Official 2023 MLB Gameday Thread

Herbie_Hancock

Everyone blew their wad on Jasson Dominguez being fat and a typical overrated Yankee prospect, but he's in much better shape now and played really well into AA in his first full season. As a switch hitter who missed a full pandemic year, he just needs a lot more reps.

Of the metric ton prospects Cash has given away for very little, Alcantara is the one I'm most worried about @hrubes20

Edited by redsoxsuck05

Jeff Passan  -   BREAKING: Star third baseman Manny Machado and the San Diego Padres are finalizing an 11-year, $350 million contract extension, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Machado helped turn around the franchise. He'll stay as the ascendant Padres seek their first championship.

22 hours ago, Leader said:

Jeff Passan  -   BREAKING: Star third baseman Manny Machado and the San Diego Padres are finalizing an 11-year, $350 million contract extension, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Machado helped turn around the franchise. He'll stay as the ascendant Padres seek their first championship.

The Padres owner could have run $40M payrolls and gotten a pass from compromised sports media, resentful boomer fans, and Ivy League dbags about SD being a small market.

This guy along with Middleton and Cohen have to be the best owners in the game, by far. We need more owners whom are baseball fans that happen to be Uber rich, less inheritance dorks who "run" teams like a Private Equity firm.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Everyone blew their wad on Jasson Dominguez being fat and a typical overrated Yankee prospect, but he's in much better shape now and played really well into AA in his first full season. As a switch hitter who missed a full pandemic year, he just needs a lot more reps.

Of the metric ton prospects Cash has given away for very little, Alcantara is the one I'm most worried about @hrubes20

You at least got Rizzo for him.  Rizz has hit really well for the Yanks.  

But yeah, Alcantara is a pretty fun prospect to follow.  Arguably the highest ceiling in the system and he's already hitting a bit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Leader said:

Machado - UFA - age 41
Bogaerts - UFA - age 41
Darvish    - UFA - age 42
Soto    ?

Tatis will be like 36 when they stop paying him, and he's already had a bunch of injuries and a PED suspension as well.  Gonna be a horror show after awhile down in SD.  But man, they are gonna be fun to watch the next few years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

You at least got Rizzo for him.  Rizz has hit really well for the Yanks.  

But yeah, Alcantara is a pretty fun prospect to follow.  Arguably the highest ceiling in the system and he's already hitting a bit.

As an Aaron Judge fan, I simp for any tall athletes who don't sell out for power in the minors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Tatis will be like 36 when they stop paying him, and he's already had a bunch of injuries and a PED suspension as well.  Gonna be a horror show after awhile down in SD.  But man, they are gonna be fun to watch the next few years. 

I think a key in their divisional matchup is how their minor league development squares with the Dodgers. Both are now top spenders.....the deciding factor could be the depth coming up to supplement the cash rich lineup.

Edited by Leader

The fact that Josh Donaldson is going to be the Yankees starting 3rd baseman again just makes me absolutely sick. Can’t stand him. Hoping Hicks doesn’t see any playing time either.

I know they won’t, but Volpe should be up in the Majors playing somewhere. I want to see Volpe, Peraza, and Cabrera as every day players. Change the guard, and get some excitement around the team.

On 2/26/2023 at 1:40 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

The league has to know guys getting called for K's for the clock is a terrible look right

They're doing it in ST hard and fast so that guys will be used to it by the start of the season. We live by an MiLB park that's been using it for awhile and it's fantastic! Quickens the pace of the game wonderfully. More baseball + less waiting = a better product.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, FGK said:

They're doing it in ST hard and fast so that guys will be used to it by the start of the season. We live by an MiLB park that's been using it for awhile and it's fantastic! Quickens the pace of the game wonderfully. More baseball + less waiting = a better product.

For sure.. as I just heard on the Poscast, it's no different than a delay of game penalty in football or a shot clock violation in basketball. 

• Like 1