2020 Packers Draft... 'A 1,001 ways for fans to confess that they are still butt-hurt that the Packers drafted a QB instead of a WR'.

vegas492

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

When I was looking up this 2020 class, I browsed 2021.  Woof.  Stokes really needs to get it together to save that class.  

But that one is funny because we've got 3 guys left who can be impact guys.  Stokes.  Myers.  Slaton.

Then you have a fringe guy in Newman. 

It'll be fun to write about in a year.

The only Gute draft class that has a chance of being good is 2022.  That looks to be his only decent year.   

Hopefully he is learning and can do better going forward.   His 2020 and 2021 drafts really hurt our chances when we should have been making a run for the SB.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

When I was looking up this 2020 class, I browsed 2021.  Woof.  Stokes really needs to get it together to save that class.  

But that one is funny because we've got 3 guys left who can be impact guys.  Stokes.  Myers.  Slaton.

Then you have a fringe guy in Newman. 

It'll be fun to write about in a year.

I really like Slaton.  But hitting with a 5th round DT is really more of a cherry on top of a draft, not a centerpiece.  Stokes and Myers really need to pick it up.  I think they can, but will they? McDuffie is pretty good too, but he is either third or fourth string ILB, and not to be confused with a preferred starter at all.  And I like SJC too, but you bring in Douglas, and Nixon, and they are immediately ahead of him on the depth chart, doesn't look promising. 

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding this draft...it is hard to come away with anything but "poor".  Course, the Love thing could pump this draft up some.  

The only way this draft isn't poor is if you give a lot of weight/credit to the drafting of Love in regards to Rodgers playing at an MVP level for 2 straight years.

I will give no credit to the Love pick for bumping up Rodgers.  Rodgers wasn't bad previous to Love being drafted, he just wasn't MVP.  Love will have to have a huge career, for the Packers, to bump up this draft too.  He more or less has sat for the entirety of his rookie contract, negating the cheap years of his contract.  And I am still not buying that Rodgers is gone, until it happens.  And nothing I have seen from Love leads me to believe that he can beat out a healthy Rodgers in a straight up competition either. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Jones was an is already better.  Dillon, though, certainly keeps him fresher and is prolonging his career.

But here's the point...is a second round RB worth the selection if the production is at Dillon's level?

And...Jones is under contract and we keep kicking it down the road.  We've got dead money on the books for him until he's 33 years old.

Are we going to pay Dillon for a second contract?  If/when we move on from Jones, it's going to hurt a lot financially.  

IF we choose to keep Dillon, hopefully it is backloaded so we don't have 30 million on RBs hit the cap.  Aaron Jones is very good.  I do think that Dillon and Williams very much prolong his effectiveness.  We have seen that he gets dinged up, and these good alternatives take some of the beating that a normal starting back would be taking.  This also begs the question, do you think that Patrick Taylor could do the job that AJ Dillon has done? Or more realistic, could Jones + Taylor = Jones + Dillon? The money difference between 2nd rounder Dillon and UDFA Taylor is only like 700k this year.  Now that comes with the opportunity cost of players that we could have taken with that second round pick.  Also, using the hindsight machine, there were a couple of DTs, OL, and S between Dillon and Deguara.  Everyone else is mediocre.  Not sure that there really was too much opportunity lost between the picks.  I am fine with the Dillon pick, and think his numbers would be better if he had more opportunity.  He also takes some of the beating for Jones.  Is it an "A" pick? No.  But it is probably a "B."

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The only Gute draft class that has a chance of being good is 2022.  That looks to be his only decent year.   

Hopefully he is learning and can do better going forward.   His 2020 and 2021 drafts really hurt our chances when we should have been making a run for the SB.

I LOVE the 2022 class.  And I think that the 2019 class was pretty good too.  But the mileage may vary on the 19 class depending on the view of Savage, or Gary for that matter.  Savage could have been better, but he also could have been a lot worse.  I am of the mind to let him walk, and try again, but what is the value of what he has done so far? Is getting 5 years of starting safety play a good pick? I honestly don't know.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I LOVE the 2022 class.  And I think that the 2019 class was pretty good too.  But the mileage may vary on the 19 class depending on the view of Savage, or Gary for that matter.  Savage could have been better, but he also could have been a lot worse.  I am of the mind to let him walk, and try again, but what is the value of what he has done so far? Is getting 5 years of starting safety play a good pick? I honestly don't know.

Gary was a good pick.  Didn't return much his first 2 years but has turned into a plus player at a premium position.

Savage IMO was not.  Yes, he started for the bulk of the last 4 years but has never been a plus level starter.   Bad return on the pick, especially when investing in a non-premium position.   I'd let him walk for sure unless we see some kind of big turnaround in his play this year.

2022 draft has a chance to be good.   Not wild about the first round, but the later round picks are what was missing out of earlier Gute drafts.   Tom, Enagbare, and Doubs all have a chance to be major contributors.  Watson looks like an answer.  Not sure what happened with Rhyan.  College tape looked good, but then nothing in his rookie season.  Hoping a light goes on for him.

Walker has a ton of physical talent but needs to play a lot smarter and more instinctive.   Wyatt didn't get enough playing time which was disappointing for an over aged draft pick.  He looked disruptive when on the field so have to put some of the question regarding his development on Barry.

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I'd argue that 2018 with JA could be labeled as good.  Probably better than decent.  

2019 looks like it can be decent with a chance still at good.  But, when looking at Gary, you have to remember that he took a while to develop, so that would take some accolades away.  But I get your opinion of that.

2020 is woof, we know that.  Love is still the X factor that could save that draft...or sink it entirely.

2021 isn't looking at that great yet.  But there is a chance....

2022 has the makings of a very good draft.  Still way too early, though.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

IF we choose to keep Dillon, hopefully it is backloaded so we don't have 30 million on RBs hit the cap.  Aaron Jones is very good.  I do think that Dillon and Williams very much prolong his effectiveness.  We have seen that he gets dinged up, and these good alternatives take some of the beating that a normal starting back would be taking.  This also begs the question, do you think that Patrick Taylor could do the job that AJ Dillon has done? Or more realistic, could Jones + Taylor = Jones + Dillon? The money difference between 2nd rounder Dillon and UDFA Taylor is only like 700k this year.  Now that comes with the opportunity cost of players that we could have taken with that second round pick.  Also, using the hindsight machine, there were a couple of DTs, OL, and S between Dillon and Deguara.  Everyone else is mediocre.  Not sure that there really was too much opportunity lost between the picks.  I am fine with the Dillon pick, and think his numbers would be better if he had more opportunity.  He also takes some of the beating for Jones.  Is it an "A" pick? No.  But it is probably a "B."

Just in regards to Patrick Taylor?  I'm not a fan.  I hope we try to do better than that.

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Savage IMO was not.  Yes, he started for the bulk of the last 4 years but has never been a plus level starter.   Bad return on the pick, especially when investing in a non-premium position.   I'd let him walk for sure unless we see some kind of big turnaround in his play this year.

What is the grade on Savage? Like C, C- maybe?

I don't think there is anything that he can do this year to make me want to retain him.  If he plays well, he will need to be paid well.  If he maintains his play, do you really want that?  And if he does worse, why would you want him back at all?  He was a premium investment for an average player.  I think we can get the guy from Illinois in the third and there won't be a drop off.  

And regarding Gary, he is very good.  And a project that hit.  But, Brian Burns and Montez Sweat have been more productive from later picks in the same draft and at more or less the same position.  Opportunity is a bit different, but they have him beat on all raw numbers.  I really like Gary, but I am also trying to be as objective as possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Jones was an is already better.  Dillon, though, certainly keeps him fresher and is prolonging his career.

But here's the point...is a second round RB worth the selection if the production is at Dillon's level?

And...Jones is under contract and we keep kicking it down the road.  We've got dead money on the books for him until he's 33 years old.

Are we going to pay Dillon for a second contract?  If/when we move on from Jones, it's going to hurt a lot financially.  

Dillon makes jones a better version of himself. Not comparing the two of them.

Who would you rather have than ajd from 2020 rd 3?

43 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Dillon makes jones a better version of himself. Not comparing the two of them.

Who would you rather have than ajd from 2020 rd 3?

I just looked at the players between Dillon and Deguara, maybe 2 hours ago.  Unless we really wanted an interior OL or a safety that we didn't need at the time, there really isn't anyone.

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just looked at the players between Dillon and Deguara, maybe 2 hours ago.  Unless we really wanted an interior OL or a safety that we didn't need at the time, there really isn't anyone.

yes. i think people are getting too caught up with the 2nd round pick designation - it was 2 picks away from round 3. the skill position players picked after him are literal nobodies. 

and on top of it... aj dillon has embraced wisconsin. future mayor of door county.

11 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

yes. i think people are getting too caught up with the 2nd round pick designation - it was 2 picks away from round 3. the skill position players picked after him are literal nobodies. 

and on top of it... aj dillon has embraced wisconsin. future mayor of door county.

Like Deguara? The point being you don't go skill player when it's the strength of your team and the player isn't elite. Add in the fact that RB's can be taken much later and have a much bigger impact than most positions. It was a horrific pick and went against one of the normal GB philosophies of not drafting RB's high. Gute is in way over his head and has more than enough time to prove himself. He literally murdered our title window and most of you are okay with it because you hate Aaron Rodgers. Amazing. 

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Like Deguara? The point being you don't go skill player when it's the strength of your team and the player isn't elite. Add in the fact that RB's can be taken much later and have a much bigger impact than most positions. It was a horrific pick and went against one of the normal GB philosophies of not drafting RB's high. Gute is in way over his head and has more than enough time to prove himself. He literally murdered our title window and most of you are okay with it because you hate Aaron Rodgers. Amazing. 

who would you have wanted from the third round? 

i don't hate aaron rodgers. i don't think he is worth 50 million dollars this year. i would like a lot of draft picks.

so extreme these days. 

3 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

i don't hate aaron rodgers. i don't think he is worth 50 million dollars this year. i would like a lot of draft picks.

so extreme these days. 

I wanted him to move up for a wr in a draft being talked about as one of the best wr drafts. We moved up for Love and took Dillion in the second. Trade your ******* picks for proven talent or move up to get a stud wr that we desperately needed next to Adams for Gutes entire tenure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

so extreme these days. 

I'm not saying you, there are 4 or so geriatrics with way too much time on their hands that will defend the draft that year and his drafting in general.

When you move up in the first for a QB and your baseless stance is he made Rodgers, an all time great QB, play like he had the majority of his career. It's literally braindead and bias thinking because they don't like Rodgers as a person.

• Like 1