Rams likely to trade CB Jalen Ramsey in coming weeks

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Embracing the tank. 

inb4 certain people come in and say “Ramsey’s a great player, but the Rams don’t really need him and will compete without him”

Different thread, but here we go…

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I’ll believe Ramsey will be traded when I see it. Dude was PFF third rated corner in what many said was a down season.

McVay didn’t come back to a “rebuild” season and neither did AD. The Rams know what they are doing. 

But let’s play hypothetical. What IF the Rams actually do trade Ramsey? First off they have traded or lost many talented players in the McVay era and still remained really good. Two Superbowls, three division titles, one at least one playoff game every playoff trip except for McVay first season as the Rams coach. The only thing that derailed the Rams was a mass of injuries in 2019 which was bad but 2022 was 10x worse. So IF the Rams trade away Ramsey which he would be the best player the Rams would’ve moved on from in the McVay era then I expect them to get good compensation then turn that into another stud. I don’t look for them to use that for a rookie draft pick. The Rams have 10 picks in this draft without comps I think so adding more picks and using them all would be odd for a team that is just trying to retool as Les puts it instead of rebuild. So yeah I trust Les and McVay bc their track record together has been great over the last 6yrs overall.

(And I don’t think any of us should be surprised who said it - in fact, it’s exactly who we thought it would be).

For the record - I do think the Rams will still be competitive in a thin NFC, but I do think moving on from Ramsey will put them behind the 49ers in their own division. This is still a playoff team that’s capable of putting together a deep run in the NFC - let’s not forget that.

I still think that slots them as the 3rd or 4th team in the NFC overall (behind Philly, San Francisco and maybe neck and neck with Dallas) but that’s more of a reflection of the porous states in the NFC North and NFC South. 

I don’t think moving Ramsey is throwing in the towel. I think this more a reallocation of assets to the offensive line. That thing was in shambles last year, we need serious help there.

Mcvay can keep us in games and make them fun to watch with a top flight offense, while Donald keeps opposing teams honest. 
It sucks to see him go, but better him than Donald, Stafford or Kupp imo.

• Like 1

Detroit makes a lot of sense. Lions have an extra first and second round pick this year and an extra 3rd next season. Also have capspace and a glaring need at CB. ARSB flat out pled for Ramsey to come to Detroit and Ramsey was positive about the possibility on Twitter. Ramsey is still only 28 yrs old and a top CB. With the Lions building a new secondary, having an elite vet presence there could be great for on field development of guys around him. 

#18 + 2023 3rd for Jalen Ramsey? 

Lions draft Devon Witherspoon at #6?

Get Tracy Walker back from injury. Continue developing Jeff Okudah and Kerby Joseph. 

All of a sudden, Detroit's secondary becomes very nice. 

New Cornerbacks coach Dre Bly has to be real happy with the talent he'd have available.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

(And I don’t think any of us should be surprised who said it - in fact, it’s exactly who we thought it would be).

The forever optimist! I wish I viewed life that way, lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Really makes no sense, have to wonder if this is just a case of teams calling asking about if he was available. Nothing would surprise me though. 

I like the “relocation of assets” angle that @Riftty mentions. Andrew Withworth’s retirement left a massive hole on the OL, in terms of both high level play at LT and leadership along the unit.

You can’t really replace the leadership, but if you can bring in talented guys to at least fill in some gaps in talent, you’re in a better position. We know the Rams were looking at Cole Strange last season but got jumped in line by New England - so securing a few of them picks that were previously effed would help them land a guy.

Granted, this is robbing Peter to pay Paul - the secondary takes a pretty big hit without a guy like Ramsey taking on #1 WRs. However, I have always believed it’s easier to hide a weakness in the secondary than a weakness along the OL. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Am I not right?

Rams have either traded or moved on from these players:

Robert Woods, Robert Quinn, Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks, Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Rodger Saffold, Michael Brockers, Sammy Watkins, Johnny Hekker, Dante Fowler, and Johnson.

Thats alot of really good players, pro bowl players, and key players to the Rams success theyve had. The only season they really suffered was this season. I know its the most recent season but it was also the worse injury season for the Rams. Even worse than the 2019 season when they were injured alot too went (9-7) and missed the playoffs. But they bounced back the following season and then the season after that won the Superbowl.

Ill continue to say that the Rams are aggressive but they also know what they are doing. You might not like how the Rams are going about their business but in the Les and McVay partnership era it has worked. Nothing is 100% obviously but Im sure every fan base (outside of the Chiefs of course bc they are right now the standard) would take the Rams success in the McVay era.

Now again I dont believe the Rams will trade Ramsey but IF they do lets see what they do bc its not like they are going to be like the Raiders when they traded Khalil Mack got a boat load of picks and then we know the draft history of the Raiders and how they just ruin it. So based on the success the Rams have had under McVay at least lets see what happens IF they do trade Ramsey which again Ill believe it when I see it.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Am I not right?

Am I saying you’re wrong?

I think you missed my intentions - any time one of the 32 teams moves on from a talented player, a subsection of those fans will justify the move as a smart move for the long term health of their team (whether or not the move is good or bad is irrelevant - it ALWAYS happens, someone will justify the decision). Most of the time, we don’t know where that subsection resides. In the case of the Rams - we all know it’s gonna be you.

Wear it with pride, buddy.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Am I saying you’re wrong?

I think you missed my intentions - any time one of the 32 teams moves on from a talented player, a subsection of those fans will justify the move as a smart move for the long term health of their team (whether or not the move is good or bad is irrelevant - it ALWAYS happens, someone will justify the decision). Most of the time, we don’t know where that subsection resides. In the case of the Rams - we all know it’s gonna be you.

Wear it with pride, buddy.

First off Im not trying to justify the Rams moving on from Ramsey as a good move. I said though the Rams are an aggressive team and when they move on from good or key players they typically will bring in another one and in the McVay era the track record of success shows it has worked overall. IF Ramsey is traded he would clearly be the best player the Rams have moved off from. But do you think the Rams will sit on their hands knowing they just traded away a top 3 corner? I dont.

Besides Ive said on twitter about how it was a mistake to move on from Woods. Understandable at the time bringing in ARob did seem like even at the slightest an upgrade. But the fit and importance of what Woods meant to the offense was even bigger. Now the Rams can rewrite that by bringing him back and if they can move on from ARob too. So Im not always the guy to justify everything the Rams do. Im just looking at it from a different point of view. Until I see the Rams string together multiple bad seasons with McVay then Im always going to give them the benefit of the doubt entirely.

And I DO want to bring the Cowboys into this conversation bc it frustrates me they havent sniffed the NFCCG in 28yrs but every year people tend to give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what yet if the Rams lose a game there instantly are people doubting them knowing what McVay track record as since he has been Rams coach. Thats the type of thing that gets me. I feel like the Rams should be able to move on from Ramsey in the same way the Chiefs moved on from Hill and yes there will be people saying its over but there were still some saying as long as they have Reid and Mahomes they will be fine. Will as long as the Rams have Les and McVay with an owner who isnt afraid to spend money and a starting QB who won the Superbowl last February and arguably the best receiver in the NFL and one of the best defenders of all-time. Like at the very least give the Rams the benefit of the doubt until they show us all otherwise.