Time to Blow It Up!

Rgossett07

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

A lot of teams do this in practice if not in name, there are a lot of guys who are listed as a LB technically but are more of a LB/S hybrid, sometimes called a "rover".

Look at Mark Barron for the Rams, drafted as a safety originally, moved to LB listed at 225lbs. Telvin Smith is a 215lbs "LB" for the Jags.

Miami doesn't have a guy like that, the closest they've come is when they run "big nickel" and use Michael Thomas as a slot CB but I haven't seen that much at all this year..

Telvin is a pure LB.

I'm talking about 2 legit interchangeable hard-hitting SS's + a deep FS, like Williams from last year who the Saints drafted. This way you don't have to tip any type of defensive playcall by bringing in the specialized big nickel/rover, and you can have an even defensive formation. There'd be a lot of zone coverage, so the pass rush would have to be good.

13 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Telvin is a pure LB.

I'm talking about 2 legit interchangeable hard-hitting SS's + a deep FS, like Williams from last year who the Saints drafted. This way you don't have to tip any type of defensive playcall by bringing in the specialized big nickel/rover, and you can have an even defensive formation. There'd be a lot of zone coverage, so the pass rush would have to be good.

Ok, so I think I understand you better now.  I see the advantage in that you don't tip your hat as frequently with the play calling, and I would love to see us be able to pull off this type of defense, but the reason why it is so difficult to do is there just aren't enough SS types to have two or four on the team that can consistently hold their ground in the run game when isolated against NFL Olinemen.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:47 PM, freak_of_nature said:

I wanna to be the first NFL team to go to a 4-2-5. Get a rangy deep FS, and have TJM and RJ roaming round.

Image result for 4-2-5 defense

The 4-2-5 is essentially today's NFL base defense being that defense's are in this formation the majority of the time anyway vs the pass heavy offenses and the ever popular 11 personnel. Many teams are already using this as their base and draft accordingly. NE primarily uses the 3-3-5.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:49 PM, Swampbilly said:

I think that should never be an NFL base defense.  NFL QB arm talent is just too good for a safety to consistently have that much range.  It just tells the QB that the defense is running cover 1 and is vulnerable to TE seam routes and anything deep down either sideline.

It does have its place situationally and is basically a version of the nickel defense with some funky alignment.

You can run just about every and any coverage you like out of this formation. The image of the grouping is simply to ID personnel.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:12 PM, cddolphin said:

Anybody think a shift to a 3-4 is possible? 

Not with our current personnel and the way we've drafted the past few years. DE Harris and LB McMillian are strictly 4-3 front 7 defenders and IMO, Suh is too selfish to be a 2 gap lineman and has always played in and preferred 1 gap penetrating role.

There could be a shift to a 4-3 Under, which is kind of a hybrid b/w the two, but you'd still have to find role players for an interior 2 gap lineman and the SOLB position on the LOS. Harris would then have to switch as well to the open weak side.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, Swampbilly said:

I'm all for bringing Jimmy into the FO, but before I do that I would make a serious run at Bill Polian.  I would make Polian the president of football operations in a second.  6 time NFL executive of the year that has overseen the creation of several Super Bowl contenders.

Please make this happen so I don't have to listen to Polian call games on the radio any more lol

On 11/30/2017 at 6:27 PM, Swampbilly said:

but the reason why it is so difficult to do is there just aren't enough SS types to have two or four on the team that can consistently hold their ground in the run game when isolated against NFL Olinemen.

Yes, you'd need to spend high draft picks on safeties great vs the run, and still very good in intermediate zone coverage, and passable in deep coverage.

You'd also need to invest in the D-Line for 2 good all-round base DE's, then find DT's who might not be very talented but require multiple blockers.

This is what JJ did here with Taylor, Bowens, and Gardner/Chester.But Timbo was already here and a great talent, and the other two were good, too.

I want to put down some thoughts that I have about the direction of the draft. This is from Gase's perspective, and from articles that different beat writers have written over this season. I don't know if the front office is going to give Gase what he wants, but if Gase had his way, this is what the draft will look like. I also again want to state that Gase likes the roster when healthy, and that in no way is he going to blow up the roster. Ross isn't going to fire Gase, because Tannehills injury gives him a free pass. Gase wants a shotgun based offense, that throws to open the running game. Gase wants a defense that is athletic, and tough against the run. In this draft, this is what Gase wants the most. Gase wants an alpha WR, more than anything. The team hoped that Parker would step into this role, but he hasn't. As such, the offense is being held back, and has become very predictable. Landry and Stills are doing most of the work. Defenses are keying in on them. A true #1 WR would open up a new world of possibilities for our offense. the Dolphins need a tall, physical WR. The second on Gase's list of wants is an athletic, run stuffing SLB. Timmons won't be back next season, and Alonso and McMillian are locked in. The Dolphins have lacked a solid SLB for over a decade. Our poor run defense is proof positive of this. The third want in the is a dynamic DE, one that can do everything. Harris has been a bit of a disappointment. His lack of ability in the run game has been used against us all year. Hopefully he can develop into a better all around defender. That being said, a DE that can play the run as well as the pass is needed. Just these 3 players would change this team in a huge way. If Jesse Davis plays well at RT the rest of the season, James can be released, freeing up much needed cap space. If not, Suh is either going to have to take a pay cut, or be traded or released. Landry is going to be the top free agent priority. Tannehill and Landry have a special connection, you just can't find that anywhere. Both of our rookie DT's have played well, and the Dolphins may feel that the drop off from loosing Suh, or James, is less than the drop off of loosing Landry.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:37 PM, ericsvibe said:

I want to put down some thoughts that I have about the direction of the draft. This is from Gase's perspective, and from articles that different beat writers have written over this season. I don't know if the front office is going to give Gase what he wants, but if Gase had his way, this is what the draft will look like. I also again want to state that Gase likes the roster when healthy, and that in no way is he going to blow up the roster. Ross isn't going to fire Gase, because Tannehills injury gives him a free pass. Gase wants a shotgun based offense, that throws to open the running game. Gase wants a defense that is athletic, and tough against the run. In this draft, this is what Gase wants the most. Gase wants an alpha WR, more than anything. The team hoped that Parker would step into this role, but he hasn't. As such, the offense is being held back, and has become very predictable. Landry and Stills are doing most of the work. Defenses are keying in on them. A true #1 WR would open up a new world of possibilities for our offense. the Dolphins need a tall, physical WR. The second on Gase's list of wants is an athletic, run stuffing SLB. Timmons won't be back next season, and Alonso and McMillian are locked in. The Dolphins have lacked a solid SLB for over a decade. Our poor run defense is proof positive of this. The third want in the is a dynamic DE, one that can do everything. Harris has been a bit of a disappointment. His lack of ability in the run game has been used against us all year. Hopefully he can develop into a better all around defender. That being said, a DE that can play the run as well as the pass is needed. Just these 3 players would change this team in a huge way. If Jesse Davis plays well at RT the rest of the season, James can be released, freeing up much needed cap space. If not, Suh is either going to have to take a pay cut, or be traded or released. Landry is going to be the top free agent priority. Tannehill and Landry have a special connection, you just can't find that anywhere. Both of our rookie DT's have played well, and the Dolphins may feel that the drop off from loosing Suh, or James, is less than the drop off of loosing Landry.

Timmons is fully guaranteed is he not? or did that become waived when he invalidated terms of his deal by going AWOL?

Timmons basically destroyed his deal when he went AWOL. We will see how the rest of the season plays out. Davis and Young seem to be building some chemistry on he right side. I still believe that a physical WR is needed. I don't think we need to draft one in the first round. It looks to me tat DE or SLB will be the priority in the first.

On 12/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, Kaiowas05 said:

or did that become waived when he invalidated terms of his deal by going AWOL?

It did indeed. Timmons has NO guarantees in 2018 and his recent dip in performance likely means he won't be on the squad next season. McMillan should be back healthy.

You lost your starting QB at the start of the season and you went several games without your second starting QB and went 6-7. 

For comparison, the Packers went 8 games without Aaron Rodgers and went 3-5.  One of the Packer wins came against the Browns.  One of the Dolphin wins came against the Patriots.

It's time for you to blow up your impatience and take a second to reflect on the fact that good head coaches don't grow on trees.

Archived