Combing the Combine for Capable Contributors

vike daddy

The 2023 NFL Scouting Combine will highlight this week and include podium media sessions by Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, scheduled for 9 a.m. (CT) Tuesday, and Head Coach Kevin O'Connell, planned for 1:30 p.m. (CT) Wednesday.

https://www.vikings.com/news/prospect-draft-players-2023-combine-preview?fbclid=IwAR3RveXqoiKUSnfNFL7MdOqwzzBOFGpTcBho_Z4iwyMNDBZ3vLTvZ4uwjVM

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

It’s now a trend. How widespread it becomes remains to be seen.

Some coaching staffs have decided not to attend the Scouting Combine. For most casual observers, it’s a jarring revelation given the hype and focus devoted to the first of the league’s offseason tentpole events. If, after all, multiple coaching staffs are boycotting the festivities, maybe it’s not as big of a deal as Big Shield wants us to think it is.

Here’s the reality of the NFL’s offseason off-field reality show. Some have decided that their time is better spent working in the team facility for the week. They can spend the day doing multiple things, from making decisions about which of their own players they’ll keep to which free agents they’ll pursue to which incoming players they may want to try to add.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/26/more-coaches-question-the-value-of-attending-the-scouting-combine/

I can understand some of that reasoning, but what I've also learned is that if a player has been trained in the interview process, you can tell that as well, and you can gather more information from their body language than what they're actually saying...and I think that is important for some of the coaching staff to know.  But, that's just me.  In my years of interviewing, I find that far more valuable than what they actually say (unless of course they say something stupid).  But, I guess if a coach doesn't really care about having much input into the player-picking process, than that's more than acceptable.  

Dalton Kincaid won’t be joining other tight end prospects in doing drills doing the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Kincaid will not be doing on-field work, but will meet with teams this week. Kincaid suffered a small fracture in his back during Utah’s final regular season game. He played in the Pac-12 title game, but did not play in the Rose Bowl.

Kincaid caught 70 passes for 890 yards and eight touchdowns for the Utes in 2022. That production has him among the top prospects at his position along with Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer, Oregon State’s Luke Musgrave, and Georgia’s Darnell Washington.

Garafolo adds that Kincaid is expected to be full cleared soon, so teams should be able to get a look at him on the field well ahead of the draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/dalton-kincaid-wont-do-drills-at-combine/

Luke must be a son/nephew of Bill Musgrave, eh?

A couple of the top running back prospects in this year’s draft will have different experiences at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Texas running back Bijan Robinson is slated to do all the drills at the Combine rather than wait to work out at Texas’ Pro Day in early March. Robinson is generally regarded as the top back in this year’s class after running for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns for the Longhorns in 2022. Robinson is widely projected to be a first-round pick come April.

Pelissero also reports that DeWayne McBride will not do drills in Indy because he recently hurt his hamstring while working out. McBride scored 19 touchdowns and ran for 1,713 yards at UAB last season. He was second in the nation to Brad Roberts of Air Force in rushing yards and tied for third in rushing touchdowns. McBride is expected to work out at the school’s Pro Day on March 22.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/27/bijan-robinson-set-for-all-combine-drills-dewayne-mcbride-out-with-hamstring-injury/