Former Panthers Owner Jerry Richardson dead at 86

RaidersAreOne

When he was still the owner in 2016, a friend of mine who is a fan wrote a letter expressing gratitude for a home town team in the Carolinas and appreciating the team. Jerry Richardson mailed her a handwritten letter: "[name] you are very thoughtful to share your support of our Panther organization. We probably love you more than you love us. Respectfully - Jerry Richardson".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Wasn't he a terrible person?

If you're referring to what happened within the Panthers organization with Jerry Richardson allegedly making certain remarks, which was eventually fined for, then I wouldn't say that makes him a terrible person if that's the only negative blowback that's ever come out about him. As an owner he was pretty good overall. Others have done worse (Snyder), and are still chugging along. At least when that fallout happened, he decided on the same day he was going to sell the team at the end of the season. He was never forced out. Reading various comments from Panthers fans, they recognized he had flaws, but for the most part he did a great job as the founder/owner of the Panthers. Just an outsider, but I'd tend to agree. 

RIP Big Cat.

Funny-1039.gif

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If you're referring to what happened within the Panthers organization with Jerry Richardson allegedly making certain remarks, which was eventually fined for, then I wouldn't say that makes him a terrible person if that's the only negative blowback that's ever come out about him. As an owner he was pretty good overall. Others have done worse (Snyder), and are still chugging along. At least when that fallout happened, he decided on the same day he was going to sell the team at the end of the season. He was never forced out. Reading various comments from Panthers fans, they recognized he had flaws, but for the most part he did a great job as the founder/owner of the Panthers. Just an outsider, but I'd tend to agree. 

RIP Big Cat.

Funny-1039.gif

Racism, sexual harassment, hush money oh my. Wouldn't necessarily call those "flaws."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Racism, sexual harassment, hush money oh my. Wouldn't necessarily call those "flaws."

Maybe? Same guy that hired a Hispanic head coach and handed a zillion dollars to a 22 year old black kid to lead his franchise. I would have liked to have had more information as to what transpired in regards to those allegations. But we'll probably never know. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 1:10 AM, cp0k2 said:

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Needs more context. Those buzzwords mean a lot less nowadays.

Don't know anything about the guy, but RIP.

More context as in he literally paid to settle the sexual harassments lawsuits admitting guilt on those as well as several NDAs regarding them.

Fantastic person for bringing a team to Carolina, terrible person for making a terrible work environment and probably ruining at least a few people's lives but by giving them money he is absolved of all sin because money means less than nothing to him.

Another old rich Ghoul dies, truly a sad occasion.

4 hours ago, Xmad said:

More context as in he literally paid to settle the sexual harassments lawsuits admitting guilt on those as well as several NDAs regarding them.

Fantastic person for bringing a team to Carolina, terrible person for making a terrible work environment and probably ruining at least a few people's lives but by giving them money he is absolved of all sin because money means less than nothing to him.

Another old rich Ghoul dies, truly a sad occasion.

I mean, Ray Lewis reached a financial settlement with the daughter of one of the two men who were killed in a brawl. Details will never be released. Does that make him being guilty of being connected to a murder? 

Richardson was 80 when that happened. For all we know, which is isn't much, he may have not even want to deal with the hassle of the allegations or drag his family through the rest of it at that age. Asking for more context as to what was said, when it was said, and how it was said isn't much to ask for at all before dropping the hammer on him, and claiming that his victims' lives were "ruined" by comments no one has any idea the severity of. 

I mean shoot, I'm black, and have been called some nasty things, and ain't got a dime to show for it, nor was my life ruined. Not that suffering is a competition, but I do think that speculative remark is a bit overblown without having more information. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 5