Lunatics (OVERLY Optimistic) Combine Mock

StLunatic88

Roster Moves

Al-Quadin Muhammad - Cut (obviously)

• Hes the only real cut I think we need to do right now. Others will happen as we add to the roster/cut down in the preseason

Cody Whitehair OL - 3 years $27m ($8m Reduction '23 Cap Hit)

• Im sticking with the restructure that I put together for the last mock, but just a reminder, it moves some money around from this year. Then when we cut him in 2024, it takes a bit of that cap over to that year. He is just as good of an Lineman that we will be able to find for the money that we would save. The hope is that he will be OL #4 or #5, and he is versatile enough that he could play at a few spots if we need him to. Honestly, it would be great if we add 2/3 lineman and he is forced as the ultimate Utility Lineman for a year

Jaylon Johnson CB - 5 years $80m ($8m Additional '23 Cap Hit)

• Hes the only Extension I believe is deserved at at this point. Its the same one from last mock, and is facilitated (Cap wise) with the Whitehair restructure. I know some have suggested a Mooney/Kmet/Claypool extension as well, but I just dont see how you can accurately come to common ground with those guys. Mooney probably isnt a True #1, but he probably thinks he is, and will want to be paid like it. Id rather take another year, as this offense progresses and see what he truly is to Fields. Similar with Kmet, he might just be an average TE, and I dont think we should be handing out early extensions to guys who might be better than average. We have plenty of cap space in '24 and '25 to pay these guys if they deserve it.

Equanimeous St. Brown WR - 1 year $1.25

• We all know this already happened, just recapping here. Although, the more I think about it, if he doesnt have much else offered to him, Im all about giving the same deal to N'Keal Harry as well.

Khari Blasingame FB - 2 year $6m ($2.5)

• Same as weve all been saying. Solid FB, does his job well, so keep him around. I do think there are some potential FB option in this Draft, that Id like to take a long look at. 

Josh Blackwell DB - ERFA ($1m)

• Keep cheep talent on their cheep contracts, But lets pass on giving bad players more money than they should (Mustipher)

David Montgomery RB - 3 year $24m ($5m)

• The Free Agent RB market is going to be weird. Do either of the Top 2 make it out there? The Draft is super deep, and there is a chance that Monty could just be hung out to dry in no mans land. And if that happens I think Poles throws him a lifeline. They seem to be on good terms, and Poles could use a publicity win after all the Ro stuff. This is really a 2 year deal, gets a $6m signing bonus, and basically guarantee years 1 an 2. While we get to keep continuity next to Fields, a no worse than good running game, and we can put off finding the RB of the future another few years (I feel like the Org isnt as high on Herbert)

Free Agency

Dre’Mont Jones DL - 4 years $84m ($12m Cap)

• Free Agency pool is going to be more shallow than we would like, so we need to make sure to get one of the key guys, and for a while now, its been Dre'Mont for me. The guy is just a perfect fit to what we need, he can be a great interior rusher, while also giving some support as a "Big" End in certain alignments. We overpay here, but we have to make sure to get him, especially as a young, still ascending player. (its also a low Cap hit for this year, and a jump in 2024, but we have so much space there, it doesnt really matter, Players like that more, because they are already getting the SB in year one, $40m for Dre, so the jump in salary in year 2/3 is what they usually want)

Marcus Davenport DL - 1 year $20m (Cap)

• I know he has been a source of some disagreement here lately, but this is where I think we may be spending some money this offseason. Hes one of those guys who might not see the contract that he expected with a down '22 and some more injuries. But this will allow him the chance to recoup some value while he looks to cash in in 2024. Could be with us, could be elsewhere, but we have the ability to spend big for one year, so he makes some money right now, but we arent hooked in long term. Would help change the DL instantly.

Isaiah Wynn OT- 1 year $16m (Cap)

• Another Prove-It type guy who didnt have the best 2022, but has shown that he has great production in him. A guy who has held up at LT early in his career, but struggled some this year, he is going to need to prove he can be a reliable RT going forward, as most wont have him as a blind side protector. He isnt the elite athlete, but is still good, not sure he is a long term Bear, but I think Poles would rather draft the majority of the OL over Signing them, but this is a nice middle ground/stop gap to help give a reliable floor to the OL in 2023. I also think that the other free agent RTs are going to get overpaid, without one of them being the most ideal fit the more I look into them.

Robert Woods WR - 2 years $20m ($7m)

• I just LOVE Bobby Trees, guy is a consummate professional and an elite route runner. Neither of those thing should be all that hindered long term by his injury. Speaking of, Ill say it again he is only like 16 months off of an ACL injury, he is just fully healing. He should bring some much needed veteran-ship to the WR room, and his consistency/reliability is what will help Justin Fields out more in 2023 than trying to force Mooney/Claypool into a stand alone #1 role. They might evolve into that, but this helps out everyone.  

Bobby Okereke LB - 3 year $27m ($6m)

• Im really setting myself up for disappointment here, but I just find it hard to see us not getting Okereke at this point. He would be the immediate buoy to this defense, and the leader of what Flus wants out there

Kenny Moore DB - 1 year $8m (Cap)

• I think Kenny is going to get himself cut, he made a stink about his contract before, dont think he has any guaranteed dollars left, and with the coaching switch it might be enough to get himself out. But coming off the injury, and a less than stellar year, he isnt going to be getting the contract he probably thinks he deserves. But he can return to Flus' D, try to have a big year, and cash in one more time in 2024. (also lets us see if Gordon is capable of being an outside corner, or if he needs to be the Nickle guy)

Mecole Hardman WR - 1 year $5m (Cap)

• Another Chiefs cast off WR? Yes, because I think Hardman will be another of those guys out in the Free Agent pool who dont like what they are being offered when it comes to long term contracts. Alot of these guys are going to be expecting Christian Kirk deals, but seeing as he was pretty replaceable in the Chiefs offense, I dont see anyone backing up the Brinks Truck. But he gets a nice favor from Poles, has the opportunity to be a piece in this offense, and he will think he is better than the others (Mooney/Claypool) here and can build himself a big contract for 2024. For the record, I dont think he will, but alot of competition in the WR room should be a good thing.

Derrick Nnadi DT - 2 years $6m ($3m)

• Going back to the well here, we just need some solid rotational DL guys. Nnadi is going to be a casualty of the Chiefs needing to pay some more important pieces coming off another Super Bowl. Still a useful rotational guy, just building some immediate depth, but not a long term piece here.

NFL Draft

R1: #1 – TRADE to Houston for #2 + #203 + Cleveland's 2024 1st Rounder

• Since this idea popped into my head, I just cant get away from it. #12 is too much, probably regardless of how much Indy wants to move up. But another teams 1st rounder might be much more palatable to part with for your Franchise QB. Its like giving up something you never really had. I also believe they are also in on Bryce Young regardless of how he measures. 

R1: #2 – TRADE to Indianapolis for #4 + #35 + #106 + 2024 1st Rounder

• Irsay has no clue what he is talking about when he brought up the "Alabama Guy", but the moment he meets with Will Levis, he is going to be creaming himself for him. Which is great for us. And once that happens, he will make sure they give up whatever is needed to make sure he gets that guy. And with Arizona now talking trade out, it gives us back all the leverage at #2 that we had at #1, especially if most are out on Young's size anyway.

R1: #4 – TRADE to Carolina for #9 + #39 + #147 + 2024 1st Rounder

• Is this Crazy? Yes. Is this Impossible? Probably also yes, but just indulge me on this one. Its mostly just for fun and to see what would happen. Plus we added THREE Firsts for 2024. It would be the most impressive thing ever done in an NFL Draft. But even if Arizona trades out of #3, that leaves the last QB available at 4, or if not (which I dont think they do, they need a Defensive star sooo badly for after Kyler gets back), Im projecting Carolina to fall in love with Anthony Richardson, while everyone else is OK with taking CJ Stroud if thats who is left.

R1: #9 Myles Murphy DE Clemson

• I had him in my last one, I think its comical the way people are dropping him, he has everything you would want in a DE prospect, and its all still untapped because Clemson hardly helped him out. Hes doing it all on natural skill, and when you harness that, he should be a dominant DE. You really cant ask for better traits, and nothing about him makes me worry that he wont take coaching, he could be special in this scheme. Is he Myles Garrett? No, or else he would be locked to go #1, but he wants to be, and thats the type of guy I want.

R2: #35 Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

• I think we all know about him at this point, and I honestly think its a 50/50 shot at this point that he is a 1st round pick (KC would love him if they lose either Brown or Wiley) but if he makes it to us in the 2nd, I just HAVE TO have him. I dont even need him to be starting day one (although he could) but he immediately makes our OL better, and he could be the guy at 4 different spots. I think he will be one of our bookends going forward, but might start out at Guard, just to get the best 5 Lineman on the field.

R2: #39 Keion White DL Georgia Tech

• Double dip? Absolutely. We need so much talent along the lines, probably even more so at DL than OL surprisingly. White is another guy who I could easily see going at the end of the 1st, but if he is sitting here in the 2nd for us, I want him too. Another big, long, rangy athlete. Who can also slide around on the defense, which I think we are going to continue to see more of as a staple of this defense (I think thats what they were attempting to find with Robinson last year). He is a bit more of a project than Murphy, hence the draft position, but I think he could very well be another decade-long cornerstone of this defense.

R2: #54 Joe Tippmann OL Wisconsin

• I still think JMS is the best Center in this draft, but man I am enamored with the size, power and athleticism of Tippmann. They just dont make many guys like these who can play center, and that is mouth watering as an option. He has his drawbacks, its hard to get the best leverage when youre that tall in the middle, and he needs some mechanics tweaked, but he would be the PERFECT fit to this OL. In the long run, he may end up being a Guard, but I think he would be Great there too, so its not like it would be a wasted pick. He may not be in the Starting 5 week one (I think we have overestimated Rookies on the Line alot around here) but I would expect him to make his way in the rotation during the year, and have a strangle hold on a spot (hopefully Center) for 2024. 

R3: #64 Darnell Washington TE Georgia

• This is a bit of a luxury pick, but I think he is exactly the type of guy that they want. Another Massive athlete, who will block guys out of the building. He definitely has work to do as a weapon, but if you start him out slow as the #2 TE who is basically a 6th Lineman who can leak out for a surprise reception, and hope that he grows into something reliable for Fields, thats a good risk to take. He will never be a Zero to the offense, because he can block, and he would be a redzone mismatch nightmare.

R3: #95 – TRADE from Kansas City for #103 + #135

• With one more guy out there who I really want, and I think fits in to what we are snatching up, Poles goes back to his old friends. The Chiefs could use an extra pick or two as their roster is going to be raided again after another Super Bowl. This matches up pretty well on the Trade Value Chart

R3: #95 Cedric Tillman WR Tennessee

• The forgotten WR of the 2023 Draft. Guy has great size, hands and catch radius that allows him to cover alot of ground as a receiver. He was overshadowed by Hyatt this year, but I still like Tillman better. He has alot of questions as a route runner, which is not normal for me, but I think Ill take the risk on the traits/skills that you dont usually see available at this point of the Draft. Seems like he is a bit redundant with Claypool, but lets be honest, theres a decent chance Claypool is gone after this year, I hope not, but theres a chance. 

R4: #106 Kyu Blu Kelly DB Stanford

• Hes not a complete corner at this point, but thats why hes a Day 3 Pick. He is quite the ball hawk, who has really good instincts and is currently more comfortable in Man rather than Zone, but can play in any alignment. He has a long shot #1 CB upside, but I think he could quickly be the complimentary Corner to JJ while Gordon is probably best suited in the slot. I think we have an impressive starting Defensive Backfield, but the depth falls off fast, and adding to that is closer to the top of our needs than many realize.

R5: #137 Riley Moss DB Iowa

• Could Moss be a Corner in the league? I think so, I just think his skills would make him a better Safety, facing the QB and coming up in support, with alittle more freedom to be a playmaker. He should mature into a field general, and a tone setter out there. I wish he were a better tackler, but its not like hes scared or just whiffs, should be endlessly coachable and get better in that area.

R5: #147 Jerrod Clark DL Coastal Carolina

• BIG anchor in the middle of the defense. He is strong and is hard to move, holds the line and tackles well. He has good hands and the long arms to dictate the action along the line. He does lose leverage due to his height some, and needs to refine some technique, but he is not much of a rusher, and may never be. That's OK though, we have added some of those amoeba DL guys, we will need some Big Uglies to free up all the others.

R5: #150 Wanya Morris OL Oklahoma

• I was originally alittle overzealous about Morris, off the cuff first watch I had him as a Top 75 guy. I think I watch some of his best stuff first though, as I kept digging, the holes are apparent in his game. But man he could be a darn good OG or Swing Tackle in our system, Big. long, agile, super athletic, he jumps off the screen with those traits, but then you look a little closer, he is super sloppy, and while he flashes Nastiness wee all want, he is lacking the strength right now. Great project, hope he would be the 5th/6th Lineman in a couple years

R6: #203 DJ Johnson LB Oregon

• While watching tape of Noah Sewell, Johnson kept popping out to me. He is a bit of a conundrum, but I think he could be a great fit for a project LB in this system. He wants to be a Rusher, but covers really well and most of his skills to me look like a new age LB, not an Edge Rusher. Long and rangy (dont love his bend) and what holds him back as a LB in college, focus on the backfield, should be correctable if you get him away from rushing.

R5: #220 Brenton Strange TE Penn St

• A second TE? Yes and No, he is currently going to be drafted as a TE, but I see his future as a FB/H-Back in the league, and can be a real asset in that role for this offense. Guy is a committed blocker, looks to engage on all levels, and wants to destroy guys. Just watch the Auburn game from a year back and youll see what Im talking about. His size limits him as a true TE, but out of the backfield, and lined up all over the place he could create mismatches. He has some nice raw route running, and would be a nice safety valve as he gets better. Get him in as the 3rd TE and have him shadow everything Blasingame does, he could take over by next season.

2023 Bears Roster

QB: Justin Fields, Trevor Semien

HB: David Montgomery, Khalil Herbert, Trestan Ebner, Khari Blasingame

TE: Cole Kmet, Darnell Washington, Brenton Strange

WR: Chase Claypool, Darnell Mooney, Robert Woods, Mecole Hardman, Cedric Tillman, Velus Jones, Equanimeous St. Brown

OL: Braxton Jones, Cody Whitehair, Lucas Patrick, Tevin Jenkins, Isaiah Wynn, Darnell Wright, Joe Tippmann, Alex Leatherwood, Wanya Morris

P/K: Trenton Gill, Cairo Santos

DE: Marcus Davenport, Myles Murphy, Keion Wright, Trevis Gipson, Darius Robinson

DT: Dre’Mont Jones, Derrick Nnadi, Justin Jones, Jerrod Clark

LB: Bobby Okereke, Jack Sanborn, DJ Johnson, Terrell Lewis, Sterling Weatherford

DB: Jaylon Johnson, Eddie Jackson, Jaquan Brisker, Kyler Gordon, Kenny Moore, Kindle Vildor, Jaylon Jones, Kyu Blu Kelly, Riley Moss, Michael Ojemudia, Josh Blackwell

Edited by StLunatic88

Quick note, the 3rd trade should be R1: #4

I'd be down for this, 100%.

I floated the idea of a contract for Davenport that would be able to give him a big raise/extension if he met metrics. I think he may want to bet on himself though and go the one year route.

I've been a big proponent of front-loading the big signings, but some of the contracts that are high-paying prove-it deals are basically the same thing but without having the 2nd or 3rd year to tie yourself to.

The idea of Jones - Tippmann - Jenkins - Wright being the young core of an offense - only needing to add one more player to grow with - is enticing as hell. That is a lot of natural ability and strength to get after DL.

I feel like Moss is a late 3rd to mid 4th guy, but agree he can play CB. I like his aggressiveness so he can play either.

Washington and Kmet would be a top duo potentially for TEs.

Tillman has a ton of tools if he falls that far. I kind of get James Jones vibes from him when I watch him.

Love seeing a real DL. If Flus and Willaims can't get pressure with that group, then get rid of them.

idk man, seems pretty optimistic...

all kidding aside, my biggest worry with murphy is the same as LVN to an extent - why do we look at them like "if they just had proper technique they would be dominate?" dude was in school for 3 years, and i get that he has all the physical traits that you want, but did clemson not teach him actual football technique or did they try and he was like "nah, imma just school this dude how i want." i like my pass rushers how i like my WR - technicians, because once the physical skills diminish or dont work, there needs to be something to fall back on. not saying he can't be taught, but i just wonder where it's been for 3 years. i like the rest of your picks. i think wright would be best as a 5T in a 3-4, but i think Burton from wisconsin would be a perfect 1T next to jones. 

as for FA, rumors out of the combine is jones is looking for $60-70M, so $84 might be too high, but he's a top target for me. i wouldn't touch davenport at all, dude is either injured or not producing when he's not. i know it's a 1 year deal so it doesn't really hurt us, but i'd rather allocate it elsewhere. same with wynn, i think if we're gonna spend money, i'd rather utilize our massive cap space to our advantage, like a McGlinchey and super front load his deal with smaller hits in future years - let's take advantage now. like the rest of the FAs, at this point we need capable starters - similar to buffalo at the beginning of their rebuild (poyer, beasley, brown, etc)

would cream my pants if we ended up with 4 1st next year though.

Just now, HuskieBear said:

idk man, seems pretty optimistic...

all kidding aside, my biggest worry with murphy is the same as LVN to an extent - why do we look at them like "if they just had proper technique they would be dominate?" dude was in school for 3 years, and i get that he has all the physical traits that you want, but did clemson not teach him actual football technique or did they try and he was like "nah, imma just school this dude how i want." i like my pass rushers how i like my WR - technicians, because once the physical skills diminish or dont work, there needs to be something to fall back on. not saying he can't be taught, but i just wonder where it's been for 3 years. i like the rest of your picks. i think wright would be best as a 5T in a 3-4, but i think Burton from wisconsin would be a perfect 1T next to jones. 

as for FA, rumors out of the combine is jones is looking for $60-70M, so $84 might be too high, but he's a top target for me. i wouldn't touch davenport at all, dude is either injured or not producing when he's not. i know it's a 1 year deal so it doesn't really hurt us, but i'd rather allocate it elsewhere. same with wynn, i think if we're gonna spend money, i'd rather utilize our massive cap space to our advantage, like a McGlinchey and super front load his deal with smaller hits in future years - let's take advantage now. like the rest of the FAs, at this point we need capable starters - similar to buffalo at the beginning of their rebuild (poyer, beasley, brown, etc)

would cream my pants if we ended up with 4 1st next year though.

With how pathetic the Bears DL is currently, $14 mil more than what someone else would pay over 4 years is nothing to concern me. That's $3.5 mil per year, basically Leatherwood's contract. I'd pay another Leatherwood to ensure I got a damn good DT.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Roster Moves

Al-Quadin Muhammad - Cut (obviously)

• Hes the only real cut I think we need to do right now. Others will happen as we add to the roster/cut down in the preseason

Cody Whitehair OL - 3 years $27m ($8m Reduction '23 Cap Hit)

• Im sticking with the restructure that I put together for the last mock, but just a reminder, it moves some money around from this year. Then when we cut him in 2024, it takes a bit of that cap over to that year. He is just as good of an Lineman that we will be able to find for the money that we would save. The hope is that he will be OL #4 or #5, and he is versatile enough that he could play at a few spots if we need him to. Honestly, it would be great if we add 2/3 lineman and he is forced as the ultimate Utility Lineman for a year

Jaylon Johnson CB - 5 years $80m ($8m Additional '23 Cap Hit)

• Hes the only Extension I believe is deserved at at this point. Its the same one from last mock, and is facilitated (Cap wise) with the Whitehair restructure. I know some have suggested a Mooney/Kmet/Claypool extension as well, but I just dont see how you can accurately come to common ground with those guys. Mooney probably isnt a True #1, but he probably thinks he is, and will want to be paid like it. Id rather take another year, as this offense progresses and see what he truly is to Fields. Similar with Kmet, he might just be an average TE, and I dont think we should be handing out early extensions to guys who might be better than average. We have plenty of cap space in '24 and '25 to pay these guys if they deserve it.

Equanimeous St. Brown WR - 1 year $1.25

• We all know this already happened, just recapping here. Although, the more I think about it, if he doesnt have much else offered to him, Im all about giving the same deal to N'Keal Harry as well.

Khari Blasingame FB - 2 year $6m ($2.5)

• Same as weve all been saying. Solid FB, does his job well, so keep him around. I do think there are some potential FB option in this Draft, that Id like to take a long look at. 

Josh Blackwell DB - ERFA ($1m)

• Keep cheep talent on their cheep contracts, But lets pass on giving bad players more money than they should (Mustipher)

David Montgomery RB - 3 year $24m ($5m)

• The Free Agent RB market is going to be weird. Do either of the Top 2 make it out there? The Draft is super deep, and there is a chance that Monty could just be hung out to dry in no mans land. And if that happens I think Poles throws him a lifeline. They seem to be on good terms, and Poles could use a publicity win after all the Ro stuff. This is really a 2 year deal, gets a $6m signing bonus, and basically guarantee years 1 an 2. While we get to keep continuity next to Fields, a no worse than good running game, and we can put off finding the RB of the future another few years (I feel like the Org isnt as high on Herbert)

Free Agency

Dre’Mont Jones DL - 4 years $84m ($12m Cap)

• Free Agency pool is going to be more shallow than we would like, so we need to make sure to get one of the key guys, and for a while now, its been Dre'Mont for me. The guy is just a perfect fit to what we need, he can be a great interior rusher, while also giving some support as a "Big" End in certain alignments. We overpay here, but we have to make sure to get him, especially as a young, still ascending player. (its also a low Cap hit for this year, and a jump in 2024, but we have so much space there, it doesnt really matter, Players like that more, because they are already getting the SB in year one, $40m for Dre, so the jump in salary in year 2/3 is what they usually want)

Marcus Davenport DL - 1 year $20m (Cap)

• I know he has been a source of some disagreement here lately, but this is where I think we may be spending some money this offseason. Hes one of those guys who might not see the contract that he expected with a down '22 and some more injuries. But this will allow him the chance to recoup some value while he looks to cash in in 2024. Could be with us, could be elsewhere, but we have the ability to spend big for one year, so he makes some money right now, but we arent hooked in long term. Would help change the DL instantly.

Isaiah Wynn OT- 1 year $16m (Cap)

• Another Prove-It type guy who didnt have the best 2022, but has shown that he has great production in him. A guy who has held up at LT early in his career, but struggled some this year, he is going to need to prove he can be a reliable RT going forward, as most wont have him as a blind side protector. He isnt the elite athlete, but is still good, not sure he is a long term Bear, but I think Poles would rather draft the majority of the OL over Signing them, but this is a nice middle ground/stop gap to help give a reliable floor to the OL in 2023. I also think that the other free agent RTs are going to get overpaid, without one of them being the most ideal fit the more I look into them.

Robert Woods WR - 2 years $20m ($7m)

• I just LOVE Bobby Trees, guy is a consummate professional and an elite route runner. Neither of those thing should be all that hindered long term by his injury. Speaking of, Ill say it again he is only like 16 months off of an ACL injury, he is just fully healing. He should bring some much needed veteran-ship to the WR room, and his consistency/reliability is what will help Justin Fields out more in 2023 than trying to force Mooney/Claypool into a stand alone #1 role. They might evolve into that, but this helps out everyone.  

Bobby Okereke LB - 3 year $27m ($6m)

• Im really setting myself up for disappointment here, but I just find it hard to see us not getting Okereke at this point. He would be the immediate buoy to this defense, and the leader of what Flus wants out there

Kenny Moore DB - 1 year $8m (Cap)

• I think Kenny is going to get himself cut, he made a stink about his contract before, dont think he has any guaranteed dollars left, and with the coaching switch it might be enough to get himself out. But coming off the injury, and a less than stellar year, he isnt going to be getting the contract he probably thinks he deserves. But he can return to Flus' D, try to have a big year, and cash in one more time in 2024. (also lets us see if Gordon is capable of being an outside corner, or if he needs to be the Nickle guy)

Mecole Hardman WR - 1 year $5m (Cap)

• Another Chiefs cast off WR? Yes, because I think Hardman will be another of those guys out in the Free Agent pool who dont like what they are being offered when it comes to long term contracts. Alot of these guys are going to be expecting Christian Kirk deals, but seeing as he was pretty replaceable in the Chiefs offense, I dont see anyone backing up the Brinks Truck. But he gets a nice favor from Poles, has the opportunity to be a piece in this offense, and he will think he is better than the others (Mooney/Claypool) here and can build himself a big contract for 2024. For the record, I dont think he will, but alot of competition in the WR room should be a good thing.

Derrick Nnadi DT - 2 years $6m ($3m)

• Going back to the well here, we just need some solid rotational DL guys. Nnadi is going to be a casualty of the Chiefs needing to pay some more important pieces coming off another Super Bowl. Still a useful rotational guy, just building some immediate depth, but not a long term piece here.

NFL Draft

R1: #1 – TRADE to Houston for #2 + #203 + Cleveland's 2024 1st Rounder

• Since this idea popped into my head, I just cant get away from it. #12 is too much, probably regardless of how much Indy wants to move up. But another teams 1st rounder might be much more palatable to part with for your Franchise QB. Its like giving up something you never really had. I also believe they are also in on Bryce Young regardless of how he measures. 

R1: #2 – TRADE to Indianapolis for #4 + #35 + #106 + 2024 1st Rounder

• Irsay has no clue what he is talking about when he brought up the "Alabama Guy", but the moment he meets with Will Levis, he is going to be creaming himself for him. Which is great for us. And once that happens, he will make sure they give up whatever is needed to make sure he gets that guy. And with Arizona now talking trade out, it gives us back all the leverage at #2 that we had at #1, especially if most are out on Young's size anyway.

R1: #2 – TRADE to Carolina for #9 + #39 + #147 + 2024 1st Rounder

• Is this Crazy? Yes. Is this Impossible? Probably also yes, but just indulge me on this one. Its mostly just for fun and to see what would happen. Plus we added THREE Firsts for 2024. It would be the most impressive thing ever done in an NFL Draft. But even if Arizona trades out of #3, that leaves the last QB available at 4, or if not (which I dont think they do, they need a Defensive star sooo badly for after Kyler gets back), Im projecting Carolina to fall in love with Anthony Richardson, while everyone else is OK with taking CJ Stroud if thats who is left.

R1: #9 Myles Murphy DE Clemson

• I had him in my last one, I think its comical the way people are dropping him, he has everything you would want in a DE prospect, and its all still untapped because Clemson hardly helped him out. Hes doing it all on natural skill, and when you harness that, he should be a dominant DE. You really cant ask for better traits, and nothing about him makes me worry that he wont take coaching, he could be special in this scheme. Is he Myles Garrett? No, or else he would be locked to go #1, but he wants to be, and thats the type of guy I want.

R2: #35 Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

• I think we all know about him at this point, and I honestly think its a 50/50 shot at this point that he is a 1st round pick (KC would love him if they lose either Brown or Wiley) but if he makes it to us in the 2nd, I just HAVE TO have him. I dont even need him to be starting day one (although he could) but he immediately makes our OL better, and he could be the guy at 4 different spots. I think he will be one of our bookends going forward, but might start out at Guard, just to get the best 5 Lineman on the field.

R2: #39 Keion White DL Georgia Tech

• Double dip? Absolutely. We need so much talent along the lines, probably even more so at DL than OL surprisingly. White is another guy who I could easily see going at the end of the 1st, but if he is sitting here in the 2nd for us, I want him too. Another big, long, rangy athlete. Who can also slide around on the defense, which I think we are going to continue to see more of as a staple of this defense (I think thats what they were attempting to find with Robinson last year). He is a bit more of a project than Murphy, hence the draft position, but I think he could very well be another decade-long cornerstone of this defense.

R2: #54 Joe Tippmann OL Wisconsin

• I still think JMS is the best Center in this draft, but man I am enamored with the size, power and athleticism of Tippmann. They just dont make many guys like these who can play center, and that is mouth watering as an option. He has his drawbacks, its hard to get the best leverage when youre that tall in the middle, and he needs some mechanics tweaked, but he would be the PERFECT fit to this OL. In the long run, he may end up being a Guard, but I think he would be Great there too, so its not like it would be a wasted pick. He may not be in the Starting 5 week one (I think we have overestimated Rookies on the Line alot around here) but I would expect him to make his way in the rotation during the year, and have a strangle hold on a spot (hopefully Center) for 2024. 

R3: #64 Darnell Washington TE Georgia

• This is a bit of a luxury pick, but I think he is exactly the type of guy that they want. Another Massive athlete, who will block guys out of the building. He definitely has work to do as a weapon, but if you start him out slow as the #2 TE who is basically a 6th Lineman who can leak out for a surprise reception, and hope that he grows into something reliable for Fields, thats a good risk to take. He will never be a Zero to the offense, because he can block, and he would be a redzone mismatch nightmare.

R3: #95 – TRADE from Kansas City for #103 + #135

• With one more guy out there who I really want, and I think fits in to what we are snatching up, Poles goes back to his old friends. The Chiefs could use an extra pick or two as their roster is going to be raided again after another Super Bowl. This matches up pretty well on the Trade Value Chart

R3: #95 Cedric Tillman WR Tennessee

• The forgotten WR of the 2023 Draft. Guy has great size, hands and catch radius that allows him to cover alot of ground as a receiver. He was overshadowed by Hyatt this year, but I still like Tillman better. He has alot of questions as a route runner, which is not normal for me, but I think Ill take the risk on the traits/skills that you dont usually see available at this point of the Draft. Seems like he is a bit redundant with Claypool, but lets be honest, theres a decent chance Claypool is gone after this year, I hope not, but theres a chance. 

R4: #106 Kyu Blu Kelly DB Stanford

• Hes not a complete corner at this point, but thats why hes a Day 3 Pick. He is quite the ball hawk, who has really good instincts and is currently more comfortable in Man rather than Zone, but can play in any alignment. He has a long shot #1 CB upside, but I think he could quickly be the complimentary Corner to JJ while Gordon is probably best suited in the slot. I think we have an impressive starting Defensive Backfield, but the depth falls off fast, and adding to that is closer to the top of our needs than many realize.

R5: #137 Riley Moss DB Iowa

• Could Moss be a Corner in the league? I think so, I just think his skills would make him a better Safety, facing the QB and coming up in support, with alittle more freedom to be a playmaker. He should mature into a field general, and a tone setter out there. I wish he were a better tackler, but its not like hes scared or just whiffs, should be endlessly coachable and get better in that area.

R5: #147 Jerrod Clark DL Coastal Carolina

• BIG anchor in the middle of the defense. He is strong and is hard to move, holds the line and tackles well. He has good hands and the long arms to dictate the action along the line. He does lose leverage due to his height some, and needs to refine some technique, but he is not much of a rusher, and may never be. That's OK though, we have added some of those amoeba DL guys, we will need some Big Uglies to free up all the others.

R5: #150 Wanya Morris OL Oklahoma

• I was originally alittle overzealous about Morris, off the cuff first watch I had him as a Top 75 guy. I think I watch some of his best stuff first though, as I kept digging, the holes are apparent in his game. But man he could be a darn good OG or Swing Tackle in our system, Big. long, agile, super athletic, he jumps off the screen with those traits, but then you look a little closer, he is super sloppy, and while he flashes Nastiness wee all want, he is lacking the strength right now. Great project, hope he would be the 5th/6th Lineman in a couple years

R6: #203 DJ Johnson LB Oregon

• While watching tape of Noah Sewell, Johnson kept popping out to me. He is a bit of a conundrum, but I think he could be a great fit for a project LB in this system. He wants to be a Rusher, but covers really well and most of his skills to me look like a new age LB, not an Edge Rusher. Long and rangy (dont love his bend) and what holds him back as a LB in college, focus on the backfield, should be correctable if you get him away from rushing.

R5: #220 Brenton Strange TE Penn St

• A second TE? Yes and No, he is currently going to be drafted as a TE, but I see his future as a FB/H-Back in the league, and can be a real asset in that role for this offense. Guy is a committed blocker, looks to engage on all levels, and wants to destroy guys. Just watch the Auburn game from a year back and youll see what Im talking about. His size limits him as a true TE, but out of the backfield, and lined up all over the place he could create mismatches. He has some nice raw route running, and would be a nice safety valve as he gets better. Get him in as the 3rd TE and have him shadow everything Blasingame does, he could take over by next season.

2023 Bears Roster

QB: Justin Fields, Trevor Semien

HB: David Montgomery, Khalil Herbert, Trestan Ebner, Khari Blasingame

TE: Cole Kmet, Darnell Washington, Brenton Strange

WR: Chase Claypool, Darnell Mooney, Robert Woods, Mecole Hardman, Cedric Tillman, Velus Jones, Equanimeous St. Brown

OL: Braxton Jones, Cody Whitehair, Lucas Patrick, Tevin Jenkins, Isaiah Wynn, Darnell Wright, Joe Tippmann, Alex Leatherwood, Wanya Morris

P/K: Trenton Gill, Cairo Santos

DE: Marcus Davenport, Myles Murphy, Keion Wright, Trevis Gipson, Darius Robinson

DT: Dre’Mont Jones, Derrick Nnadi, Justin Jones, Jerrod Clark

LB: Bobby Okereke, Jack Sanborn, DJ Johnson, Terrell Lewis, Sterling Weatherford

DB: Jaylon Johnson, Eddie Jackson, Jaquan Brisker, Kyler Gordon, Kenny Moore, Kindle Vildor, Jaylon Jones, Kyu Blu Kelly, Riley Moss, Michael Ojemudia, Josh Blackwell

I wouldn't be mad at this at all. I can stomach Davenport on a 1 year prove it deal. LOVE the draft (though you have acknowledged that it is unlikely). I would be over the moon if our off season went this way.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Quick note, the 3rd trade should be R1: #4

Good Catch, Thanks

I floated the idea of a contract for Davenport that would be able to give him a big raise/extension if he met metrics. I think he may want to bet on himself though and go the one year route.

I've been a big proponent of front-loading the big signings, but some of the contracts that are high-paying prove-it deals are basically the same thing but without having the 2nd or 3rd year to tie yourself to.

Yea, I think alot of these guys have gotten wise on the incentive deals/the Team Option deals. Unless they are on their 3rd/4th deal they dont need to do that anymore. But we get him in here, let him cook, and if he is Dominant, we can always Tag him for 2024 to keep the asset. Or he goes off and makes some money elsewhere, especially if who else we bring in have grown and are expected to take over his starting spot.

My point with a few of these signings are, we arent going to solve everything this year for the next half decade. Some of these are going to be short term (some very short) fixes to try to push this roster to acceptable, while we build the true base of the franchise through the draft

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Good Catch, Thanks

Yea, I think alot of these guys have gotten wise on the incentive deals/the Team Option deals. Unless they are on their 3rd/4th deal they dont need to do that anymore. But we get him in here, let him cook, and if he is Dominant, we can always Tag him for 2024 to keep the asset. Or he goes off and makes some money elsewhere, especially if who else we bring in have grown and are expected to take over his starting spot.

My point with a few of these signings are, we arent going to solve everything this year for the next half decade. Some of these are going to be short term (some very short) fixes to try to push this roster to acceptable, while we build the true base of the franchise through the draft

Putting together a small mock and this is a key part of it.

Even if you have a really good player for 1-2 years, maybe they mentor another physically talented prospect to help them develop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

my biggest worry with murphy is the same as LVN to an extent - why do we look at them like "if they just had proper technique they would be dominate?" dude was in school for 3 years, and i get that he has all the physical traits that you want, but did clemson not teach him actual football technique or did they try and he was like "nah, imma just school this dude how i want."

Everyone's "3 years" of college arent the same. I have made it known multiple times, from what Ive heard, the Clemson defense, is very basic and they just compile recruits and hope that they just "out athlete" the opposition. The coaching they are getting (especially along the DL) these days is very minimal, and when they are making splash plays, its all on their natural athleticism and raw instincts. I dont think Murphy or Bresee have been thought much outside of the basics past their High School coaches (yes I am very down on Deebo and his staff). Does that mean that Murphy is going to make a massive jump? No, but it means that possibility is in there. He shows the natural instincts and raw traits that you want, and he is basically a blank slate. The only think that gave me a question about Murphy lately is his unusually small hands, which is more of a curiosity then anything (hes not a QB/RB/WR)

Van Ness is something completely different. He wasnt even really a starter in College. I dont have as much knowledge about Iowa as I do Clemson, but it does surprise me. Why couldnt he get more reps, especially pass rush reps, wich as much as Iowa's defense was on the field? I love his traits, I think he would do great here, but it would be getting close to his 2nd contract that we would ever really see the returns on that project. The fact that some are pushing him close to the Top 10 just has be face palming, His Late 1st grade had all this Combine stuff built in.

i wouldn't touch davenport at all, dude is either injured or not producing when he's not. i know it's a 1 year deal so it doesn't really hurt us, but i'd rather allocate it elsewhere.

There arent alot of places to spend $20m in this Free Agent class

same with wynn, i think if we're gonna spend money, i'd rather utilize our massive cap space to our advantage, like a McGlinchey and super front load his deal with smaller hits in future years - let's take advantage now. like the rest of the FAs

I like McGlinchey less and less when I watch him. Hes a product of the system, not a guy who makes the system work. (like how Joe Noteboom got paid last year). I think McGary ends up back in Atlanta (they have the cap space) and the more I look at Taylor, I still like him, but he doesnt run block well enough for a RT, especially for a team who is going to put an emphasis on running the ball.

I think Poles will be looking to build this roster in the long term through the draft, so short deals are much more likely. You dont build your franchise on the backs of other teams cast-offs. They absolutely can be good-to-great complimentary pieces, but thats usually all.

Edited by StLunatic88

With how pathetic the Bears DL is currently, $14 mil more than what someone else would pay over 4 years is nothing to concern me. That's $3.5 mil per year, basically Leatherwood's contract. I'd pay another Leatherwood to ensure I got a damn good DT.

Bingo, if we want one of the best Free Agents out there, we are going to have to overpay to make sure they come here (i.e. Christian Kirk) Now we cant do that for all of them, so one key free agent, possibly one or two others on shorter deals, thats about it.

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Van Ness is something completely different. He wasnt even really a starter in College. I dont have as much knowledge about Iowa as I do Clemson, but it does surprise me. Why couldnt he get more reps, especially pass rush reps, wich as much as Iowa's defense was on the field?

i won't pretend like i know anything about anything. that being said, have you seen the coaching ****-show at iowa. Ferentz is basically a legacy and iowa wont fire him, but he makes some VERY questionable decisions (like keeping his son as OC all last year and in the future when they were putting up like, 8 points a game)

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I like McGlinchey less and less when I watch him. Hes a product of the system, not a guy who makes the system work.

ftr, i said someone like mcglinchey, maybe not necessarily him. BUT as far as being a product of the system...we're running the same system. Chris Morgan grew up coaching in the shanahan system, and our zone run blocking scheme, while definitely not at the same level, is the same base concept

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i won't pretend like i know anything about anything. that being said, have you seen the coaching ****-show at iowa. Ferentz is basically a legacy and iowa wont fire him, but he makes some VERY questionable decisions (like keeping his son as OC all last year and in the future when they were putting up like, 8 points a game)

Hey, like I said, I dont know Iowa, its just a question you have to ask. It may be as simple as they are bad, but its something you have to figure out. It doesnt change that I see a very raw player when he is out there. I like what hes got, just Like I like what Murphy's got, they are both projects, I just see Murphy as a bit safer project (higher floor) with pretty similar ceilings

5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

ftr, i said someone like mcglinchey, maybe not necessarily him. BUT as far as being a product of the system...we're running the same system. Chris Morgan grew up coaching in the shanahan system, and our zone run blocking scheme, while definitely not at the same level, is the same base concept

Yea, thats my point, the system Made him. He isnt going to come here (to a much lesser OL and Offensive system right now) and pull us all up. Hes more likely to be pulled down by us. If it was Trent Williams, he pulls us up, and Im not out here looking to pay someone (long term) that needs to be supported by the system. We can draft guys to do that.

If McGlinchey (or any of these guys) are open to a 1 year deal, Id take any of them. But when I look around, Isaiah Wynn is the best and most likely guy who would take that one year deal due to the situation he is in.

Edited by StLunatic88

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Van Ness is something completely different. He wasnt even really a starter in College. I dont have as much knowledge about Iowa as I do Clemson, but it does surprise me. Why couldnt he get more reps, especially pass rush reps, wich as much as Iowa's defense was on the field? I love his traits, I think he would do great here, but it would be getting close to his 2nd contract that we would ever really see the returns on that project. The fact that some are pushing him close to the Top 10 just has be face palming, His Late 1st grade had all this Combine stuff built in.

I did watch a fair bit of Iowa but I THINK I remember him being the 2nd highest on the DL in snap count. They don't rotate LBs but seem to have a fair bit of talent on the DL that can at least do one thing well, and they had to jump him from EDGE to DT a lot when there were injuries. Still, 40ish pressures while only being on the field half the time should give the staff hope that they can better utilize him and train him up.

• Like 1

I like it overall, a few things I'd comment on:

FA:

3t Jones: Dude is good-great gap penetration, but he's horrific against the run. Now I've seen Corey Wooten mention that getting gap penetration is basically all that matters (and he loves Calijah Kancey despite similar concerns) so take my critique with a grain of salt....

DE: Davenport: I like the idea of putting him on a 1year deal. I'd have been hesitant to do a 3 year with him. Good work.

Draft:

DE-Murphy: I don't like this pick. The comparison for him shouldn't be Myles Garret, it should be Jadevon Clowney. Uber athletic guy who never comes close to living up to the athletic potential. I think his floor is decently high on that athletic potential, but I have very very little faith he's going to live up to his draft status.  I'd rather grab Tyree Wilson-EDG, Paris Johnson-LT, Broderick Jones-RT, Skoronski-OG, JSN-WR, Hyatt-WR, or Witherspoon-CB over Murphy.

OT(RT?): Wright: Love this pick. He's the last of the 3 tackles I'd draft as an immediate starter on our OL. And he was "the best OT" Will Anderson said he faced.

OC: Tippman: LOVE this pick. This guy is the upside shot on Center, and I think your valuation of him is dead on in that he goes by the end of the 2nd.

TE: Washington: LOVE this pick. He's a low volume receiving target, but holy hell is he a monster blocker as the in line guy. This would also help solve our  receiving options problem since we could run douuble TE sets with him and kmet on the field. It's a guy I've been trying more and more to work into my mocks as well..... Whether he's still on the board at this point however, is a bit questionable to me.

The rest of your list are mostly guys I'm not very impressed by or know much about..... Lone exception is Riley Moss-CB. I love that pick as well. Kind of shocked he's that low on most draft boards, too..... good size, great athleticism, and tons of ball production in college. Just a great value pick that late.

I like it aside from Murphy and some of the free agency money. I can see Davenport going somewhere for a year or two, but at $20M? That seems high. Maybe 2 years $30M? Speaking of high, I doubt Jones needs to be given $21M a year. That almost makes him a top 3 paid DT and he isn't that good. I think 4 years $64M is more like what he'll get. I'm also not a Murphy fan. 

Otherwise, thumbs up for creativity