2023 NFL offseason

Forge

14 minutes ago, John232 said:

People are saying the press conferences aren’t a great look because shanny and lynch don’t seem aligned at all. True?

I think that they are aligned in the most important stuff (Purdy is the leader to start). The one variance was the recovery time for Purdy, I believe

• Like 3

11 hours ago, straighthate said:

Hate this. Doesn’t give cuts a chance to land elsewhere and catch on with the team. 

How many guys actually catch on with another team in the old system though. The guys closest to making the roster where already the last cuts outside of a few vets who if they feel they won't make it will still request to be released early. 

I think we all know how the Brocky Purdy experiment is going to play out here, assuming he gets to full health. He will be put up good stats in the regular season and the team will win but in big games, he will come up short and not make enough of the special plays the opposing QB makes....Kyle will sour on him and in two to three years, we will be back to square one. Then you have to wonder how his health will hold up with such a small frame. He's a guy that tries to extend a lot of plays and will hold on to the ball for as long as he could and that will open himself to some big hits in the process. 

The question is, will Kyle still be the HC in say 2026 if it plays out this way? Say another NFCCG appearance or even two more but no SB appearance and obviously no championship. What do you guys think? 

• Like 3

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think we all know how the Brocky Purdy experiment is going to play out here, assuming he gets to full health. He will be put up good stats in the regular season and the team will win but in big games, he will come up short and not make enough of the special plays the opposing QB makes....Kyle will sour on him and in two to three years, we will be back to square one. Then you have to wonder how his health will hold up with such a small frame. He's a guy that tries to extend a lot of plays and will hold on to the ball for as long as he could and that will open himself to some big hits in the process. 

The question is, will Kyle still be the HC in say 2026 if it plays out this way? Say another NFCCG appearance or even two more but no SB appearance and obviously no championship. What do you guys think? 

I think that you're right about Brock Purdy. But I also think the coaching staff knows this and are trying to give themselves two bites at the apple of physical upside this offseason with Brock as the floor-insuring reserve plan to come in after 3 or 4 games after the physical upside guys have a chance at driving the car and proving that they can or can't drive it. Now, I know that you don't feel this way about Darnold (and his stats and play have been terrible outside like 4 games, I more than get not liking Darnold). 

But as rebuttal, Darnold was legit good at helping his receivers generate YAC last year. His receivers averaged more YAC/rec than the 49ers receivers averaged for the season and that late Panthers run looked a lot like what Kyle would like Trey to look like. Besides this, every indication I have processed so far indicates that Kyle feels differently about Darnold than the consensus. He's been Darnold's hype man for years now. I think that the interest in trading for Darnold that was rumored prior to the Lance trade have gained significant validity points. Kyle's having Darnold split first team reps with Trey, when they would otherwise want Lance to have as many reps as possible.

I can't imagine that this means something other than the team is legit interested in what Darnold would look like in their system. I'm not sure that means that they've entirely soured on Lance. I more or less take Shanahan at face value - they are rolling some dice with guys they like and Purdy is a fine option when available if the higher upside guys can't get to his level and stay healthy. Both Darnold and Lance have large injury histories of their own. And you are right, Darnold is a good soldier that will accept being the reserve option if that's the outcome. I think that matters to the calculus here. But I don't think that means that the team is only interested in him as the reserve option. They could spend the same or less money for other more consistent players to get that sort of veteran quarterback insurance in the room. And they wouldn't give those guys first team reps.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Been saying it for a while, his career may play out eerily similar to Reid’s. 

but this sounds right. Quick to fall in love. Quick to fall out of it. I think on the whole, the FO and coaching staff have been very good. Top 7. But there seems to be an institutional impatience that I think, like you’ve laid out, will ultimately be his undoing.

not even taking into account mahomes, look at all the other “patient” plays that have worked out well. I’d even throw the the Jets in there. They acquired capital, got their QB, he busted, but they hit picks, got FA’s and regardless of wilson flaming out, they were patient with picks and cap and can go and grab a Rodgers or Lamar.

I don’t want to see shanny go, but it’s feeling like where everyone is going to need to end it to get space and grow/become the next best version of themselves. I’d say this applies to Jed too. I feel like Jed has been an unsung hero a bit in recent success. He’s put up the money and support to get leaders and talent in the building, he’s doing it largely behind the scenes and I think he’s gotten this org a ton of clout around the league. We’ve been poached more than any other org, which speaks to the top down decision making.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Been saying it for a while, his career may play out eerily similar to Reid’s. 

but this sounds right. Quick to fall in love. Quick to fall out of it. I think on the whole, the FO and coaching staff have been very good. Top 7. But there seems to be an institutional impatience that I think, like you’ve laid out, will ultimately be his undoing.

not even taking into account mahomes, look at all the other “patient” plays that have worked out well. I’d even throw the the Jets in there. They acquired capital, got their QB, he busted, but they hit picks, got FA’s and regardless of wilson flaming out, they were patient with picks and cap and can go and grab a Rodgers or Lamar.

I don’t want to see shanny go, but it’s feeling like where everyone is going to need to end it to get space and grow/become the next best version of themselves. I’d say this applies to Jed too. I feel like Jed has been an unsung hero a bit in recent success. He’s put up the money and support to get leaders and talent in the building, he’s doing it largely behind the scenes and I think he’s gotten this org a ton of clout around the league. We’ve been poached more than any other org, which speaks to the top down decision making.

Jed's staunch backing has been a major plus. I want this administration to have chances to make a few mistakes and learn from what they did wrong, considering that they do so much right so often. The quarterback situation has been an issue, but I'd rather them keep taking chances than turtle up and Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins our way to many wins but a lack of important upside.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that you're right about Brock Purdy. But I also think the coaching staff knows this and are trying to give themselves two bites at the apple of physical upside this offseason with Brock as the floor-insuring reserve plan to come in after 3 or 4 games after the physical upside guys have a chance at driving the car and proving that they can or can't drive it. Now, I know that you don't feel this way about Darnold (and his stats and play have been terrible outside like 4 games, I more than get not liking Darnold). 

But as rebuttal, Darnold was legit good at helping his receivers generate YAC last year. His receivers averaged more YAC/rec than the 49ers receivers averaged for the season and that late Panthers run looked a lot like what Kyle would like Trey to look like. Besides this, every indication I have processed so far indicates that Kyle feels differently about Darnold than the consensus. He's been Darnold's hype man for years now. I think that the interest in trading for Darnold that was rumored prior to the Lance trade have gained significant validity points. Kyle's having Darnold split first team reps with Trey, when they would otherwise want Lance to have as many reps as possible.

I can't imagine that this means something other than the team is legit interested in what Darnold would look like in their system. I'm not sure that means that they've entirely soured on Lance. I more or less take Shanahan at face value - they are rolling some dice with guys they like and Purdy is a fine option when available if the higher upside guys can't get to his level and stay healthy. Both Darnold and Lance have large injury histories of their own. And you are right, Darnold is a good soldier that will accept being the reserve option if that's the outcome. I think that matters to the calculus here. But I don't think that means that the team is only interested in him as the reserve option. They could spend the same or less money for other more consistent players to get that sort of veteran quarterback insurance in the room. And they wouldn't give those guys first team reps.

Darnold was great at helping his WRs generate YAC, true! But he's someone that puts together a good stretch of games to only fall apart. We did not get to see him play enough games last season to know if that was going to happen again but he ended the season with a 5-15 43 yards, 0 TD and 2 INT game against the Saints. That's just who he is. I don't buy it is the lack of talent he has been surrounded with, he's just not that guy....and it's perfectly fine. Darnold is someone you would love to have as a back up though as he CAN produce well in a three or four spurt. 

Kyle just is not a great evaluator of QBs. Nothing he has shown thus far would make me feel otherwise. Maybe he does feel like Darnold is underrated and he can get great play out of him but he will find the hard way when it matters the most. The team is STACKED at the moment but there's going to be some top guns aging out very soon so the window is now for a SB unless we end up having a true franchise caliber QB. Is that going to be Darnold or Purdy? Shanny better hope so or else this thing is going to end UGLY.

I'm okay with Darnold getting some first team reps in the offseason. I don't think it will be split evenly and majority will still go to Trey so that's fine. This will add some competition and Trey will need to attack this offseason with more urgency and fire. I still feel like Kyle prefers Trey to take that next step be THE guy as he knows what he has to go up against if he is to ever win a SB. Having guys like Purdy or even Darnold will be fine against most teams, but it comes a time where Kyle's play calling will not put the QBs at an distinct advantage and they will just need to flat out make plays on their own to win. Purdy made THAT play against the Cowboys on that pass to Kittle that changed the team but man our offense really struggled up until that point. We are going to have more of those types of games if the QB play isn't better than just average or even good. 

• Like 2

I cannot fathom the purpose in bringing up the chance of a coaching change when much has been accomplished in spite of so much adversity. 

As long as Kyle and company are winning, why is a coaching change even mentioned or anticipated?! I think some of us may be a bit too jaded...maybe? We cannot enjoy what we have, I guess? I would like our 6th Lombardi as well, but it's more likely to happen WITH Kyle than without him, IMO. I am baffled by this, really. 

Edit: I guess it's just a cynical way of looking at the current QB situation and anticipating that it will end like the previous one--Jimmy G. The problem is this: Purdy has already shown he will do things Jimmy G would not. Therefore, this is not likely to play out the same way. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I cannot fathom the purpose in bringing up the chance of a coaching change when much has been accomplished in spite of so much adversity. 

As long as Kyle and company are winning, why is a coaching change even mentioned or anticipated?! I think some of us may be a bit too jaded...maybe? We cannot enjoy what we have, I guess? I would like our 6th Lombardi as well, but it's more likely to happen WITH Kyle than without him, IMO. I am baffled by this, really. 

I'm not advocating getting rid of Kyle as I think very highly of him and his ability to develop coaches. However, if we are in year 10 of his tenure and the QB situation is still a mess while some of the top players on the team retire and/or start to age and no longer elite....I don't think it is out of question that Jed makes a move. Some think Kyle has a lifetime leash and that may end up being true but there's going to be a whole a lot of frustration and pressure put on by fans and the media. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Darnold was great at helping his WRs generate YAC, true! But he's someone that puts together a good stretch of games to only fall apart. We did not get to see him play enough games last season to know if that was going to happen again but he ended the season with a 5-15 43 yards, 0 TD and 2 INT game against the Saints. That's just who he is. I don't buy it is the lack of talent he has been surrounded with, he's just not that guy....and it's perfectly fine. Darnold is someone you would love to have as a back up though as he CAN produce well in a three or four spurt. 

Kyle just is not a great evaluator of QBs. Nothing he has shown thus far would make me feel otherwise. Maybe he does feel like Darnold is underrated and he can get great play out of him but he will find the hard way when it matters the most. The team is STACKED at the moment but there's going to be some top guns aging out very soon so the window is now for a SB unless we end up having a true franchise caliber QB. Is that going to be Darnold or Purdy? Shanny better hope so or else this thing is going to end UGLY.

I'm okay with Darnold getting some first team reps in the offseason. I don't think it will be split evenly and majority will still go to Trey so that's fine. This will add some competition and Trey will need to attack this offseason with more urgency and fire. I still feel like Kyle prefers Trey to take that next step be THE guy as he knows what he has to go up against if he is to ever win a SB. Having guys like Purdy or even Darnold will be fine against most teams, but it comes a time where Kyle's play calling will not put the QBs at an distinct advantage and they will just need to flat out make plays on their own to win. Purdy made THAT play against the Cowboys on that pass to Kittle that changed the team but man our offense really struggled up until that point. We are going to have more of those types of games if the QB play isn't better than just average or even good. 

I agree with all of this. I was just playing devil's advocate because it seems to me as though the coaching staff sees things slightly differently. 

• Like 2

I don't think that Kyle goes anywhere even if the QB position is still a mess and hasn't been solved if he's still winning. Even if there is no super bowl win in there. I still think you need to hit the downward slope after plateauing before moving on. Reid went 8-8 and 4-12 his last two years. 

As guys age out, get cut, move on and the talent depletes, it will get harder for him to maintain that level of winning without replenishing. If he doesn't replenish this all kind of takes care of itself anyway. 

• Like 3