Return to the hot seat?

Mid Iowa

So we hadn't reached the end of the game against the Rams and Payton was already back on the hot seat.

So my question to you is, what does this look like? Do we see if Dallas will trade if they decide to fire Garrett? Payton would have a hay day with that team in their current form, and we all know that he and Jerry Jones have a great relationship. Who knows, maybe he even takes Drew Brees with him.

So who comes in? Jon Gruden has always gotten along with Sean Payton, and I think Mickey Loomis and Gruden get along also. Can you imagine this team with Jon Gruden? Get a decent quarterback, or even a horrible quarterback, who cares, we saw what he can do with Brad Johnson. Anyway, get a good quarterback and hang on!

I would just like to know the thoughts from you guys as we were pretty quick to plunk Sean Payton back onto the hot seat after his first loss in nine games... with a decimated secondary.

I don’t think Payton needs to go, but I’m open to moving on if the timing is right and for proper compensation. Maybe when we let Brees go?

I would be open to it for a good trade return. I think you need a younger (or at least newer) more magnetic personality to replace him though, not Gruden. 

This young team has a lot of swagger and a coach that compliments that could be awesome to see.

It would take a total collapse the rest of the season to see this though, and I’m not really worried about it either way.

I actually like Gruden, but I'm not overly certain why. I think he just gets a lot out of players, and I like that.

We see new blood come into the league on a regular basis, so I don't/won't think our current situation is the best we can expect, as we've all discussed.

I do think it's funny how quickly he fell off the pedestal.

I'm just over Payton being Payton. Saints need some new life breathed into them. What better time than with a young roster. 

Brees is on the decline and won't be able to bail Payton out of the stupid things he does in game any more. Yesterday's game was just a small sample of things yet to come. You can't sit there and watch Harris get burned on every big play and not make a move. Starting the game out with 3 straight passes when your team is one of the top rushing teams in the league? Not using Kamara over Ingram this game when he's red hot? Calling that stupid time out at the end of the half that helped benefit the Rams? I mean come on, was he watching the same game we were? Brees was getting pressure on every 7 step drop. Gee, maybe call a few 3 steppers? Quick slant? Move the pocket? RUN KAMARA maybe?! 

I've been ready to move on from Payton for about 3 years now. Watching him squander the best years of a future HoF QB by not fielding a competent defense is just unforgivable for me. Time to move on. I'm tired of the same old story when it comes to Payton. Every time he shows flashes of maybe changing his striples.....Nope, same ol Payton.

I'm all for moving on from Payton when the time is right, but this guy just led this to team to an 8 game win streak and then after our 3rd loss of the season we want to move on from him again? Sure yesterdays loss sucked, and the coaching could've been better but that was our First loss in 8 weeks in a game that many of us chalked up as a loss anyways. 

These next few weeks are huge in determining the NFC South and the rest of the playoff picture. I don't think we were ever going to secure the #2 seed with how well the vikings are playing but what we can do is defend the division that we are still sitting on top of. We face the falcons and panthers two teams which are currently heating up. 

If we make the playoffs, Payton should stay. If we somehow miss out on them because we implode then yes fire Payton. I just think it would be a mistake to let go of a coach who has shown that he can win. He isn't perfect but he's good enough to win a superbowl with.

Also if Payton gets fired what kind of message would that send to the locker room? I'm sure everyone has noticed that the mood around here has been different and that these guys have been building up a family in a way. I believe if we fired Payton it would disrupt the locker room in a negative way. 

Well this is certainly a short memory.  We're 8-3 and in control of our own destiny to win the division.  I thought Kamara could have seen a few more touches, but that's not what lost us the game.  The Rams dominated up front, and our injured secondary got picked on.  Receivers doing a questionable job getting open, and Brees missed some throws when they were open.  

This was always going to be a tough game, and I feel good that we played them as well as we did with all the execution problems.  We were never gonna win out, the loss was coming at some point, we should have been prepared for it.  This Sunday is when the playoffs start for us, and we absolutely have to beat Carolina.  I fully expect Payton to go all out for this game.  It's not the end of the world yet, and after the extreme turnaround we've had this season, you gotta give Payton a chance to make the playoffs.  If we lose to Carolina, it's time to start biting the fingernails, but if we can win this game, I like our chances to win the division.  But even if we had beaten the Rams, Carolina was a must win.  

22 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well this is certainly a short memory.

Not really, some of us still remember the 7-9 seasons as well. The problems people have with Payton now are the same issues we’ve had for a while. 

I don’t think anyone is saying Payton is a bad coach, just that maybe he’s not the best and maybe a change of scenery could help out both sides

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Not really, some of us still remember the 7-9 seasons as well. The problems people have with Payton now are the same issues we’ve had for a while. 

I don’t think anyone is saying Payton is a bad coach, just that maybe he’s not the best and maybe a change of scenery is needed...

It might be true, but it's one road loss against a great opponent.  If Payton wins a playoff game or two this year, I doubt anyone's gonna want him gone.  That's still very much a possibility at this point, and so far Payton has done a good job this year.  He's not Bill belichick, but no one else is either.  

25 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well this is certainly a short memory.  We're 8-3 and in control of our own destiny to win the division.  I thought Kamara could have seen a few more touches, but that's not what lost us the game.  The Rams dominated up front, and our injured secondary got picked on.  Receivers doing a questionable job getting open, and Brees missed some throws when they were open.  

This was always going to be a tough game, and I feel good that we played them as well as we did with all the execution problems.  We were never gonna win out, the loss was coming at some point, we should have been prepared for it.  This Sunday is when the playoffs start for us, and we absolutely have to beat Carolina.  I fully expect Payton to go all out for this game.  It's not the end of the world yet, and after the extreme turnaround we've had this season, you gotta give Payton a chance to make the playoffs.  If we lose to Carolina, it's time to start biting the fingernails, but if we can win this game, I like our chances to win the division.  But even if we had beaten the Rams, Carolina was a must win.  

I agree with a lot of this. I think most of us expected a loss against the Rams going into the game, but now that it actually happened people are calling for Payton's head? It just seems silly to me at this point. He gives us the best chance to win right now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

We have had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL this year. We still have one of the best records and are in a great position to have a nice seed for the playoffs despite some pretty rough injuries the past few weeks. Think about it, our opponents that beat us have a combined record of 26 wins and 7 losses. In other words, all of our losses have come against some of the best in the NFL. I think we can play with anyone once we get our CB's back.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

It might be true, but it's one road loss against a great opponent.  

That’s the thing though, it’s not just the one loss against a great opponent. It’s the same issues we’ve had for years now.

If Payton wins a playoff game or two this year, I doubt anyone's gonna want him gone.  That's still very much a possibility at this point, and so far Payton has done a good job this year.  

Very true. I don’t think anyone is advocating that though. Nobody is on the “fire Payton” bandwagon cause you’d be crazy to take that stance right now. 

But what if Brees arm keeps declining the rest of the year and his status is up in the air at the end of the season and the Cowboys or someone are offering some good picks for Payton? Maybe that’s the time to make the move, and hand this young team off to a fresh set of eyes and start the rebuild fresh with a pick or two in tow.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I agree with a lot of this. I think most of us expected a loss against the Rams going into the game, but now that it actually happened people are calling for Payton's head? It just seems silly to me at this point. He gives us the best chance to win right now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I don't think anyone is advocating we cut ties with Payton right now, and it has little to do with the one game people keep referring to. This game was simply a shining example of Payton's biggest flaws that we've been complaining about for years. 

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

We have had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL this year. We still have one of the best records and are in a great position to have a nice seed for the playoffs despite some pretty rough injuries the past few weeks. Think about it, our opponents that beat us have a combined record of 26 wins and 7 losses. In other words, all of our losses have come against some of the best in the NFL. I think we can play with anyone once we get our CB's back.

I don't think anyone is denying any of that either. 

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

That’s the thing though, it’s not just the one loss against a great opponent. It’s the same issues we’ve had for years now.

The execution was so poor yesterday, I can't put all the blame on the playcalling.  There were some bad plays called, but I'm gonna be honest here, Brees was uncharacteristically bad yesterday.  He missed some wide open guys, and I personally think he should have audibled out of a couple plays he didn't.  Of course, he wasn't getting much help either.  The oline got schooled, which is incredibly disappointing and really throws a wrench into the whole gameplan.  

I know Kamara is a beast and we all want to see him get more touches, but that's not gonna work forever, and at some point somebody else is gonna have to step up and do something.

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don't think anyone is advocating we cut ties with Payton right now, and it has little to do with the one game people keep referring to. This game was simply a shining example of Payton's biggest flaws that we've been complaining about for years. 

I don't think anyone is denying any of that either. 

The problem is if we move on, the next coach will very likely have flaws that we will complain about for years as well and I'm betting there will be more flaws than we currently have. While frustrating at times, the results speak for themselves this year. We are a top 5 offense, and when healthy on defense have been very good and exceeded most of our wildest expectations. Payton definitely deserves credit for this. 

I just can't get behind this move on from Payton mindset right now, and likely won't any time soon if we are in first place in the most competitive division in the NFL.

I know Kamara is a beast and we all want to see him get more touches, but that's not gonna work forever

We don't know how it's gonna work at all because Payton hasn't tried it. -_-

at some point somebody else is gonna have to step up and do something.

Agreed. But if nobody is going to step up might as well go back to AK, waiting for someone to step up while we're losing important games and Kamara's feet are ON FIRE makes. no. sense. 

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I just can't get behind this move on from Payton mindset right now

Yeah that's what I'm saying lol.

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don’t think Payton needs to go,

18 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Nobody is on the “fire Payton” bandwagon cause you’d be crazy to take that stance right now. 

13 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don't think anyone is advocating we cut ties with Payton right now

Archived