2023 NFL offseason

Forge

45 minutes ago, N4L said:

If we trade Lance this offseason, that trade up has to be one of the worst trades in nfl history, right? 

Yes, for sure. He will be the worst draft pick in 49er history as well, imo. This regime will have drafted #1 and #2 in that regard between he and Thomas. 

Now, that said, the trade up probably doesn't hurt nearly as much as you would think if they manage to finagle like 33 or 35 out of this. Missing on the pick is actually worse. But at that point the cost will have ostensibly been pick 29  & whatever that third rounder was and then a swap of pick 29 to 33 or 35. Hardly a massive loss in that latter pick. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Knowing us a bust, a average and maybe one good player. The first round picks really have been quite underwhelming with this regime which makes the succes they have had even crazier since the core isn't just FA signings but mostly drafted players.

It is insane how bad their first round picks have been and I've said it before, they get no credit from me for Bosa. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It is insane how bad their first round picks have been and I've said it before, they get no credit from me for Bosa. 

Honestly not even just the first round picks. Just early picks in general. There must be something in our process that changes for day three picks either in who has more power or that we just pick the best player instead of fixating on a position we want to fill but we have had a ton of succes with late round guys and even UDFA's. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's wildly baffling. Like, they're a team that has figured out more than most that there are undervalued athletic traits that can make guys better in the NFL and better athletes than their 40s or RAS scores would suggest.

They've found that breaking tackles is not only undervalued somewhat by the draft community, but also predictive of other skills like route-running wiggle and have exploited it to get some real gems. They get more than most that there are skills that more basic athleticism measures don't track. And that off-field and on-field character matters.

So they've drafted enormously well after the first round. But with Trey Lance, they didn't get that his slow acceleration would make some usual QB run stuff not that great. With Reuben Foster, they swung and missed at the easiest softball on character (and at a less valuable position that they've hammered for home runs with undervalued gems ever since). With Kinlaw they overvalued arm length and straight line physical gifts and under rated just about everything else. Just crazy. All of those aren't just hindsight strange picks. All of them were known to be very high risk/high reward at the time which really isn't their jam everywhere else on the roster.

So yeah. I put it down to coaching staff weirdness. Most of the team's communication suggests this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

On the bright side, they've learned a lesson from the Rams:  Trade away your 1st round picks before you waste them.

Yes, but then my own mock drafts are a lot less fun 

• Like 2