2023 NFL offseason

Forge

7 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Meh lol, both don't excite me. If we can upgrade in draft please do so 49ers. 

I actually liked what I saw from McKivtiz when he filled in for Trent last year. 

I also like the fact that they're going to make him earn it. Even though it's a lowly career utility guy w/potential (Pryor) & Moore, there's just enough comp there for me to be okay with whom ever emerges as the starter. 

But I think McKivtiz has done enough to be the frontrunner, so to speak.

Everything else will work itself out in TC. 

I'm good with what we have heading into the into OTAs/Mini-camps.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually liked what I saw from McKivtiz when he filled in for Trent last year. 

I also like the fact that they're going to make him earn it. Even though it's a lowly career utility guy w/potential (Pryor) & Moore, there's just enough comp there for me to be okay with whom ever emerges as the starter. 

But I think McKivtiz has done enough to be the frontrunner, so to speak.

Everything else will work itself out in TC. 

I'm good with what we have heading into the into OTAs/Mini-camps.

I'm talking about Moore and Pryor as the swing tackle. I'm fine with McKivitiz as the starter at RT. But I'm concerned he won't stay healthy for long. 

• Like 2

We have a guy who proved himself last year, and we have a guy in Trey Lance who we were believing in enough to give him the keys to our whole organization and unfortunately, he got hurt. And we also got a free agent who came in who we've always been a huge fan of. So, I can't wait to get to OTAs and practice, get to training camp and just let itself play out.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Dalton Kincaid, confirmed. 😁  Wouldn't @Forge be pleased?! 🧐

Honestly, I would be ecstatic but he's likely to go a bit higher than we pick.....could he be a trade up target?! Aw, I'm just throwing stuff out and seeing what sticks. 

It honestly depends on what they think Woerner is moving forward. Prior to 2022, Woerner was looking like an ascending player that was one hell of a blocking TE and just scratching the surface as a receiver. He was looking like a sure-fire #2 TE for 2022, but then he plummeted for some reason and barely played. 

If the Niners view him as a #3 blocking TE, then drafting a guy like Tucker Kraft or Dalton Kincaid makes sense for their receiving ability. If Woerner is viewed as a #2 TE, then drafting a guy like Payne Durham or Luke Schoonmaker makes sense for their blocking ability. 

Sam LaPorta has a foot in both camps and might be the most attractive option, too. 

40 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

It honestly depends on what they think Woerner is moving forward. Prior to 2022, Woerner was looking like an ascending player that was one hell of a blocking TE and just scratching the surface as a receiver. He was looking like a sure-fire #2 TE for 2022, but then he plummeted for some reason and barely played. 

If the Niners view him as a #3 blocking TE, then drafting a guy like Tucker Kraft or Dalton Kincaid makes sense for their receiving ability. If Woerner is viewed as a #2 TE, then drafting a guy like Payne Durham or Luke Schoonmaker makes sense for their blocking ability. 

Sam LaPorta has a foot in both camps and might be the most attractive option, too. 

I think Sam Laporta fits what they want from a receiving option best. The YAC speaks for itself - I think you want Sam most to have the ball in his hands in this class, but this administration also likes guys that are fluid in and out of breaks. We run more stick and stick-nod and even corner-post and corner-stops than the traditional seams and corner routes and other linear stuff where guys are winning with straight-line speed and length. Laporta's athletic profile is eerily close to Kittle's - the RAS compare there is very fascinating if anyone is interested in taking a look. Now, Laporta is more a willing blocker than a successful one by my eye. Guys cross his face on scoot blocks too easily. His arms are shorter than Kittle's and that makes it look harder to lock guys out. His hands aren't foolproof. But you can work on the blocking. And the drops are just how the 49ers roll. You can give up the occasional concentration drop for situational awareness and YAC that turns regular plays into explosives. Also, Laporta has been in the outside zone system for years now. Hell, Kirk Farentz basically invented the damn thing. It's why we love scouting Iowa bois.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think Sam Laporta fits what they want from a receiving option best. The YAC speaks for itself - I think you want Sam most to have the ball in his hands in this class, but this administration also likes guys that are fluid in and out of breaks. We run more stick and stick-nod and even corner-post and corner-stops than the traditional seams and corner routes and other linear stuff where guys are winning with straight-line speed and length. Laporta's athletic profile is eerily close to Kittle's - the RAS compare there is very fascinating if anyone is interested in taking a look. Now, Laporta is more a willing blocker than a successful one by my eye. Guys cross his face on scoot blocks too easily. His arms are shorter than Kittle's and that makes it look harder to lock guys out. His hands aren't foolproof. But you can work on the blocking. And the drops are just how the 49ers roll. You can give up the occasional concentration drop for situational awareness and YAC that turns regular plays into explosives. Also, Laporta has been in the outside zone system for years now. Hell, Kirk Farentz basically invented the damn thing. It's why we love scouting Iowa bois.

LaPorta makes a lot of sense for the Niners. Especially if we only roll with 3 TE. We'd need more of a finished product with some polish over raw upside.

If we re-signed Kroft or signed a guy like Maxx Williams, I think we could take a guy like Tucker Kraft in the draft to be the 4th TE who is a little more raw but has some intriguing upside as both a receiver and blocker.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Basically......It will be on Trey to hold on to the top spot. Kyle would still prefer for Trey to win the job and be THE guy. While he knows he can win with Brock, he's not blind to some of his limitations. 

Yeah, the best outcome for the team is that Trey has a fire under his butt and starts hitting the routine throws that make the offense roll while still bringing the top level athleticism and arm strength. He's the guy we have under contract cheaply for multiple years that has the upside to be a top dog. But there are multiple fallback lanes. I think they like Darnold, too. Darnold has a long statistical history of being bad, but he looked reasonably fine running a play-action offense in Carolina and he has interesting tools. I think they'll draft someone on a flyer later on. I think after last year (and just about every year with Jimmy G), they just want multiple possible correct answers to the quarterback test.

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, the best outcome for the team is that Trey has a fire under his butt and starts hitting the routine throws that make the offense roll while still bringing the top level athleticism and arm strength. He's the guy we have under contract cheaply for multiple years that has the upside to be a top dog. But there are multiple fallback lanes. I think they like Darnold, too. Darnold has a long statistical history of being bad, but he looked reasonably fine running a play-action offense in Carolina and he has interesting tools. I think they'll draft someone on a flyer later on. I think after last year (and just about every year with Jimmy G), they just want multiple possible correct answers to the quarterback test.

Definitely, I think part of this is strategic and they want to motivate Trey for the offseason. This team is usually coy and even if they believed Purdy was the guy, they would not have announced it like this in the past. They know what they have in Purdy and the team will be fine if Trey does not take another leap but they want to first see if Trey will or will not be able to take that leap. If he does, then they aren't going back to Purdy to start the season at least. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, I think part of this is strategic and they want to motivate Trey for the offseason. This team is usually coy and even if they believed Purdy was the guy, they would not have announced it like this in the past. They know what they have in Purdy and the team will be fine if Trey does not take another leap but they want to first see if Trey will or will not be able to take that leap. If he does, then they aren't going back to Purdy to start the season at least. 

So best case is they think he may be able to be ready just before the season but more likely it is going to be sometime in the first month of the season. If that is the case, will they place him on the PUP list or just make him inactive for the first four or so weeks? 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So best case is they think he may be able to be ready just before the season but more likely it is going to be sometime in the first month of the season. If that is the case, will they place him on the PUP list or just make him inactive for the first four or so weeks? 

I said this before and I think it holds true; I think the best possible situation for this staff is that Purdy starts on PUP and Trey gets the first four weeks. If he comes in and is balling out, great, we stick with him, but if he comes in and struggles our staff can easily go back to Purdy without trashing Trey and say something like 'Purdy has been our starter, but he just wasn't ready yet; this is not an indictment on how we feel about Lance'. 

This allows us to see what we have in Lance and potentially have two QBs with high value on our roster that we could potentially get something for one of them next offseason or further down the road. If Purdy starts and no one ever sees Trey play again outside of pre-season in SF, his value is going to being even lower than it is today.