Return to the hot seat?

Mid Iowa

12 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying lol.

It was not meant to point directly at you lol. My initial response was just a general statement regarding the coaching situation and where our team is currently at with this coaching situation. I've seen some posts stating Payton needs to go from others and it's something I can't get behind even if he does do some frustrating things from time to time.

37 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

But what if Brees arm keeps declining the rest of the year and his status is up in the air at the end of the season and the Cowboys or someone are offering some good picks for Payton? Maybe that’s the time to make the move, and hand this young team off to a fresh set of eyes and start the rebuild fresh with a pick or two in tow.

It's a hypothetical... But I'd like to hear what people think about this scenario.

Brees craps out and is either thinking about retiring or just not that good to end the season, do we shop Payton to see if we can sell high and land some picks for the next coaches rebuild?

22 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

It's a hypothetical... But I'd like to hear what people think about this scenario.

Brees craps out and is either thinking about retiring or just not that good to end the season, do we shop Payton to see if we can sell high and land some picks for the next coaches rebuild?

I'm intrigued to see if we can land Baker Mayfield in the 1st round this year. I've seen a lot of comparisons to a young Drew Brees and if he can be anything like Brees in the NFL, it may be a perfect fit for the current system we have in place. I think it would have to be a very good haul to trade him away

Can't believe im the one saying this but Payton needs to stay... The trio of Loomis, Ireland and Payton have done a great job of restocking this roster with young talent. Yes the Rams game was an off day, that happens in the NFL especially with a young depleted team.

However... Last Sunday was the first time I can remember watching Brees play a game and from start to finish he just looked old. I mean Drew played like a 40 year old QB aganist the Rams and not the Tom Brady kinda 40. I personally feel Brees decline is getting steep.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Can't believe im the one saying this but Payton needs to stay... The trio of Loomis, Ireland and Payton have done a great job of restocking this roster with young talent. Yes the Rams game was an off day, that happens in the NFL especially with a young depleted team.

However... Last Sunday was the first time I can remember watching Brees play a game and from start to finish he just looked old. I mean Drew played like a 40 year old QB aganist the Rams and not the Tom Brady kinda 40. I personally feel Brees decline is getting steep.

The only one there in my opinion that NEEDS to stay is Ireland.

Brees did look old. Even so, I don't think the playcalling helped him at all. Rams were getting pressure from drive #1. Payton didn't do much to change that. It's my major beef with Payton. His inability to adapt on the fly and change his game plan to fit the circumstances. It's like once he has his game plan set, it's set in stone. No changing it. No way no how. I think he was able to get away with it for so long because of Brees' ability to make plays. With old man Brees though, something has to change.

I didn't start this thread to say Payton needs to go, just threw it out there because I've seen several post suggesting such.

What we did see is that without a good Brees, Payton loses his mind. Brees couldn't do squat for the majority of the game, was super bouncy and would panic under pressure rather than stepping through it, and Payton had no clue what to do, so he tried it...more?

I'm also hearing that there's noone to replace him. Tell that to the Rams and their brand new coach that's turning everything into gold.

Should Payton be let go? Probably not.

Would I be upset if they do let him go? NO

Am I calling for him to be fired? NO

Would I like to see him give up playcalling and worry about the whole team the whole game? YES

Payton is a good coach, not great though. 

• 2 weeks later...

How do we all feel today? ...aside from the hangover from self medication after a completely pathetic meltdown and loss to a division rival?

Let me rephrase. How do we all feel about Payton today?

When was the last time you saw a coach totally lose his sh*t, resulting in a personal foul that ultimately ended any possible chance to win a game?

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

How do we all feel today? ...aside from the hangover from self medication after a completely pathetic meltdown and loss to a division rival?

When was the last time you saw a coach totally lose his sh*t, resulting in a personal foul that ultimately ended any possible chance to win a game?

I still feel the Saints need new life and a new direction, but I've been one of the more steadfast ones around here on that line of thinking, so that hasn't changed. 

Payton losing his cool and drawing the flag was just one nail in the coffin yesterday. His playcalling for the majority of the game was crap, again. As soon as Kamara went out, the run game was pretty much abandoned. I lost track of how many different screens he tried to call. 30+ I think lol. It was vintage Payton. Up by 7 and need to kill time? Lots of cutsey pass plays! Yup, that'll work 9_9

Obviously I'm frustrated with Payton as well after the game, but ultimately I'm still not ready to jump ship. We were on the cusp of still winning that game on the road with several things going the Falcons way yesterday. Basically, lets see what Payton can do the next couple months when things start to matter. I still like our odds to make a good run in the playoffs this year

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

It's been a terrible few days.  I can stomach the loss, but the injuries are killer.  The refs were garbage, and Payton wrecked the final few plays of the game with his silliness.  Bad throw by Brees, but he should have never called that play to begin with.

And to top it all off I couldn't get home from work this morning because Louisiana and Mississippi lose their minds with a little snow on the ground

17 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

It's been a terrible few days.  I can stomach the loss, but the injuries are killer.  The refs were garbage, and Payton wrecked the final few plays of the game with his silliness.  Bad throw by Brees, but he should have never called that play to begin with.

And to top it all off I couldn't get home from work this morning because Louisiana and Mississippi lose their minds with a little snow on the ground

3 certainty's in life...

Death, taxes and Louisiana closing roads when someone mentions the word ICE!

Archived