeah, ahem. LIS Allen was not even close to available at his cap number.  Now, next year he'll be available following that restructure.

As far as options for GB:

Gotta think that Allen Lazard is looking at close to the 18M/year Christian Kirk got - that's a pass for me.

Sterling Shepard, Parris Campbell, Marquez Callaway, Darius Slayton, Mack Hollins are good bargain bin receiver options, and Olamide Zacchaeus is a good slot option from a team that underutilized him.  Bisi Johnson is a good blocker.  Thielen/Robert woods would be pricier more established options you could do on a 1 year deal to bring Love along.

Edited by skibrett15

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah, ahem. LIS Allen was not even close to available at his cap number.  Now, next year he'll be available following that restructure.

As far as options for GB:

Gotta think that Allen Lazard is looking at close to the 18M/year Christian Kirk got - that's a pass for me.

Sterling Shepard, Parris Campbell, Marquez Callaway, Darius Slayton, Mack Hollins are good bargain bin receiver options, and Olamide Zacchaeus is a good slot option from a team that underutilized him.  Bisi Johnson is a good blocker.  Thielen/Robert woods would be pricier more established options you could do on a 1 year deal to bring Love along.

Imagine flexing on a fictional mock offseason....