Time to Blow It Up!

Rgossett07

Been a fan for over 35 years.  By far the most frustrating season I have been through in awhile.

First off... Stephen Ross loves to spend $$.  He should go ask Jimmy Johnson how much $$ it would take to have him run the front office.  Then pay him whatever that number is.  His ROI would be 10 fold.

Came into the season LOVING Adam Gase.  Felt like he really established himself in the locker room last season and the team played hard for him.  His unwavering support for Jay Cutler is mind boggling.  Don't get me wrong, the WR corp hasn't helped any of the QB's out this season.  Cutler has looked below average at best. Davante Parker is an absolute bust at this point.  

Parker's hype rivaled Don King's for Mike Tyson in the 80s and 90s.  He was supposed to make that giant leap to be a legitimate #1 receiver.  Dominant practice player that plays timid in the game.  4 targets in the last 2 games have gone for 4 INT's. 

As I watched the Steelers and Packers last night, it was evident what a #1WR looks like.  They get target after target after target.  The defense knows its coming and the WR still seem to dominate. (Antonio Brown, Davante Adams).  Parker simply runs his route and rarely shows  effort to make a play.  Carroo is non existent. Lost a 3rd round pick on him.  What happened to the "We are going to use Jakeem Grant more and more to utilize his talents"?  Other than returns, he is non existent.

Kenyan Drake shows flashes but he cant hold onto the ball.  He isn't the future.  Good backup.

Where is the Laremy Tunsil dominance?  Average at best.  Was better at guard last year.

Was Charles Harris the right pick?  Non Factor.  "He's learning". 

The one move I loved was trading away Ajayi and his self centered "me" attitude who was going to want big $$ after next season.  He is Philly's problem now.

Penalties.  This team is so undisciplined.  Direct reflection of the coaching staff. 

As excited as I was for this season, to finally  be competitive and contend for the AFC East, we are far from that. 

TIME TO BLOW IT UP!

I would game plan the next 5 games around Davante Parker and find out what he has.  No less than 10 targets a game.  You already know Landry and Stills are the real deal.  Big question is whether or not Landry will even want to be back.  Miami needs him.  If Carroo was the replacement, we would be seeing more of him.  We aren't.

Need to get Asiata some experience.  Hasn't been active yet and he needs reps. 

Tannehill, Pouncey, James and Wake are all names to look out for when it comes to restructuring or cutting. 

Julius Thomas will be gone.  He will save Miami $5-6m. 

Tannehill and Suh will have to restructure if Miami wants to resign Landry.  Letting James walk saves them $8m.  Outright cutting Tannehill saves them $15m. Pouncey $6m. 

What really scares me is this draft is supposed to be the worst in years.  And everything will be in play this year.

OL, OLB, QB, RB, TE are my top 5.

MIAMI MUST DEVELOP THEIR DRAFT PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!! you don't win in Free Agency.

In a perfect world, Tannehill restructures to save $10m somehow.  Suh also restructures to save $7-8m. Cut Thomas and let James walk.  Saves Miami close to $30m.  Landry will want $10-12m.  Pay him. Works hard and is the only consistent thing you have on offense. I might try and flip that extra 4th rounder we got from Philly for a veteran OL.  Do we bring in Bridgewater on a cheap contract for competition? Take a flyer on Lamar Jackson? Baker Mayfield? Sign Kaep? In any scenario, Moore wont be back.  And there needs to be a legitimate competitor pushing Tannehill.

Miami has taken a giant step backwards this season.  Still think they are 2-3 years away from being a legitimate threat in AFC East (Sadly). 

36 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

Been a fan for over 35 years.  By far the most frustrating season I have been through in awhile.

First off... Stephen Ross loves to spend $$.  He should go ask Jimmy Johnson how much $$ it would take to have him run the front office.  Then pay him whatever that number is.  His ROI would be 10 fold.

Came into the season LOVING Adam Gase.  Felt like he really established himself in the locker room last season and the team played hard for him.  His unwavering support for Jay Cutler is mind boggling.  Don't get me wrong, the WR corp hasn't helped any of the QB's out this season.  Cutler has looked below average at best. Davante Parker is an absolute bust at this point.  

Parker's hype rivaled Don King's for Mike Tyson in the 80s and 90s.  He was supposed to make that giant leap to be a legitimate #1 receiver.  Dominant practice player that plays timid in the game.  4 targets in the last 2 games have gone for 4 INT's. 

As I watched the Steelers and Packers last night, it was evident what a #1WR looks like.  They get target after target after target.  The defense knows its coming and the WR still seem to dominate. (Antonio Brown, Davante Adams).  Parker simply runs his route and rarely shows  effort to make a play.  Carroo is non existent. Lost a 3rd round pick on him.  What happened to the "We are going to use Jakeem Grant more and more to utilize his talents"?  Other than returns, he is non existent.

Kenyan Drake shows flashes but he cant hold onto the ball.  He isn't the future.  Good backup.

Where is the Laremy Tunsil dominance?  Average at best.  Was better at guard last year.

Was Charles Harris the right pick?  Non Factor.  "He's learning". 

The one move I loved was trading away Ajayi and his self centered "me" attitude who was going to want big $$ after next season.  He is Philly's problem now.

Penalties.  This team is so undisciplined.  Direct reflection of the coaching staff. 

As excited as I was for this season, to finally  be competitive and contend for the AFC East, we are far from that. 

TIME TO BLOW IT UP!

I would game plan the next 5 games around Davante Parker and find out what he has.  No less than 10 targets a game.  You already know Landry and Stills are the real deal.  Big question is whether or not Landry will even want to be back.  Miami needs him.  If Carroo was the replacement, we would be seeing more of him.  We aren't.

Need to get Asiata some experience.  Hasn't been active yet and he needs reps. 

Tannehill, Pouncey, James and Wake are all names to look out for when it comes to restructuring or cutting. 

Julius Thomas will be gone.  He will save Miami $5-6m. 

Tannehill and Suh will have to restructure if Miami wants to resign Landry.  Letting James walk saves them $8m.  Outright cutting Tannehill saves them $15m. Pouncey $6m. 

What really scares me is this draft is supposed to be the worst in years.  And everything will be in play this year.

OL, OLB, QB, RB, TE are my top 5.

MIAMI MUST DEVELOP THEIR DRAFT PICKS!!!!!!!!!!!! you don't win in Free Agency.

In a perfect world, Tannehill restructures to save $10m somehow.  Suh also restructures to save $7-8m. Cut Thomas and let James walk.  Saves Miami close to $30m.  Landry will want $10-12m.  Pay him. Works hard and is the only consistent thing you have on offense. I might try and flip that extra 4th rounder we got from Philly for a veteran OL.  Do we bring in Bridgewater on a cheap contract for competition? Take a flyer on Lamar Jackson? Baker Mayfield? Sign Kaep? In any scenario, Moore wont be back.  And there needs to be a legitimate competitor pushing Tannehill.

Miami has taken a giant step backwards this season.  Still think they are 2-3 years away from being a legitimate threat in AFC East (Sadly). 

Why would we let James walk?  When he was healthy, he was the best Olineman we had.  Tunsil certainly has had his ups and downs, but given that it's his first year as a LT in the NFL, I'm fine with it.  If he doesn't progress in year 2, it's time to worry a bit.  I agree that Pouncey is making way too much money.  Our OGs are pathetic.  I agree with you on both Parker and Harris.  I didn't want either of those picks when they were made, and neither looks good now.  They are both "meh" players.  They aren't busts, but they are merely contributors.  You hope to aim a little higher with 1st round picks.  As little as I am a fan of Tannehill, I move on from him after next year not this one.  Hopefully they get a shot at one of the QBs this year in the 1st round, and he can ride the pine in 2018 behind Tannehill.  

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Does this mean firing Gase and/or Tannenbaum and/or Grier?

It means get rid of mediocrity.  Id get rid of Tannebaum and Grier before Gase.  The front office MUST address the O-Line.  Harris in the first round last year was a huge miss when we had Branch, Hayes and Wake all of which were going to see significant roles.  I would even like to see them moving around early in the draft compiling picks. 

I'm all for bringing Jimmy into the FO, but before I do that I would make a serious run at Bill Polian.  I would make Polian the president of football operations in a second.  6 time NFL executive of the year that has overseen the creation of several Super Bowl contenders.

2 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I'm all for bringing Jimmy into the FO, but before I do that I would make a serious run at Bill Polian.  I would make Polian the president of football operations in a second.  6 time NFL executive of the year that has overseen the creation of several Super Bowl contenders.

Ross would have Parcells flashbacks. Polian is an accomplished executive but he is 74, 9 years older than the ghost of Parcells when he was hired. He was inducted to the HoF a couple years ago; I doubt his desire or drive would be there.

I have a lot more thoughts re: the OP coming later.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Ross would have Parcells flashbacks. Polian is an accomplished executive but he is 74, 9 years older than the ghost of Parcells when he was hired. He was inducted to the HoF a couple years ago; I doubt his desire or drive would be there.

I have a lot more thoughts re: the OP coming later.

Valid point......I suppose I just have a man crush on Polian lol.

I like Tannehill and Gase  at least one more year together, in saying that though all other assistant coaches need to be shown the door after the season is done. Burke's defensive scheme is junk, there is to much talent on this teams defense to get gashed week in and week out like it does in all phases of the game. The offense is horrible, time  for a new OC /play caller, I know the O-line is week and the injuries are mounting but even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then unlike Miami's offense that is the same scripted junk every week. I swear the offense looks exactly the same every game the only thing that changes is the color of the jersey's on the other side making the plays against it. The special teams return team is horrible also, to my best recollection Miami has not even been close to breaking a kickoff or punt return for a TD, heck most of the time the K.O return barely even gets to the 25 yard line.

I will judge Gase this off season by watching to see if he is as hard on himself and his coaching staff for not doing their  job as he is on players that do not do their job.

I don't know if you guys watch the press conferences during the week, but I can tell you what Gase thinks, as he has said this all year. #1 Some players are sleep walking through games, Parker comes to mind. They are merely going through the motions. Gase knows who they are, and they won't be on the team next year. #2. Gase believes that the team can win every game left, and as such, he isn't in the mind set to let players just get some reps. That won't happen until the Dolphins are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. As remote as it seems, IF the Dolphins win the next 5 games, they could still make the playoffs. #3. Gase likes the roster when everyone is healthy. He simply doesn't want to blow the team up. He wants to make decisions based on talent, not salary cap. #5 Gase wants to continue to build through the draft. That includes the O-line.

4 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I wanna to be the first NFL team to go to a 4-2-5. Get a rangy deep FS, and have TJM and RJ roaming round.

Image result for 4-2-5 defense

I think that should never be an NFL base defense.  NFL QB arm talent is just too good for a safety to consistently have that much range.  It just tells the QB that the defense is running cover 1 and is vulnerable to TE seam routes and anything deep down either sideline.

It does have its place situationally and is basically a version of the nickel defense with some funky alignment.

2 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I think that should never be an NFL base defense.  NFL QB arm talent is just too good for a safety to consistently have that much range.  It just tells the QB that the defense is running cover 1 and is vulnerable to TE seam routes and anything deep down either sideline.

It does have its place situationally and is basically a version of the nickel defense with some funky alignment.

You're paying to much attention to the depth (or lack thereof) of the SS's. It's really just to illustrate the even nature of the alignment. 

Cover 3 would be run a lot, too, with mainly the CB's. We're essentially trading out a LB for a SS, going with our strengths.

16 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

We're essentially trading out a LB for a SS, going with our strengths.

A lot of teams do this in practice if not in name, there are a lot of guys who are listed as a LB technically but are more of a LB/S hybrid, sometimes called a "rover".

Look at Mark Barron for the Rams, drafted as a safety originally, moved to LB listed at 225lbs. Telvin Smith is a 215lbs "LB" for the Jags.

Miami doesn't have a guy like that, the closest they've come is when they run "big nickel" and use Michael Thomas as a slot CB but I haven't seen that much at all this year..

Archived