Official 2023 MLB Gameday Thread

Herbie_Hancock

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Why are the better American pitchers not in there?

Not sure if it's a team thing or a player thing, but I'm guessing they just weren't comfortable ramping things up so much earlier than usual and risking the injury.  

14 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

It's insane to me that no one is willing to give Bauer a contract.

Almost certainly has to do with the fear of losing serious sponsors.  The owners don't care about the fans that would be alienated by a Bauer signing, but they certainly don't want to upset those companies they have multi-million dollar deals with.  Those companies, whether they actually care or not, will come out against a Bauer signing to avoid any possible negative PR.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Almost certainly has to do with the fear of losing serious sponsors.  The owners don't care about the fans that would be alienated by a Bauer signing, but they certainly don't want to upset those companies they have multi-million dollar deals with.  Those companies, whether they actually care or not, will come out against a Bauer signing to avoid any possible negative PR.

Only in america can you be guilty for the rest of your life after being found innocent t 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:08 PM, Mesa_Titan said:

It's insane to me that no one is willing to give Bauer a contract.

This is why I hate the precedent that these sports leagues should be acting like quasi judiciaries and decide for themselves questions of guilt. Basically it's become if there is an accusation you are screwed. I'm not gonna pretend we know everything but I know a DA refused to prosecute and a judge in a restrainging order suit said everything he did was consentual. Baseball, or any other league, shouldn't be stepping in and saying we know better. Let the legal system handle it. If they say he is free to work then let him play. If people don't like what the legal system is doing work to changes the laws not move the decision to a private company

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I'd be all for the WBC if international baseball was a real, actual thing instead of four ******* countries that actually play the sport and then a bunch of American players having to pretend they're Greek or whatever because they had a 5th cousin from Macedonia. 

I mean, regardless, if they weren't in the WBC they'd be playing spring training games where they could still get injured. I don't really see the difference.

• Like 2