POST COMBINE: 10 Players...

mwalker

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I know I have my Gonzales take but woah. Need to hear this one. 

Just a much better athlete than player IMO.  Not a fan of those types, at least not early.  If he was being projected as a 3rd rounder, I wouldnt care.   1st round?  Seen too many PAC 10 players like him over the years go fish white and belly up.

Not saying he will suck, but again...Eli Apple 2.0.    

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Just a much better athlete than player IMO.  Not a fan of those types, at least not early.  If he was being projected as a 3rd rounder, I wouldnt care.   1st round?  Seen too many PAC 10 players like him over the years go fish white and belly up.

Not saying he will suck, but again...Eli Apple 2.0.    

He's a track athlete. These guys are too, but they know how to ball.

That's the difference. You're effectively drafting a guy at the highest levels best sport is track playing against guys who best sport is football. 

That's all it is.

#1 - E.Forbes

#2 Cam Smith

Patrick can mentor these guys while he enjoys some of his best seasons with our front helping out of course

#3 Darnell Wright/Dawan Jones 

thats how the draft starts for us. Maybe trade down a bit if he will be there and get more picks later.  Still hope they trade Mitch and get Rd5 pick.

Edited by 3rivers

1 hour ago, Big Snack said:

Actually I think that's exactly what that says lol. I'm much more a witherspoon fan than Gonzalez but I do think more of him than apple

Ive been wrong about alot players, so he obviously could be better than I expect.   I didnt like Eli Apple coming out, and while I could be wrong about Gonzales, I get a similar feeling about him.    Just not feeling him as a first round pick.

Doesn't help than I dont trust Tomlin (a former DB coach) and other staff to coach up guys.    If we draft a CB, I dont want someone who needs a ton of coaching up, and I feel like Gonzales would need that to have a chance at thriving.

The worrisome thing about Gonzalez is that he did not have much in the way of ball skills until this year.  I think he would be very good in the defense that the Steelers play.  Lots of zone and off man.  I think he could have issues with any press man.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 8:14 PM, jebrick said:

The worrisome thing about Gonzalez is that he did not have much in the way of ball skills until this year.  I think he would be very good in the defense that the Steelers play.  Lots of zone and off man.  I think he could have issues with any press man.

So, I read somewhere recently...or maybe it was in a video, but the Steelers' D was 7th highest in the NFL, in playing Cover-0, Cover-1, and Cover-2.  I think the days of believing that the Steelers play mostly zone, are gone.

And that said, Press-man seems to be the coverage Gonzalez excels at more than any other, and according the video of Steven Smith breaking down Gonzalez' traits, he actually believes zone is his bigger weakness...

Look, I'm no coach, and have no background in Defensive units and systems, etc., but when watching the highlights of all these CBs, I gotta be honest, I LOVE the way Gonzales tackles. He's pretty physical, but he also seems to get a lot of tackles, even on RBs, making them lose ground, be he 'pulls' them back, or pushes back...

IDK, I'd be pretty happy with Gonzalez, but I'd also be okay with JPJ.  All that said, I do believe there are potential CB1s and CB2s that will be found through the end of Day 2, but what we need is a good Slot CB, so I'm gonna steal some guys from the OPs list, but I'm adding a few CBs that I'd love to see one of get selected. One of particulr note is Garrett Williams.  He didn;t test with a blazing 40, but man, when watching his highlights, the guy just looks amazingly fast. 

The one WR I'd be okay with in the 1st would be Jordan Addison, thanks to his nearly 1600 yds and 17 TDs, as Pickett's primary target during Pickett's Senior season in 2021...that's some decent chemistry, right there...

OT Broderick Jones

OT Dawand Jones

OC J.Michael-Schmitz

WR Jordan Addison

DT Mazi Smith   LB Nolan Smith

DT Keanu Benton

LB Jack Campbell

CB Garrett Williams

CB Clark Phillips III

CB Tre'Vius Hodges Tomlinson

EDIT:  My goodness...what am I thinking?  How did I forget Nolan Smith, my favorite prospect?  To me, he's 'swiss-army-knife' that can be used in any number of packages in any number of positions.  I don't care if he's 8-10lbs too light to be an Edge--he can do so much more than that.  He's athletic enough to play that 'Big-Nickel' role, we can line him up outside, inside, on the line, or dropped back, because yes, I think he's that talented, and if the Ravens get their mitts on him, I may very cry.

SOOO....I'm swapping out Mazi Smith.  Not because I don't want him; I do, but I think Benton is a little bit more versatile...

Edited by Ward4HOF

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, I read somewhere recently...or maybe it was in a video, but the Steelers' D was 7th highest in the NFL, in playing Cover-0, Cover-1, and Cover-2.  I think the days of believing that the Steelers play mostly zone, are gone.

but they do not play press man often.  I would bet they are one of the lowest in the NFL for playing press man.

I think Gonzalez excels at off -man coverage.

Edited by jebrick

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

but they do not play press man often.  I would bet they are one of the lowest in the NFL for playing press man.

They were about 12th in playing press man IIRC. They did a good amount of press and bail. 

10 players is too hard. I can narrow it down to a few for each round. Obviously, it will vary depending on who is selected in the previous rounds.

Round 1: 

B. Jones/P. Johnson, Cam Smith/K. Ringo, J. Carter (will he fall?)

Round 2:

T. Simpson/D. Sanders, D. Jones, JM Schmitz, L. Musgrave, JL Skinner, 

Round 3:

J. Campbell, E. Ricks, Christopher Smith II, M. Smith

Round 4:

K. Benton, D. Overshown, Z. Harrison, 

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Well, as mentioned, I'm far from an expert, nor do I tally the stats...

Regardless, it's a moot point--Gonzalez will be gone in the top 10, as will, likely, Witherspoon.  I'd rather they not spend a 1st on CB anyway, but I admit, I like some of the options that would be present...in a way, I guess I'm saying I'd like the player, as I like JPJ, Forbes, Ringo, or Cam Smith for us, but I'm not keen on spending a 1st on CB, since this is such a deep class, IMO, and I think we get 2 good years out of Peterson, so grab a slot guy this year, and a boundary Corner next year, but if they double dip, or find a decent slot guy in FA, or from someone who's cut after the draft, that would be fine, as well, I guess... 

7 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

10 players is too hard. I can narrow it down to a few for each round. Obviously, it will vary depending on who is selected in the previous rounds.

Round 1: 

B. Jones/P. Johnson, Cam Smith/K. Ringo, J. Carter (will he fall?)

Round 2:

T. Simpson/D. Sanders, D. Jones, JM Schmitz, L. Musgrave, JL Skinner, 

Round 3:

J. Campbell, E. Ricks, Christopher Smith II, M. Smith

Round 4:

K. Benton, D. Overshown, Z. Harrison, 

Those are all good selections, but I don't see Benton making it to Day 3, nor Campbell or Smith to the 3rd, but there are always unexpected drops.  Would you 'be mad' at Smith or Campbell at 49?

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

Those are all good selections, but I don't see Benton making it to Day 3, nor Campbell or Smith to the 3rd, but there are always unexpected drops.  Would you 'be mad' at Smith or Campbell at 49?

Yes and no. It's always difficult to judge when a player "should" be drafted. Plus, it is impossible at times to know what the Steelers think of a player. For example, It's not out of the realm of possibility that the Steelers could take Simpson at 17. I would be a bit ticked off if that happened with Jones/Johnson still on the board, but would understand if they were off the board, and there was no one else they liked better.

At 49, there are just too many variables and unknowns to really have a good idea who they might take, and at that point my level of disappointment diminishes substantially. Depending on which big board you prefer, Mazi Smith could be a 1st rounder, and Broderick Jones could fall to the 2nd round. So, it's all really a crapshoot, IMO. This season, it seems to me OT and CB are the top needs, with OT higher since they picked up Peterson. DT is a need as well with Cam's age, but not as critical, IMO. SO, if they get those three positions by the 4th round, I'll be satisfied.

The only selections that would really "upset" me would be RB, TE or QB in the 1st (or really extreme P or K). Taking those positions above higher needs with decent options available would seem like a waste. I could see WR maybe, but that would have to be for someone they really view as special. The Steelers generally wait for a guy they like in the later rounds.

• Like 1