Chiefs expected to release DE Frank Clark

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It was rework at a much lower cap hit or part company. Since it appears that Orlando Brown will not get the franchise tag, the Chiefs have some big shoes to fill. 

On a happier note, the team can re-sign or restructure a lot of younger players. 

This. Build a core and patch the holes. They've been pretty good at working around it.

With regards to OBJ: I think they considered the risk of being stuck with him on the franchise tag as too big. I'd thought they'd be able to trade him ... but they have inside knowledge about his contractual demands.

Are they trying to clear some money to sign Orlando Brown Jr then?

They can fill that edge position with a 1st rounder potentially a lot easier than they fill that LT position.  

Any of these guys could be there 1st round potentially, Kancey a DT and maybe Tuli but I think Tuli might end up as a edge guy.

Keion White Georgia Tech RS SR DE
Calijah Kancey Pitt RS JR DT
Tuli Tuipuloutu USC JR DT/DE
Myles Murphy Clemson JR DE
Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame RS JR OLB/DE

The OT spot a lot harder, Wright is long gone, Cody Mauch would be a reach, Matthew Bergeron might be the best bet.  Blake Freeland maybe but honestly why not wait till the 2nd round to get him.  Sure Freeland worked out well but not like he dominated at the Senior bowl or something.  I have them getting Asim Richards in the 3rd as well.

Will be curious what they use that $21 mil for unless it is just to pay some DTs or backup OL.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Whether it's money or just an agreement in principle, there seems to be confidence that OB Jr will be a Chief. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

They can fill that edge position with a 1st rounder potentially a lot easier than they fill that LT position.  

Absafreakinglutely. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Any of these guys could be there 1st round potentially, Kancey a DT and maybe Tuli but I think Tuli might end up as a edge guy.

The OT spot a lot harder, Wright is long gone, Cody Mauch would be a reach, Matthew Bergeron might be the best bet.  Blake Freeland maybe but honestly why not wait till the 2nd round to get him.  Sure Freeland worked out well but not like he dominated at the Senior bowl or something.  I have them getting Asim Richards in the 3rd as well.

Will be curious what they use that $21 mil for unless it is just to pay some DTs or backup OL.  

I would not count a trade up out. Using the last draft as a blueprint, the Chiefs moved up for the last useful player on the second tier, meaning McDuffie. If their idea of a top tier DT or DE is available at #20 or so, they have the juice to go get him. 

That said, I can also see them re-signing Nnadi and/or Saunders, taking an elite TE and throwing 3-5 lower picks at DE and DT. End of career veterans like Carlos Dunlap will always be available to plug gaps.

36 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Whether it's money or just an agreement in principle, there seems to be confidence that OB Jr will be a Chief. 

Absafreakinglutely. 

I would not count a trade up out. Using the last draft as a blueprint, the Chiefs moved up for the last useful player on the second tier, meaning McDuffie. If their idea of a top tier DT or DE is available at #20 or so, they have the juice to go get him. 

That said, I can also see them re-signing Nnadi and/or Saunders, taking an elite TE and throwing 3-5 lower picks at DE and DT. End of career veterans like Carlos Dunlap will always be available to plug gaps.

If we don’t have Clark, don’t have OBJr, and we draft a TE in the first I’ll buy you their jersey! (Unless those positions are addressed via FA)

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

This is far from an exhaustive list, in fact only Foskey is on my list of Edge players I think they could look at with that pick. (Though I do like Kancey, but I’m trying to keep him inside mentally)

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

This is far from an exhaustive list, in fact only Foskey is on my list of Edge players I think they could look at with that pick. (Though I do like Kancey, but I’m trying to keep him inside mentally)

Kancey is not in the Spagnuolo wheelhouse, ie 6'3" or taller, but he's explosive and has good straight line speed. He's in a group I can see them trading back to enter.

• 9 months later...