NFLPA Report has Chiefs ranked 29th of 32

kingseanjohn

https://nflpa.com/kansas-city-chiefs-report-card

KC-FAS-Table.png

I found this portion to be concerning:

• With the lowest rating and concerning qualitative responses, we learned that players’ key concerns are with head trainer Rick Burkholder (not the rest of the training staff, which is generally well liked).
  • Player respondents expressed beliefs/opinions that:
    • They feel discouraged from reporting their injuries
    • They do not feel they get the level of personal care that they should
    • They fear retribution for speaking up for better care

Reports like this are of interest when you consider that it's based on player responses. It could have an effect on getting free agents here.

As a longtime Union Steward, I want to know how this information was collected. It conceivably shows that Chiefs player feel comfortable stating issues where other teams are not. One obvious point is that the Training staff gets such low marks when essentially it's a one person issue. 

Not super surprised by the low grades in the more facilities oriented stuff. Arrowhead and a lot of the facilities are old. Recent remodels, sure, but remodels can only do so much. Can't create space where there is none. But that training staff score is really surprising to me. Feel like I've heard nothing but great things over the years about Burkholder and co. That one comes out of nowhere for me.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

As a longtime Union Steward, I want to know how this information was collected. It conceivably shows that Chiefs player feel comfortable stating issues where other teams are not. One obvious point is that the Training staff gets such low marks when essentially it's a one person issue. 

At the bottom it says this:

... questions were sent to every player on the 2022 team rosters asking them their opinions about their Club’s facilities, certain Club personnel/coaches, and other work-related categories, such as Club’s treatment of families and team travel (players were not asked questions about any Club other than their 2022 employer). As a result of the confidential questionnaire, 1,300 players responded. There then was a qualitative follow up by the union, which resulted in the following “report card.”

The questions called for both quantitative and qualitative answers; for example: “Grade your weight room with 1 reflecting best rating, 5 reflecting lowest rating” and “What would you change about your weight room?” The numerical ratings for each sub-category of questions were tallied and averaged. The questionnaire also sought to elicit the opinion of players on some issues that have a direct impact on the quality of life for NFL players. These qualitative responses, which are inherently subjective, were reviewed and evaluated by the union and then factored into providing an overall rating that was intended to reflect player opinions...

It sounds like they probably mailed out a questionnaire. It appears that other teams players were just as candid after peeking at a couple other teams. The Cardinals stood out with this fact:

• If players would like dinner, it will be boxed up for them, but players reported that the team will charge you via payroll deduction. This is apparently the only Club that does this.
  • Players reported that if you work out at the facility after the season is over, the team charges you for every meal eaten at the facility (again, apparently the only team in the league that does this).

46 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Not super surprised by the low grades in the more facilities oriented stuff. Arrowhead and a lot of the facilities are old. Recent remodels, sure, but remodels can only do so much. Can't create space where there is none. But that training staff score is really surprising to me. Feel like I've heard nothing but great things over the years about Burkholder and co. That one comes out of nowhere for me.

I guess it's a case of being polite in public but scrutinizing in private. I believe the survey was sent in 2022, but I can't find when exactly. I want to say I read April, but I can't find that source atm. So who was injured and dealing with Burkholder that was on the team at that time?

Mahomes, Hardman, Wharton, Fortson, CEH, etc... Could be a number of guys complaining.

20 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I wonder if Clark Hunt and Brett Veach are aware of this? (probably).

I find it rather hard to believe this pertaining to a current and recent Super Bowl winner.

Now i'm wondering who the ranked top 5 teams are.

You can view all the rankings HERE

Edited by kingseanjohn

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

At the bottom it says this:

It sounds like they probably mailed out a questionnaire. It appears that other teams players were just as candid after peeking at a couple other teams. The Cardinals stood out with this fact:

Now, I don’t know much.  But if I’m busting my tail working out, they probably have me on strict diets etc., then once the season is over you tell me you’re going to charge me for adhering to your plan?  That’s some doodoo.

OOOoooooohhhh, never have seen an F-. I never got one ANYTIME ANYWHERE.

Saints/nutrition, lucked out (+ a few others).......LOL

But actually this is demoralizing. The whole NFL knows who got what grades now. 2 recent SB wins should count for upgrades all around at Arrowhead.

Edited by mayanfootball