Mock (YEAH) ing (YEAH) Drafts (YEAH)

wcblack34

Since we're post-Combine and on the home stretch to April 27th:

A thread for you to post your mock drafts. 

A thread for you to post other peoples' mock drafts.

A thread for you to mock mock drafts.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

I did the following on PFF's mock draft simulator:

Traded R1:23 to DET for R2:48, R5:154 and 2024 R2

Traded R2:48 to TB for R2:50 and 2024 R4

PICK 2:50: BJ Oulari - DE - LSU

PICK 3:87: Nathaniel Dell - WR - Houston

PICK 4:119: Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - CB - TCU

PICK 5:154: DeWayne McBride - HB - UAB

PICK 5:160: Kobie Turner - DL - Wake Forest

PICK 5:177: Zack Kuntz - TE -Old Dominion

• Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

I did the following on PFF's mock draft simulator:

Traded R1:23 to DET for R2:48, R5:154 and 2024 R2

Traded R2:48 to TB for R2:50 and 2024 R4

PICK 2:50: BJ Oulari - DE - LSU

PICK 3:87: Nathaniel Dell - WR - Houston

PICK 4:119: Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson - CB - TCU

PICK 5:154: DeWayne McBride - HB - UAB

PICK 5:160: Kobie Turner - DL - Wake Forest

PICK 5:177: Zack Kuntz - TE -Old Dominion

If Ojulari falls that far, fine - but yikes. Not loving the quantity over quality approach. I get it, but don't like it. IMO this is going to be a tough draft year with the lack of capital. 

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If Ojulari falls that far, fine - but yikes. Not loving the quantity over quality approach. I get it, but don't like it. IMO this is going to be a tough draft year with the lack of capital. 

My thinking here is picking up assets for next year to be in a position to move up for a QB while still plugging some holes with quality players. Ojulari is great value there and makes the eventual loss of Za'Darius sting much less. Dell can get downfield in a hurry, which I think makes JJ more formidable. Hodges-Tomlinson fits the Flores mold of a press-CB. McBride is an early down bruiser that fills out the RB by Committee and allows us to move on from Dalvin post draft or next season. I don't know much about Turner, but he seems to fit the 3/4 DE mold well. Kuntz is an athletic freak that could further create openings and mismatches for Jefferson. He was the one pick I felt was a true "luxury pick."

• Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

My thinking here is picking up assets for next year to be in a position to move up for a QB while still plugging some holes with quality players. Ojulari is great value there and makes the eventual loss of Za'Darius sting much less. Dell can get downfield in a hurry, which I think makes JJ more formidable. Hodges-Tomlinson fits the Flores mold of a press-CB. McBride is an early down bruiser that fills out the RB by Committee and allows us to move on from Dalvin post draft or next season. I don't know much about Turner, but he seems to fit the 3/4 DE mold well. Kuntz is an athletic freak that could further create openings and mismatches for Jefferson. He was the one pick I felt was a true "luxury pick."

Picking up assets for next year is key for me. Not sure that's enough to move them up as much as needed.... But you can always deal future picks too. 

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Picking up assets for next year is key for me. Not sure that's enough to move them up as much as needed.... But you can always deal future picks too. 

That was my first experience with the PFF mock draft simulator. I tried to get Detroit's 2024 1st rounder, but the simulator wasn't having any of that. 

We might be able to trade a couple of guys for 2024 picks too. 

• Like 2

While you won't be able to see the discussion itself if you don't have a subscription, here is Alec Smith's (the Athletic) latest mock, which includes a trade-down from #23, adding 2 2nd rders (#32 and #49):

Rd 2 (#32):  Edge BJ Ojulari (LSU)

Rd 2 (#49): C John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota)

Rd 3 (#87): CB Darius Rush (South Carolina)

Rd 4 (#116): CB/S Jartavius Martin (Illinois)

Rd 5(#155): RB Deuce Vaughn (Kansas St)

https://theathletic.com/4288873/2023/03/09/vikings-nfl-mock-draft-trade/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While you won't be able to see the discussion itself if you don't have a subscription, here is Alec Smith's (the Athletic) latest mock, which includes a trade-down from #23, adding 2 2nd rders (#32 and #49):

Rd 2 (#32):  Edge BJ Ojulari (LSU)

Rd 2 (#49): C John Michael Schmitz (Minnesota)

Rd 5(#155): RB Deuce Vaughn (Kansas St)

https://theathletic.com/4288873/2023/03/09/vikings-nfl-mock-draft-trade/?source=emp_shared_article

It would be hard to not like that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

By Lance Zierlein, NFL Analyst

Overview

Versatile corner/safety prospect with the size and physical talent to play nickelback or align as a deep safety. A buttery smooth hip swivel allows him to glide and transition effectively from his pedal, but he has just average route recognition to stay connected to clever route runners. A lack of ideal recovery speed at cornerback turns into solid range over the top at safety when combined with his ball skills and instincts. Teams will need to decide where to play him, but Martin’s versatility should help his draft value. He could begin his NFL career as a backup and carve out a bigger role in time.

Strengths

Desired NFL body type with good size/length.
Offers nickelback and safety versatility.
Oily hips provide free-flowing transitions.
Nimble feet to stay in phase with the route.
Burst to close includes soft hands and plus ball skills.
Has the range to play over the top as a safety.
Punches and separates to free himself in run support.

Weaknesses

Lost track of coverage targets against Virginia.
Disappointing chase speed when beaten deep.
Gets knocked off-balance in his tight man coverage.
Might not have enough play strength to cover tight ends.
Undercut angles on the throw run a little shallow.
Needs to take leveraged angles to ball-carrier.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jartavius-martin/32004d41-5264-5121-58ce-d7c1593339a8

56 minutes ago, swede700 said:

By Lance Zierlein, NFL Analyst

Overview

Two-year starter at cornerback after moving from wide receiver in his redshirt freshman season. Rush is big, long and physical. He struggles to stay connected with routes from both press and off coverages but could improve with more technique work. He will never have the short area foot quickness to mirror and match routes but has impressive ball skills to disrupt the catch when he’s in position.

Strengths

Possesses NFL-caliber size and length.
Quickly crowds outside release to the boundary.
Plays to his size when challenging the throw.
Partitions off the catch area from trail position.
Attacks deep throws with timing and accuracy.
Productive tackler on punt cover team.

Weaknesses

Struggles to match release due to elongated steps.
Gives ground when chasing vertical routes.
Below average stop-start fluidity.
Hip tightness prevents smooth transitions.
Unable to hang with multi-breaking routes.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darius-rush/32005255-5305-7910-a1a9-d9de1ee2cde8

Edited by vike daddy

23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: WR QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU

With Adam Thielen officially gone, the Vikings could very well be in the wide receiver market in the first round, especially if a player like Quentin Johnston is available. Johnston is one of the few in this class who gives you a size and speed combination as an outside receiver.

87. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: CB CLARK PHILLIPS, UTAH

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-three-round-mock-draft-carolina-panthers-qb-cj-stroud-indianapolis-colts-anthony-richardson

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I would not complain about Johnston at all. I still have a tough time fathoming that we'll actually be picking at #23 though. 

Unless the Vikings decide to trade up, I would bet on them staying at 23. Outside of the top 15 or so, I don’t think you’re going to see a lot of teams eager to trade up.