John Fox is still employed

G08

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

That’s not the case. Both sides have admitted fault there. In that meeting, McDaniels reportedly began by bragging about his achievements and qualifications, and then totally went off on Cutler in a way that’s unacceptable in any workplace. Just because you feel you were sold a false bill of goods with Cutler doesn’t justify McDaniels acting like a jag.

Cutler wasn’t the only one, either. Apparently he went ballistic on his assistant coaches in the locker room after a loss at Oakland.

Anyway, since his Denver days, McDaniels has changed drastically. At that time, he was young and arrogant, tried to control people through intimidation, and lived a lifestyle that physically wore him down. Since then, he has kept a journal of every mistake he made in Denver, changed the way he interacts with people, takes much better care of himself physically, and puts a lot more time into family and religion.

None of that means he will or will not be a successful head coach when he gets his second chance, but I think it’s hard to hold what happened in Denver against him given how cognizant he has been of his mistakes and how much he has changed.

Yeah, I thumped on McDaniels for a variety of errors when it was going down as he seemed to reek arrogance. However, just because he was arrogant doesn't mean he was crazy. You don't go off on Manning or Rodgers and you don't dangle Manning or Rodgers for trade bait either. He did both to Cutler which tells me he probably did not think that alienating Cutler was a problem going forward.

14 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Yeah, I thumped on McDaniels for a variety of errors when it was going down as he seemed to reek arrogance. However, just because he was arrogant doesn't mean he was crazy. You don't go off on Manning or Rodgers and you don't dangle Manning or Rodgers for trade bait either. He did both to Cutler which tells me he probably did not think that alienating Cutler was a problem going forward.

He may have been right about Cutler.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Matt Lafleur interests me a ton.

He has literally been studying under Shannahan and now McVay for almost his entire career.

I like LaFleur as well but like you went on to say guys like him and Nagy would need some experience around them.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I like LaFleur as well but like you went on to say guys like him and Nagy would need some experience around them.

I was thinking about some of the experienced guys.

OC,

Musgrave, was really good with Carr in Oakland

Wade Wilson, QB coach for Romo and Prescott and played QB for 20 years

Norv Turner

DC

Chuck Pagano, players seem to rally around him and was a good DC in Baltimore

Todd Bowles, but he looks like he is going to save his job

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I was thinking about some of the experienced guys.

OC,

Musgrave, was really good with Carr in Oakland

Wade Wilson, QB coach for Romo and Prescott and played QB for 20 years

Norv Turner

DC

Chuck Pagano, players seem to rally around him and was a good DC in Baltimore

Todd Bowles, but he looks like he is going to save his job

For LaFleur Jim Haslett would make a ton of sense...both served on Washington's staff for 3 years...Haslett was also HC in New Orleans when Pace was in the front office so there could be a comfort level there too...LaFleur has worked on staffs with some excellent coaches...

Mike Shanahan - Former 3x HC

Wade Phillips - Former 3x HC

Gary Kubiak - Former 2x HC

Alex Gibbs - ZBS guru

Dan Quinn - ATL HC

Sean McVay - LAR HC

Kyle Shanahan - SF HC

Mike McDaniels - Up and Coming Coach

Greg Olsen - former 3x OC

Terry Robiskie - TEN OC

Chris Morgan - ATL OL Coach

Frank Pollack - DAL OL Coach

John Benton - SF OL Coach

Richard Smith - LAC LB Coach - 3x DC

Frank Bush - MIA Assistant HC/LB Coach

Marquand Manuel - ATL DC

Bill Kolar - DEN DL Coach - former Assistant HC

Raheem Morris - Former HC/Assistant HC/DC

Jon Hoke - former CHI DB Coach

Robert Saleh - SF DC

That is a lot of experience and wins to call and get favors from when building a staff.

Fun Fact - LaFleur was an OC at Ashland university where we drafted Adam Shaheen from. 

Jim Trotter-Harbaughs dream job in all of football is the Bears.

John Harbaugh-Jim really likes Trubisky. Was high on him in the draft.

I would be totally cool with Harbaugh. But it would mean Pace is gone. That is not a deal breaker for me. I like Pace, but he has made enough mistakes that he is not bullet proof.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Jim Trotter-Harbaughs dream job in all of football is the Bears.

John Harbaugh-Jim really likes Trubisky. Was high on him in the draft.

I would be totally cool with Harbaugh. But it would mean Pace is gone. That is not a deal breaker for me. I like Pace, but he has made enough mistakes that he is not bullet proof.

Harbaugh doesn’t necessarily mean Pace is gone but it would mean a role change for sure. That’s a call that would have to come from McCaskey though because Pace is not going to effectively fire himself. I haven’t seen anything from anyone suggesting that McCaskey is ready to push Pace out the door. They know what a mess this was when he got here. 

I can’t imagine a situation where Pace isn’t given some time to see if his chosen franchise QB is actually a franchise QB outside of some sort of unforeseen disaster in the next 12 weeks. 

One big worry for me about our next HC is who will be his DC? I presume Pace will bring in a HC to pair with Trubisky but man there are very few candidates out there that I really like...I think the chances of Bowles being let go in NY are fading quickly...Chuck Pagano could be another option but again he would need to be let go in Indy and then it is a dog fight for him...I think we stick with a 3-4 D so the assistants I like are...

John Butler - Houston DBs coach

Nick Rapone - Arizona DBs coach

Gary Gibbs - KC LBs coach

One very interesting option would be Mike Pettine - clearly being an HC was too big for him but if you look at his defences...

2009 - NYJ - 1st Overall

2010 - NYJ - 3rd Overall

2011 - NYJ - 5th Overall

2012 - NYJ - 8th Overall (slipped to 11th in 2013)

2013 - BUF - 10th Overall (improved from 22nd in 2012)

Possible a Wade Phillips situation.

27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

One big worry for me about our next HC is who will be his DC? I presume Pace will bring in a HC to pair with Trubisky but man there are very few candidates out there that I really like...I think the chances of Bowles being let go in NY are fading quickly...Chuck Pagano could be another option but again he would need to be let go in Indy and then it is a dog fight for him...I think we stick with a 3-4 D so the assistants I like are...

John Butler - Houston DBs coach

Nick Rapone - Arizona DBs coach

Gary Gibbs - KC LBs coach

One very interesting option would be Mike Pettine - clearly being an HC was too big for him but if you look at his defences...

2009 - NYJ - 1st Overall

2010 - NYJ - 3rd Overall

2011 - NYJ - 5th Overall

2012 - NYJ - 8th Overall (slipped to 11th in 2013)

2013 - BUF - 10th Overall (improved from 22nd in 2012)

Possible a Wade Phillips situation.

I'm still high on the Rapone train, but Pettine is a good call. Not a fan of him being away from the game for this long but after his tenure he sure as hell isn't forgetting defense.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm still high on the Rapone train, but Pettine is a good call. Not a fan of him being away from the game for this long but after his tenure he sure as hell isn't forgetting defense.

That was a financial decision.

If he didn't take a job he would continue to cash out all his Browns money that he was owed.

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With how the defense is playing I would try and keep Fangio with a young offensive HC.

Give him a raise and autonomy.

If the reports that Fangio and Fox don't like each other are true it might be the best way to keep him.

I wouldn't have a major issue with keeping Fangio but I think we have to get a little more aggressive...sitting back playing bend don't break is worthless when you don't have an offence that can score a ton of points...we need to create more turnovers.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

That was a financial decision.

If he didn't take a job he would continue to cash out all his Browns money that he was owed?

Oh he would have to sacrifice the guaranteed pay from his HC gig? I've never heard that before.

Why would he even have interviewed for the DC job with Washington then?

Archived