Packers game 5up 5down

3rivers

IP

1. Boz- that winning FG might have been good from 60 yards after watching it a few times.  Boz deserves recognition 

2. AB

3. Heyward

4. Tuitt

5. Bell

Down

1. coach must not have had this team ready, or did you all expect GTB to control the game as they did

2. Eli with the dropped passes

3. Hargrave got pushed around too much

4. secondary made some mistakes

5. not a good all around 60 minute game  was it?

Ups:

1. Big Ben - - Ben was laser accurate and could have put up 400 yards and more point if not for some of the drops. I am hoping Ben has turned the corner and is beginning to play like the Ben of old.  There were two INT's, but great effort nonetheless. He showed why he is still elite.

2. AB - - Business was boomin'.  He made another all world clutch catch that led to game winning FG.  He should be getting serious HOF consideration at this point. In fact, he is HOF!

3. Bell - - Not one of his best games, but he does so many little things well. His pass protection was huge. We are used to his clutch receptions and runs, but Bell did a lot of other very good things for the offense.

4. Bryant - - Not huge numbers, but probably his best game back and hopefully the beginning of bigger and better things. He makes the offense scary with the other Killer B's and Ju Ju.

5. Watt - - I wasn't enthralled with the draft pick, but he looks like a future leader and all pro.  I would like to see them let this kid loose on the pass rush. He can get double digit sacks and make our pass rush even better. 

Downs

1. Continue to play down to opponents. It is more disheartening when you see other teams like Philly and New England take care of business.

2. Mental mistakes.  I don't expect perfection every play, but don't beat yourself. Miscues, dropped passes, fumbles, being out of position, and not playing disciplined football.  It all leads to you beating yourself. We have to improve there.

3. We play balls out with the no huddle on offense. Why only do it one series?

4. Officiating. I will continue to lobby about inconsistencies here. The league needs full time officials: PERIOD. Horrible call against Artie on first drive that prevented us from getting the ball back on offense and led to a TD. It did balance out somewhat later with the no call on the helmet to helmet, but officiating is grossly inconsistent from game to game and even in game at times.

5. Pass defense. Third consecutive game giving up a long TD opening second half drive off of miscommunication or busted coverage. Side Note: I understand wanting balanced OLB's, but why do we have to drop both OLB's so often. We have guys who can get after the QB. I think Dupree and Watt are capable of double digit sacks if you let them come after the QB. I get it the object is to win and not put up great individual stats, but when they rush, they bring it. Let them do that more.  We did the same thing with Harrison and Worilds/Woodley. I know the Steelers are still #2 in sacks, but they may be #1 if they let these guys loose more.

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

IP

1. Boz- that winning FG might have been good from 60 yards after watching it a few times.  Boz deserves recognition 

2. AB

3. Heyward

4. Tuitt

5. Bell

Down

1. coach must not have had this team ready, or did you all expect GTB to control the game as they did

2. Eli with the dropped passes

3. Hargrave got pushed around too much

4. secondary made some mistakes

5. not a good all around 60 minute game  was it?

I was surprised by this. Hargraves did not have one of his better games.  Walton did a decent job in the second half and it looked like they started to give him more reps. I haven't replayed the game, but if I recall Walton got some more snaps later in the second half.

Up:

Ben was much better than usual this year.  He could've had better stats if not for drops.  One INT was a tipped and the other was a good play by the defender.  

Bell played well.

Brown was awesome.  That catch on the sidelines was the game winner.

Boswell was great with that game winner.

Beating the FudgePackers.  Always great.  

Down:

Way too many blown coverages.  The D has not looked like  #2 unit since losing Joe Haden.  He's crucial, obviously, to the entire D.

Way too many missed tackles and solid gains on the ground allowed. 

Way too many drops by the WRs.

Is Shazier hurt now?  He is the focal point of the D now, just like Polamalu used to be.  Can't lose him along with Haden. 

Depth at WR is obviously a problem.  As I said leading up to the draft, this WR corp is NOT loaded by any means and I would've drafted at least 2 early.  Just imagine this year's offense if the Steelers hadn't agreed with me and burned a 2 on JuJu.  It would be fugly.  It's a huge let down as-is.  

Ups

1. AB , nough said.

2. Ben was on when needed, some of those passes deserve just as much credit as catches,

3. Boz 

4. Abbreviated celebrations recognizing the moment. I have no problem with celebrating and doing something quick but its pretty obnoxious when something takes like 15 seconds to set up.. Glad though in a close game that it was more about scoring than what you're gonna do after it. 

5. We got out with a W. pheewwh. 

Down

Shazier gambling and responsible for that long TD on a screen play.  Very Lawrence Timmons like. I know the game has changed, but other teams have athletic linebackers that cover, that are also instinctive and can "Do their job". This annoys me, especially in the middle. Then its like "no big deal"  plays like this are gonna happen according to Shazier postgame. How bout you set your bar higher and believe that they shouldnt if you play discipline football. Contrary to popular opinion, dude doesnt make enough great plays to make up for these. Yeah he makes tackles, ...breaking news...Steelers LBs are supposed to make the majority of the plays, the defense is set up for that. 

Artie Burns,...what is up with this dude?.. how many plays is he going to misread this year..and straight up get beat on.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did have more upside than I gave him credit for pre draft. He's young and only a sophomore but I also get annoyed by some of the dumb end of play antics which have resulted in penalty or lucky they didnt. I think thats the thing thats pissing me off more. Again no discipline and selfish.

Vince Williams personal foul to start the game. He said on twitter that he doesn't care about it and he's never going to take anybodys ****. Selfish. Pride is a weakness. 

Boz missing the extra point. Boz is great but this started things out with that Uh-oh feeling and I believe started things in motion for the less than stellar showing. Then Williams does the bonehead personal foul the very next play. (Sinking feeling)

The feeling that this team does lack discipline and is selfish. I've never really blamed Tomlin for this and have defended him often.. I don't think I can do that any more in regards to this and its detriment to the team. Not asking for his removal by any means, but don;t want to see this slope get any more slippery. 

16 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Ups

1. AB , nough said.

2. Ben was on when needed, some of those passes deserve just as much credit as catches,

3. Boz 

4. Abbreviated celebrations recognizing the moment. I have no problem with celebrating and doing something quick but its pretty obnoxious when something takes like 15 seconds to set up.. Glad though in a close game that it was more about scoring than what you're gonna do after it. 

5. We got out with a W. pheewwh. 

Down

Shazier gambling and responsible for that long TD on a screen play.  Very Lawrence Timmons like. I know the game has changed, but other teams have athletic linebackers that cover, that are also instinctive and can "Do their job". This annoys me, especially in the middle. Then its like "no big deal"  plays like this are gonna happen according to Shazier postgame. How bout you set your bar higher and believe that they shouldnt if you play discipline football. Contrary to popular opinion, dude doesnt make enough great plays to make up for these. Yeah he makes tackles, ...breaking news...Steelers LBs are supposed to make the majority of the plays, the defense is set up for that. 

Artie Burns,...what is up with this dude?.. how many plays is he going to misread this year..and straight up get beat on.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he did have more upside than I gave him credit for pre draft. He's young and only a sophomore but I also get annoyed by some of the dumb end of play antics which have resulted in penalty or lucky they didnt. I think thats the thing thats pissing me off more. Again no discipline and selfish.

Vince Williams personal foul to start the game. He said on twitter that he doesn't care about it and he's never going to take anybodys ****. Selfish. Pride is a weakness. 

Boz missing the extra point. Boz is great but this started things out with that Uh-oh feeling and I believe started things in motion for the less than stellar showing. Then Williams does the bonehead personal foul the very next play. (Sinking feeling)

The feeling that this team does lack discipline and is selfish. I've never really blamed Tomlin for this and have defended him often.. I don't think I can do that any more in regards to this and its detriment to the team. Not asking for his removal by any means, but don;t want to see this slope get any more slippery. 

agree about Burns. If he doesn't get his game together, maybe look at CB next year. Maybe Revis and Haden :o Really though, I don't see Burns as an improvement over what we had and this guy cost us a RD1 pick.  What do you want for next year at CB JPN?

1 hour ago, August4th said:

not ready to give up on Burns..just his 2nd yr and he's still really young.. hoping his mental mistakes will become less often with experience

Not only that he started 6 games last year, 10 this year.  He's literally just started for 1 season's worth of games.  He's getting put on an island a bit more.

I do think we are seeing all his mistakes happen in zone coverage and not man coverage.  They drafted him because they wanted to play more man, so I'm not shocked that he's struggling with it.  And to be honest we went to more zone when Haden went about because Sensebaugh isn't a strong man defender.

Burns will be fine, as long as you dont expect him to ever be some lock down corner.     I think he is more talented than Ike Taylor was.   Ike had an elite pass rush and good safeties most of his career.   When that started to fade away, Ike was exploited.   Thats not even meant to bash on Ike....just saying that Burns, much like Ike, isnt a stand alone star in the secondary that is going to be the guy you build around.   

IMO, a great safety to replace Mitchell could really complete this defense.   I would like to see an upgrade to Vince Williams and I still think we lack a consistent outside pass rusher (still wish we had drafted Carl Lawson), but a really good safety would be the glue that binds that secondary together, and make life easier for both Burns and Davis.    I know I rag on Mitchell alot (as many others do), but I truly believe he is the elephant in the room.     Not saying it will be easy to go out and find a great safety....but at the very least, make an effort to move on from a guy who is nothing but a liability in every phase of the game, and is actually a hindrance on your developing young defensive backs.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Burns will be fine, as long as you dont expect him to ever be some lock down corner.     I think he is more talented than Ike Taylor was.   Ike had an elite pass rush and good safeties most of his career.   When that started to fade away, Ike was exploited.   Thats not even meant to bash on Ike....just saying that Burns, much like Ike, isnt a stand alone star in the secondary that is going to be the guy you build around.   

IMO, a great safety to replace Mitchell could really complete this defense.   I would like to see an upgrade to Vince Williams and I still think we lack a consistent outside pass rusher (still wish we had drafted Carl Lawson), but a really good safety would be the glue that binds that secondary together, and make life easier for both Burns and Davis.    I know I rag on Mitchell alot (as many others do), but I truly believe he is the elephant in the room.     Not saying it will be easy to go out and find a great safety....but at the very least, make an effort to move on from a guy who is nothing but a liability in every phase of the game, and is actually a hindrance on your developing young defensive backs.

I'm pretty sure this year's draft class is pretty solid on safeties. Whether the FO drafts one early will remain to be seen.

Archived