Seven players worthy of #1 overall?

Epyon

So assuming he's telling us the truth, Poles has 7 prospects worthy of going #1....

Figured it'd be fun to see who everyone thinks those players are. So list your 7 blue chip players for this draft. 

Gonna put the thread up and edit mine in as I can, since still at work

13 minutes ago, Epyon said:

So list your 7 blue chip players for this draft. 

I want to play, but I also want to make a clarification of what he is saying. I dont think he said there are 7 Blue Chip prospects, just that 7 are worthy of being taken #1 overall. That just as easily (and more likely) means that none of them are blue Chippers, but there is a first level of 7 guys they have grouped together.

• Like 2

1. Jalen Carter DL, Georgia
  2. Will Anderson, ED Alabama
  3. Tyree Wilson, DL Texas Tech
  4. Bryce Young, QB Alabama
  5. Myles Murphy, DL Clemson
  6. Paris Johnson, OT Ohio St
  7. C.J. Stroud, QB Ohio St

I actually have Stroud leading the 2nd group, along with Bijan, Michael Mayer, Broderick Jones, and the Top CBs (Gonzalez, Porter, Witherspoon)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I want to play, but I also want to make a clarification of what he is saying. I dont think he said there are 7 Blue Chip prospects, just that 7 are worthy of being taken #1 overall. That just as easily (and more likely) means that none of them are blue Chippers, but there is a first level of 7 guys they have grouped together.

Yeah there's definitely room for interpretation. Was planning on making two separate lists myself first being 7 prospects for any team, then second list being seven prospects for THIS team specifically. 

Ok my list(s)

7 players that are worth #1 for the league generally:

1. Stroud-QB     My QB1 this draft.

2. Young-QB    Lower because of size.

3. Anderson-Edge    Best pass rusher

4. Paris Johnson-LT   Best LT

5. Broderick Jones-RT  Best OVERALL tackle, just lower because he's on the right side

6. Devon Witherspoon-CB   Best corner, and it's NOT close. IMO best corner in years.

7. Tyree Wilson-Edge  Highest upside pass rusher.

Now my list if I'm trying to pick the top 7 picks for the BEARS SPECIFICALLY that provide the most impact.

7. Witherspoon-CB     As said above I think he's the best corner to come out of the draft in years. He might even be the best overall defensive player this draft. The problem is I don't think a corner, even an elite one, does anything to move the needle for us right now.

6. Jalen Hyatt-WR   He's lost a peg on my board (while JSN improved), but I still have Hyatt as arguably better overall. I think he is going to be a guy who simply scores more TDS. The problem with Hyatt is he's a home run hitter, and the Bears simply aren't built for a home run hitter right now. We don't have people the who simply "get on base" right now, nor the protection to give the home run hitter time to work.

5. Paris Johnson-LT Immediate upgrade over Braxton Jones at the most important position on the line... Involves moving Braxton to RT (or swing). Internal evaluation of Braxton is critical here.

4. JSN-WR   Immediately upgrades the WR room, and while I don't think he scores near as many TDs as Hyatt, I do think he fills the role the Bears need of a guy who can reliably "get on base" that the Bears currently lack

3. Broderick Jones-RT    Right Tackle is tied for our OL's biggest need, and I think he's the best overall tackle in the class. He's got the length and athleticism Poies seems to want as well.

This is where I'ma get dramatic. So to reiterate, this second list isn't necessarily players I'd pay as a #1 overall pick, but rather players that I think provide the most team changing impact.

2. Jahmyr Gibbs-RB   See below

1. Darnell Washington-TE  See below

So,  my top two most impactful players for this team's first round are the "#2" RB and the "#2" TE from this draft class.... Feel free to take a moment to lose your minds and call for my firing as internet draft GM, now.  So to defend those two picks, and why I think they'd be the two most impactful picks we could make in the first round let's examine our goal for this year:

We need to properly evaluate Fields as a QB, and that' involves getting the passing game working. But wait, "how can you focus on the passing game by drafting a running back, and a TE who's only going to have ~500 yards receiving if we're lucky?" you might be asking. Well lets examine what..... What part of the receiving game is missing? You might be tempted to say it's a receiver who gets open consistently. Others might be tempted to point out that our OL pass blocks about as well as a 5 year old girl.  Both of those are valid problems, but as mentioned above when discussing Jalen Hyatt, our problem isn't an inability to hit home runs in the passing game, it's the inability to hit SINGLES. SHORT yardage, easy completions underneath. That's a running back taking a check down pass, and that's a Tight End, being a massive size mismatch underneath.   Moreover, those two players also play directly into what is an already established team strength: The running game.  Gibbs fixes BOTH the fundamental flaws with our running back room: LACK OF EXPLOSION, AND LACK OF PASS CATCHING...... Just having Gibbs as a screen option immediately hurts a defense's ability to blitz Fields..... Meanwhile Washington is basically an offensive tackle that is going to catch ~500 yards worth of passes. If that wasn't enough he also frees up Kmet's usage in more varied ways for even more blocking mismatches..... Finally, one of the big factors that really won me over on considering Washington, is he's not just a blocker at the line of scrimmage, but as a receiving threat, he's also the legal way you get an offensive linemen DOWNFIELD on a passing play to blow someone in the secondary up.  You want to take a screen pass to the house? Toss it to Gibbs while Some combination of Washington, Kmet, Claypool, and Mooney (who's small but gives amazing effort) are all blocking on the perimeter.  Finally, Washington also frankly heavily mitigates the concerns we currently have at RT, because he basically IS a right tackle.

TLDR..... If you gave me only two players from the entire first round for this team, I take Darnell Washington-TE and Jahmyr Gibbs-RB without question. If I got 3 players, I'd probably get JSN in there too and just fully load up the weapons, but overall impact, Washington changes everything about our offense, and Gibbs force multiplies the things we're already good at, while also providing the underneath receiving threat, while STILL adding the explosiveness..... Now are either worth the #1 overall? Positionally, obviously not, but that #1 pick can easily be turned into both players (and then some), and that's where I think we find the most impact.

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

So assuming he's telling us the truth, Poles has 7 prospects worthy of going #1....

Could be that he’s signaling that he wants to stay in the top 7 unless someone blows his doors off too (looking at you, CAR).

My top 7: 

1- Will Anderson. Think he’s gonna have 100+ sacks in his career and be a strong run defender along the way. Reminds me a lot of Khalil Mack and not just because of their similar size and stature. Leader, but more by example. Wants to be great and committed to working for it. Incredibly technically sound. 

2- Jalen Carter. Incredible talent and game wrecker. He’s more a 1a than a 2 for me. Him behind Anderson on this list for me is a testament to what I think of Anderson and not a slight to Carter. 

3- Bryce Young. If he were 6’2” and 210lb he’d be everyone’s #1 pick. Elite poise. At his best in the biggest moments. Good decision maker. Athletic enough. Seems to have the right makeup.

4- Bijan Robinson. If you were to build a RB in a lab he’d look a lot like Robinson. Speed, power, elusiveness and receiving skills - he’s got it all. I think the only thing that could keep him from being a multiple all pro would be injury. This list is for top players - positional devaluing is the only reason Robinson won’t be in the top handful of picks next month. Wouldn’t shock me in the slightest to see him push for 2000 total yards as a rookie.

5- Jaxon Smith-Njigba. 2022 hamstring injury aside, JSN was the best WR on a team where two of his teammates were picked in the top 11 of last year’s draft. Lacks the absurd speed but isn’t slow, and is an absolute standout at everything else. Silky route runner. Hands like glue. Reliable chain mover. Gonna be some QB’s best friend, and I’m hoping it’s ours.

6- CJ Stroud. Super accurate QB who’s more athletic than most think. Elite college production comes from skills that should transition well to the NFL game.

7- Tyree Wilson. Madden create-a-player stature with a ton of power. Scheme versatile difference maker who gets to the QB who will only get more efficient at it as his repertoire develops further.  

• Like 1

I believe this is all based on a misquote, but I'll play along.  I also won't be including QBs as I don't think Poles is either.

1.  Jalen Carter - hands down best player inbthis draft on tape.  Have to do more homework on character if you take him 1 overall

2.  Will Anderson Jr - clearly the cleaner prospect, is more motor and technique than freak.  Risk here (if you want to call it that) is that he has already maxed out.

3.  Paris Johnson - Best OT in the class.  Length and athleticism fits as a franchise LT.  

4.  Tyree Wilson - Lengtg plays in the NFL.  Ask Julius Peppers, Mario Williams, JPP.  These are the comps for Wilson who is a super long athletic freak who if he's not injured right now would likely have been the story of the combine.  You are gambling on upside here, but it appears to be a safe gamble.

5.  Jaxon Smith-Njigba - Best WR in the class for some.  Excellent route runner, great hands.  May best be suited in the slot at the next level but will be dominant there.  Comp is Cooper Kupp

6.  Jordan Addison - best WR in the class for some.  Best route runner in the class.  Smooth in and out of cuts.  Reliable target, fast enough.  

7.  Peter Skoronski - arm length says he won't be given a single snap at OT in the NFL....BUT...Zack Martin had the same arm length.  He could be a DOMINANT OG.  Best OL tape in the class.  

• Like 1

Just going off my top 7 for the Bears. Also while I have Bijan as #4 in no way am I taking him over anyone under him on the list. If outside of the top 10 though I'd be damn tempted.

1. Will Anderson, EDGE Alabama
  2. Jalen Carter DT, Georgia
  3. Tyree Wilson, EDGE Texas Tech
  4. Bijan Robinson, RB Texas
  5. Myles Murphy, EDGE Clemson
  6. Paris Johnson, OT Ohio St
  7. Broderick Jones, OT Gerogia
  • Like 2