Week 12 - 3 up and 3 down

tonyto36

UP:

1.  Trey Flowers

Flowers continues to have a quietly great season.  He's on pace for about 10 sacks despite being double teamed all the time and getting no consistent help anywhere else.  He plays inside and outside on the DL as well as does a pretty good job in coverage from what I've seen.   If we could find any semblance of pressure from the other DL spots he could be pushing for 15 sacks in the future.   Also fairly stout against the run game, he's been by far our best DL player and was again yesterday with 2 sacks, 4 total pressures, and had a forced fumble for a TD stolen from him by an early whistle call.

Dion Lewis

Clearly is the Patriots best runner and was used as such.  7.5 YPC and several big chunk plays that we hadn't seen from the running game in a very long time.  Part of that was taking advantage of over eager Dolphins defenders looking to pad their sack totals, but he also did a good job finding holes and maximizing what he could.  Several times he was either caught dead to rights behind the LOS or it looked like his run was over yet still found a way to scrap together more positive yardage.

3.  Stephon Gilmore

Thought he was dominant for most of the game.  Eliminated an option for Moore before the snap and had what should have been 2 interceptions instead of 1.   I remember him making a nice wrap up tackle and not missing any in the open field.

HM:  Brady, Van Noy, Wise, Gronkowski, Burkhead, Ebner, Mason, Cooks, Roberts, A. Butler, Develin

DOWN:

1.  Ted Karras

You can't have a bad snap like he had.  We were at home, Brady was clearly not calling for it.  He just for whatever reason decided to snap it.  Didn't make any sense.

2.  LaAdrian Waddle

After largely playing pretty well, he had a rougher day against Wake.  Part of that was just unexplainable play calling, but you would hope to do more to protect Brady.   Without seeing the pressure counts, it felt like Wake was constantly winning against Waddle and was in Bradys face every play.   McDaniels didn't do a lot of favors for Waddle, and you can only expect so much from a backup tackle, but after several impressive games, this was a step back for him.

3.  Malcolm Butler('s bank account)

This one is a bit relative (and lack of standout failures), but Butler had another one of those "not as good as last year" games.  Didn't play poorly, was even in the good range, but there were a couple plays where he got beat and it was a bit head scratching because he never got beat or turned around it feels like the past two years.  He's played roughly as well as a healthy Rowe has.  That is to say well, but not elite like we're expecting.

HM:  McDaniels, Fleming

Random notes: 

-Adam Butler was I thought, our best DT yesterday.  Really goes to the state of the DL to be saying that.

-Jean-Francois finally got his ridiculous playing time reduced and it helped a ton

-First time I felt like the safeties were very meh.  Were late with help over the top a couple times and in man coverage gave up some plays.

-Jonathan Jones won't have a pretty line guarding Jarvis, but he's done better job than anyone else has the past couple years from what I can remember. 

-Dorsett played 61% of snaps, yet is largely there to just fill space and isn't a credible option.  We need Hogan and hopefully Mitchell to come back as we're down to one legitimate non-slot receiver.

-It's really amazing what Brady's been doing.  Down two OL, down to one outside WR and one injury prone (and snap count limited) slot WR.  And he nonchalantly puts up 35.  

-Develin has been playing pretty well this year.   Not sure Patriots particularly want a FB from a philosophical/schematic view point, but he's been too productive to not play.

-Solder has been much better of late after a really brutal start of the year.  His reemergence has been huge.

-Thuney has been okay to solid all year but I think Mason has really become a premier guard.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Johnathan Jones is an up. He had 9 solo tackles (none missed), didn't let any receivers have any YAC (which is key to their gameplan) and he also had a sack. Career day, so far.

He’s essentially what Cyrus Jones was supposed to be, minus the return ability. Shame we wasted a 2nd on Jones.

Karras gets a pass from me. He's never played C I don't think. To come in and know the protections, calls, cadence etc must be pretty tough. He's had what circa 100 snaps? Only 2 or 3 botched ones isn't bad. We do need Andrews back though.

My ups were Burkhead, Lewis, Gillmore, KVN, Jones, Gronk, A Butler

Downs, not many, but Waddle, Fleming. Struggling to think of many more. Collectively, that passive defensive drive that let them waltz into the endzone is a down. 

Jonathan Jones is BB's new disciple.  I think he's going to be much more improved as he gets more playing time or next season

Shaq Mason has been crushing all season.  Really hope he gets an extension whenever his contract nears end.

Fleming still really struggling against athletic DE's.  He's alright against your average D player but, against better athletes he gets smoked.

Adam Butler had a good game.  He's developing slow and steady but, he's definitely a passable DT

2 hours ago, bluemushrooms said:

Jonathan Jones is BB's new disciple.  I think he's going to be much more improved as he gets more playing time or next season

Shaq Mason has been crushing all season.  Really hope he gets an extension whenever his contract nears end.

Fleming still really struggling against athletic DE's.  He's alright against your average D player but, against better athletes he gets smoked.

Adam Butler had a good game.  He's developing slow and steady but, he's definitely a passable DT

Jones reminds me of Arrington.

I think Fleming just straight sucks.  Would surprised to see him on the team next year.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Karras gets a pass from me. He's never played C I don't think. To come in and know the protections, calls, cadence etc must be pretty tough. He's had what circa 100 snaps? Only 2 or 3 botched ones isn't bad. We do need Andrews back though.

Ehhh.  That is a pretty massive mistake you can't make.  On top of that, IIRC, Brady wasn't even calling anything that resembled a hike call.

It was like him yelling "rita"

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

Ehhh.  That is a pretty massive mistake you can't make.  On top of that, IIRC, Brady wasn't even calling anything that resembled a hike call.

Yeah it was a total malfunction. I assume it must be more difficult than it looks though, especially as Ted hasn't got the starting experience anywhere on the line.

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Jones reminds me of Arrington.

I think Fleming just straight sucks.  Would surprised to see him on the team next year.

Yeah I suppose he has a bit of Arrington in him.  Smaller guy, likes to make plays on the ball, speedster, good tackler, but has lapses in coverage.  

On 11/28/2017 at 11:08 AM, tonyto36 said:

I think Brady was yelling "Brandin!" presumably because Cooks was out of position or something.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, bluemushrooms said:

Yeah I suppose he has a bit of Arrington in him.  Smaller guy, likes to make plays on the ball, speedster, good tackler, but has lapses in coverage.  

Special teams guy who built a role for himself too.

On 11/29/2017 at 7:35 AM, 1ForTheThumb said:

Secondary at a whole was a big up for me. Gilmore had an outstanding game, Butler (aside from his penalty), Jones, and Harmon. This group is really coming together and they'll add Rowe soon. Things are looking up.

You know you're in a good place when you can expect to lose a top corner like Butler in the offseason and expect to be fine.

Having two guys like Gilmore and Rowe who can matchup against bigger receivers is going to be a nice weapon for us to have.  

Like having two 2014 Browners minus sucking as much.

Archived