Manchester United Thread - Fred's a Red

UKTexans

25 minutes ago, kempus said:

Mourinhos treatment of some of the younger players (Shaw in particular), was disgraceful last season.

I despised him at Chelsea and still do now.

He's less likeable than LVG and Moyes, and outside the Europa League, no more successful for United.

Edited by texans_uk

12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I despised him at Chelsea and still do now.

He's less likeable than LVG and Moyes, and outside the Europa League, no more successful for United.

Yeah, I agree. He seems to have become more spiteful and vindictive the older he gets too.

2 minutes ago, kempus said:

Yeah, I agree. He seems to have become more spiteful and vindictive the older he gets too.

At least before he was occasionally amusing.You are right, now it's just pure spite. I think maybe the multiple sackings by Chelsea and Real have left him bitter.

1 minute ago, kempus said:

Ha, it would be pretty awkward if the deal isn't done.

mikel.jpg

Stranger things have happened. 

But yeah, it has to be basically done. 

Not sure how I feel spending £40m on a guy who turns 29 tomorrow. 

I remember thinking spending £24m on RVP was a lot at the time. 

30 minutes ago, persiandud said:

Matic is a solid addition. Was hoping he'd stay on with Chelsea. you guys needed a bit more steel in midfield 

LOL at the guy suggesting Verratti. keep dreaming pal. 

We can dream! 

With Matic now all tied up, barring something extraordinary happening, the final piece of the puzzle for Mourinho is a winger. 

I'm personally hoping we stand PAT now or sign a right back. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

We can dream! 

With Matic now all tied up, barring something extraordinary happening, the final piece of the puzzle for Mourinho is a winger. 

I'm personally hoping we stand PAT now or sign a right back. 

you guys are primed for a nice bounceback season, ready to contend for the league title. i think City will take it, but you should be in the conversation. also, i think despite the league finish Mourinho had a fairly successful debut season 

7 minutes ago, persiandud said:

you guys are primed for a nice bounceback season, ready to contend for the league title. i think City will take it, but you should be in the conversation. also, i think despite the league finish Mourinho had a fairly successful debut season 

Depends how you finish successful. 

Winning the Europa League was a success. Can't say we had the toughest opponents. 

Winning the League Cup is a minor success.

Finishing 6th is a massive failure. 

Scoring 26 goals at home is a failure. 

Drawing at home to Stoke, Burnley, West Ham, Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea is a failure. 

Giving up on 4th spot with weeks remaining is a failure. 

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Depends how you finish successful. 

Winning the Europa League was a success. Can't say we had the toughest opponents. 

Winning the League Cup is a minor success.

Finishing 6th is a massive failure. 

Scoring 26 goals at home is a failure. 

Drawing at home to Stoke, Burnley, West Ham, Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom and Swansea is a failure. 

Giving up on 4th spot with weeks remaining is a failure. 

he needed to give up on 4th to ensure a spot through a Europa league win. that was the easier route, and it paid off 

nevertheless, 2 trophies is nothing to scoff at. the man continues to win 

also, xG (expected goals) had you as very unfortunate in a majority of those draws. given a regression to the mean, and the new signings, the outlook for United is pretty good. 

Edited by persiandud

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

nevertheless, 2 trophies is nothing to scoff at. the man continues to win 

Had Ajax turned up in the Europa League Final we could potentially be looking at a League Cup win and 6th place.

You can't say we were unlucky not to score more, but then say not playing for 4th and winning the Europa League wasn't the opposite.

It's incredibly dangerous to put all your eggs in one basket, particualy when you announce it so publicly and he's lucky John Guidetti missed a sitter in the last minute of the semi final. 

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

but it worked 

Barely. 

It was a poor PL campaign saved by an EL run where we were almost knocked out by the 13th best side in Spain. 

Our knockout run consisted of 

St Etienne 8th in France

Rostov 6th in Russia (Agg 2-1)

Anderlecht 1st in Belgium (Agg 3-2)

Celts Vigo 13th in Spain (Agg 2-1)