John Wick: Chapter 4

Mox

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

A lot of worlds and genres they can explore. they can make a film around the "no name" guy. maybe he's former military. they can lean into those 80s action "rambo" type films and/or tap into the Blaxploitation genre. That could be a hit. also would like to see a film about the Japanese crime world featured in this. feel like that's a lock with how that part of the film ended.

Sounds like on top of Ballerina, they are going to move forward with 

Spoiler

Caine and Akira's story as a movie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mox said:

Sounds like on top of Ballerina, they are going to move forward with 

Hide contents

Caine and Akira's story as a movie.

Thats what the post credit easter egg flat out said.  I hope it comes to fruition because Cain was the coolest!

• Like 1

Movie was fantastic.

Spoiler

As much as I love the franchise, I hope they leave it as is. Maybe explore the post credits scene or Mr. Nobody a little more, but let John's story end like that. Forcing his way back from the dead only to have to find another satisfying ending would be difficult. 

• Like 1

Okay, hot take, this movie sucked, and has been Fast and Furious-ified hardcore.

Sometime around the 12th minute of the action scene at the Osaka Continental it just kinda became drawn out, boring, and repetitive. To the point that it was legitimately immersion breaking. And then they did the same **** 4 more times. 

Every single scene in this movie was 50% too long. 

The action scenes have taken a hit. The ******* suit jackets being COMPLETELY magic-bull**** bulletproof have completely ruined the tightly choreographed and almost practical seeming gun-fu. Every fight scene shouldn't include a 4 minute bit of John Wick hiding in his magic bubble doing a Batman/Dracula impression. 

Spoiler

The tracker character was completely stupid and entirely unnecessary. Why the hell nobody is willing to shoot a 55lb Mailnois or even god forbid try to harm it is annoying as ****. It bouncing off the car accident like absolutely nothing was wrong was ridiculous. 

Everything that took place in Berlin could have been cut and nothing of value would have been lost. 

Spoiler

Him getting thrown all the way back down the stairs was awful. Frankly, the whole "The Warriors" mash up was far from great.  

Spoiler

Making Cain blind was stupid. 

John Wick 1 was 96 minutes. Whoever decided this one needed to be 169 is an absolute wanker. 

+++

That wasn't to say there weren't some good parts.

Spoiler

Wick killing "The One Above the Table" was a good bit of mea-culpa-ing some ****ty world building. 

Winston was as fantastic as ever. 

The characters at the Osaka Continental were great. 

The action was good when not being COMPLETELY overused. 

The Marquii was a decent villain in places, though I certainly could have used more out of him in the final fight. 

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Okay, hot take, this movie sucked, and has been Fast and Furious-ified hardcore.

Sometime around the 12th minute of the action scene at the Osaka Continental it just kinda became drawn out, boring, and repetitive. To the point that it was legitimately immersion breaking. And then they did the same **** 4 more times. 

Every single scene in this movie was 50% too long. 

The action scenes have taken a hit. The ******* suit jackets being COMPLETELY magic-bull**** bulletproof have completely ruined the tightly choreographed and almost practical seeming gun-fu. Every fight scene shouldn't include a 4 minute bit of John Wick hiding in his magic bubble doing a Batman/Dracula impression. 

Reveal hidden contents

The tracker character was completely stupid and entirely unnecessary. Why the hell nobody is willing to shoot a 55lb Mailnois or even god forbid try to harm it is annoying as ****. It bouncing off the car accident like absolutely nothing was wrong was ridiculous. 

Everything that took place in Berlin could have been cut and nothing of value would have been lost. 

Reveal hidden contents

Him getting thrown all the way back down the stairs was awful. Frankly, the whole "The Warriors" mash up was far from great.  

Reveal hidden contents

Making Cain blind was stupid. 

John Wick 1 was 96 minutes. Whoever decided this one needed to be 169 is an absolute wanker. 

+++

That wasn't to say there weren't some good parts.

Reveal hidden contents

Wick killing "The One Above the Table" was a good bit of mea-culpa-ing some ****ty world building. 

Winston was as fantastic as ever. 

The characters at the Osaka Continental were great. 

The action was good when not being COMPLETELY overused. 

The Marquii was a decent villain in places, though I certainly could have used more out of him in the final fight. 

Well that's certainly a hot take...

If you said "the action dragged on a little too long for me", I could get that, but saying the movie sucked is just wrong. 

• Like 1

I thought that the movie was excellent and everything you could expect from a John Wick finale.

It was well written, acted and directed.  The choreography was amazing.  It was visually stunning.  

There was just enough character development to keep it interesting.

The thing I didn't like was...the suits.  It was overused for my liking.

The fight up the stairs was just legendary story telling.

The down shots of the house fight was darned near as awesome as seeing bullet time in the Matrix.

And yeah, it is a must see on the big screen.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Finale? They announced the 5th one is in production before this even came out. 

They did announce 4 and 5 together, but that was when they were going to film them back-to-back. They delayed Chapter 5 while filming Chapter 4 with no update since.

A potential 5th one is not in production as of now. And with how Chapter 4 ends...it seems this is likely the finale. Not impossible to retcon the end of this one, but seems unlikely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, vegas492 said:

The thing I didn't like was...the suits.  It was overused for my liking.

This was probably my biggest pet peeve as well. After watching Extraction 2 last night I couldn't help but feel how much more realistic it felt compared to JW4.

On 6/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, VikeManDan said:

This was probably my biggest pet peeve as well. After watching Extraction 2 last night I couldn't help but feel how much more realistic it felt compared to JW4.

Extraction 2 has a guy hide behind a ladder to avoid helicopter fire. It's concept is also inherently more reality based, it's not a world run by a fictional assassin society.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:21 PM, seminoles1 said:

They did announce 4 and 5 together, but that was when they were going to film them back-to-back. They delayed Chapter 5 while filming Chapter 4 with no update since.

A potential 5th one is not in production as of now. And with how Chapter 4 ends...it seems this is likely the finale. Not impossible to retcon the end of this one, but seems unlikely.

I really, really hope that this Chapter is the End for John Wick.  It ended nicely and the way it should.  All of it.

Spin off?  Sure.  Maybe I can get into that.  But Wick needs to end.

I loved the movie and the series, don't get me wrong.  But they kept pushing the envelope to where it morphed into an unrealistic video game.  Like it kept trying to top itself and it led to 100% unrealistic scenes.  Don't get me wrong, visually I really like it, but I longed for more realism like in the first one.

First one will always be my favorite.  And my favorite scene will be the shootout at the club.  How it was filmed, music, slow mo....all of it.  It was perfect and it was realistic.  Second favorite will be the stairway fight in Chapter 4.

• Like 1