2020 Packers Draft... 'A 1,001 ways for fans to confess that they are still butt-hurt that the Packers drafted a QB instead of a WR'.

vegas492

Assuming that Love Stinks, or is traded away.....how far back do we have to go to find another Packer draft this poor?

2015 was really bad.  Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Ryan, Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo, Backman.

2004.  Carroll, Thomas, Washington, Sander, Williams, Wells.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

HOF career.  Wins at least one title.

Hmmm.  Certainly that is now an A+ selection.

And QB being the most important player....and being that the selection took major stones....I can go as high as an A.

I can do an A+ if Dillon ALSO becomes our lead back and rushes for 1,100 yards or more in 3 straight seasons at some point and time....just not on the X-Box or Playstation.

Do we have a deal?

Deal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Assuming that Love Stinks, or is traded away.....how far back do we have to go to find another Packer draft this poor?

2015 was really bad.  Randall, Rollins, Montgomery, Ryan, Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo, Backman.

2004.  Carroll, Thomas, Washington, Sander, Williams, Wells.

04 has to be one of the worst drafts of the century.  Sherman traded up to select Sander.  The only saving grace of this is finding Scott Wells in the 7th and Corey Williams got the tag and trade that landed us... I think the Darryn Colledge pick?

BUT, if we go by pfr's Career AV rating, the 04 class was 44 points ahead of 2015.  Scott Wells himself scores 64 points though, being a successful player drafted in the 7th really helps that value out.  

4 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Runyan = C+ ;   He has started a lot of games, but really isn't very good.   Players like him are available.   That said players like this are the shortfall of Gute's drafting.  He doesn't get enough contributors.  Especially above replacement level contributors. A player like Sitton or Lange is an A.  A player like Runyon is still a C+ IMO.

Always grade on a curve.  Runyan was pick 192.  Lang was pick 109, and Sitton was 135. JRJ has played in every game since joining the Packers and started 16 and 17 games in the last two seasons, while not being a starter in 2019.  I think you are being more strict because of your anti-Gute bias.  This draft doesn't need that.  He gets basically a zero for his first, third, fifth, 2 sixths, and a seventh.  And I am being very generous to Jon Garvin because we have gotten 38 games out of him from the 242nd pick.

32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Always grade on a curve.  Runyan was pick 192.  Lang was pick 109, and Sitton was 135. JRJ has played in every game since joining the Packers and started 16 and 17 games in the last two seasons, while not being a starter in 2019.  I think you are being more strict because of your anti-Gute bias.  This draft doesn't need that.  He gets basically a zero for his first, third, fifth, 2 sixths, and a seventh.  And I am being very generous to Jon Garvin because we have gotten 38 games out of him from the 242nd pick.

I just don't think Runyon is very good.   Sitton and Lang both made the pro bowl.

I will admit that there may be some bias regarding Gute.  I think he has been poor.

• Like 1

Hard to top the 2015 draft, but this draft did make a run at it. It’s still probably worse than the 2017 draft, which fans were pretty critical of. Only J.Love breakout can salvage the class. 

on the other hand, maybe you can credit the Love pick with motivating Rodgers and getting a couple more good years out of him. 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The whole draft hinges on Love in GB.

Could be an A, could be an F. It's still incomplete.

I see it this same way. Of course, there is a camp that said  drafting Love lit an MVP fuse under Aaron’s well tanned taint but I don’t buy into that. If Love is a very good starter and if they get him in to play and get out of rebuild quickly, the draft is salvaged.  Dillon has been ok but has had some down games. If you get a RB early, you really want him to be great right away.  The position has a short shelf life and you can save money with a high turnover there. Runyan has been a decent starting lineman and that’s not nothing. Hope Jordan can show everyone what he’s got.

Edited by Refugee

3 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I just don't think Runyon is very good.   Sitton and Lang both made the pro bowl.

I will admit that there may be some bias regarding Gute.  I think he has been poor.

It is all good man, finding our own biases makes us better posters.  Just thought you were underselling JRJ a little.  I would even give that pick a high mark if we replace him.  We got two, most likely three, years of starts out of a mid 6th.  The rest of the 2020 draft doesn't look great though.  

While we all love AJ Dillon, he has been far less successful than Eddie Lacy, whom we selected with the 61 pick.  Situations are different, just food for thought.  

I like Gute's 2019 and 2022 drafts.  I am not a fan of the 2020 class, and I am not super impressed with the 2021 class either.  2021 already has 3 of 9 picks gone, and SJC and Newman have been outplayed.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Dillon was pick 62. Dang close to that 3rd round poison.

He makes jones better

Jones was an is already better.  Dillon, though, certainly keeps him fresher and is prolonging his career.

But here's the point...is a second round RB worth the selection if the production is at Dillon's level?

And...Jones is under contract and we keep kicking it down the road.  We've got dead money on the books for him until he's 33 years old.

Are we going to pay Dillon for a second contract?  If/when we move on from Jones, it's going to hurt a lot financially.  

12 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Regarding this draft...it is hard to come away with anything but "poor".  Course, the Love thing could pump this draft up some.  

The only way this draft isn't poor is if you give a lot of weight/credit to the drafting of Love in regards to Rodgers playing at an MVP level for 2 straight years.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

2021 already has 3 of 9 picks gone, and SJC and Newman have been outplayed.  

When I was looking up this 2020 class, I browsed 2021.  Woof.  Stokes really needs to get it together to save that class.  

But that one is funny because we've got 3 guys left who can be impact guys.  Stokes.  Myers.  Slaton.

Then you have a fringe guy in Newman. 

It'll be fun to write about in a year.

10 hours ago, Refugee said:

I see it this same way. Of course, there is a camp that said  drafting Love lit an MVP fuse under Aaron’s well tanned taint but I don’t buy into that. If Love is a very good starter and if they get him in to play and get out of rebuild quickly, the draft is salvaged.  Dillon has been ok but has had some down games. If you get a RB early, you really want him to be great right away.  The position has a short shelf life and you can save money with a high turnover there. Runyan has been a decent starting lineman and that’s not nothing. Hope Jordan can show everyone what he’s got.

This is where I'm at too. Drafting a Dillion should have led to saving money on Jones. But I'd also argue that Jones would have released had Rodgers not re-entered his prime. So I can see both sides of the argument. Either way, we're rapidly approaching a point where we'll have 2 RBs on second contracts.