Week 13: Philadelphia Eagles vs Seattle Seahawks

showtime

15 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Ok overall.

Defense was sloppy, got really lucky with the Wentz fumble. Bobby, MB and Frank were on fire tonight. Good to see Shaq back. 

Russell was Russell. Not his best performance, but enough to get the win. Offensive line took a step back, (Pocic looks overmatched) but against a good defense.

Mike Davis is the man going forward. Has the feet and patience to succeed behind this line. Great out of backfield as well.

If Seattle plays like this against the Rams they will lose (Unless LA has a repeat give away session). They really need to put together the complete game. I really want to see Seattle put to boot to the Rams throats. 

@Jacksonville next week will be tough. Seattle run defense looked vulnerable today. Have to fill those leaks if Seattle wants to take it next week. Seattle needs to win one of the next two games if they want to wrestle a playoff spot from the NFC South. 

Agreed on all accounts.  Mike Davis should be the starter going forward with McKissic also getting some burn. 

I think the key to beating the Jaguars is to get an early lead on them, which is obviously easier said than done.  Playing from behind can be very difficult for them since their QB is really bad.

Just now, RamRod said:

Definitely, then followed with our game against you guys. Gonna be fun seeing it all play out.

So many teams near the top of the divisional all fighting it out.  It's a tremendous way to end things.  I really hope both the Rams and Seahawks make the postseason.

2 hours ago, El ramster said:

oh wow.. look at you guys trying to keep pace.. 

Beating a team that only had one loss is so huge.  The Eagles play the Rams next.  I'm expecting a great game, but for the Eagles to win.  If that happens, the Seahawks reclaim the #1 spot =)

Russell is amazing. A flat out baller. Everyone talks about his sandlot ability but the 3 td throws and the all out blitz & pass to Baldwin were all from the pocket. While I loathe Bevell, we did set up match ups that favored the Hawks. I love JD and he ran a nice slant and go on on Kendricks for the TD. Graham beat Jenkins. Lockett beat ?? Baldwin beat McCleod to set up Lockett's TD. 

Mike Davis was a very good back at South Carolina and he's showing his power and plays with a ferocity that should excite us all. Where did he get a spin move and nice feet? Add in JD and you have 2 weapons that we should continue to lean on and must if we're going to make a serious run. The play of these 2 guys gives me tremendous hope. I thought JD should be the screen back but Davis is outstanding catching the ball out of the backfield.

The one disappointment on Sunday's game & it's a shock was the play of one of the best players in the NFL and that's Earl. He sucked in pass coverage! Sucked. I saw some all-22 and Earl was caught in the middle of the field and in no man's land time and time again when no Eagle was even threatening the middle of the field. The early Wentz overthrow to Agular that would've been a TD. ET was lost. Then Wentz threw behind Agular, who had to go down to make the catch at the Hawks 35. That was a TD with a good throw. ET was in no man's land. Let's add Wentz's 40 yd side arm throw to Agular when Jefferson was at his ankles. ET was standing around. There is NO excuse for ET not being there to pick or knock that ball away. There was only 1 place Wentz could throw. Maxwell got beat but where was ET?  In no man's land. Then on 3rd and 13, Agular beats Maxwell again on their only TD pass and ET was still in no man's land. ET needed to show his instincts but he never flashed into the screen and all-22 delineates what ET was doing.

If ET is playing ET ball, they don't score that TD. The first 3rd and 14 is incomplete and the second 3rd and 13 for a TD doesn't happen. We can blame Maxwell, but we know what Maxwell is and reason ET needs to use instincts based on formations to disect and ball hawk. He wasn't and it could've cost us the game.

Clark & Wags were monsters! I hope we just keep Clark on the weakside and let him pass rush. If Clark adds a spin move to his repertoire ( and he can), he'll lead the NFL in sacks. He can pull the LT so wide which opens up the interior. I LOVED Raheem Brock in 2010 with his spin move. It's a deadly pass rush move. Clark's hands are outstanding. 

Overall, it was a solid game from start to finish. We need ET to show up vs Bortles because he's there for the pickin's. Focus on Fournette and bring heat on Bortles. It has that 16-13 type of score.

Does everyone know what is sweeet?  The game was flexed by FOX to a 4:25 time slot. Look back at all of our 1 pm EST starts. We haven't done squatash in the 1st half. This time change is HUGGGGGE.

A lot of rambling here and no cohesiveness but oh well.....

8 hours ago, Zman724 said:

The one disappointment on Sunday's game & it's a shock was the play of one of the best players in the NFL and that's Earl. He sucked in pass coverage! Sucked. I saw some all-22 and Earl was caught in the middle of the field and in no man's land time and time again when no Eagle was even threatening the middle of the field. The early Wentz overthrow to Agular that would've been a TD. ET was lost.

There was a missed assignment on the underneath coverage there. McDougald was responsible for depth in his drop to undercut Agholor, but stayed in way too long after biting on the PA. Thomas had to play deep b/c of the fieldside Post and the boundary Vertical. Eagles ran a Mills concept (outside Post, slot Dig) and it's purpose vs single high or Cover 3 is to catch the FS flat-footed or cause him to drive on the Dig to expose the deep middle for the Post route. Carroll's defensive philosophy to eliminate the big play, and with a focus on the deep middle, strictly prohibits Thomas from driving on any underneath routes when any deep routes or verticals are present. Thomas stayed true to the Post. TL/DR? Thomas was sound in his assignment and McDougald missed his.

Then Wentz threw behind Agular, who had to go down to make the catch at the Hawks 35. That was a TD with a good throw. ET was in no man's land. Let's add Wentz's 40 yd side arm throw to Agular when Jefferson was at his ankles. ET was standing around. There is NO excuse for ET not being there to pick or knock that ball away. There was only 1 place Wentz could throw. Maxwell got beat but where was ET?  In no man's land.

There's a reason the Eagles are picking on Maxwell. As a Dolphin fan, I completely understand why and the Eagles are also fully aware of his limitations and liabilities.

Then on 3rd and 13, Agular beats Maxwell again on their only TD pass and ET was still in no man's land. ET needed to show his instincts but he never flashed into the screen and all-22 delineates what ET was doing.

For the TD the defensive call here was Man Free (Cover 1 man) w/ a 5 man rush by the OLB's vs 1x3 (trips to the fieldside). Eagles here called an NCAA concept (Post/Dig/Drag) with an additional wheel route from the inside slot. Algholor ran a wheel route from that #3 spot, and there was a slight pick on Maxwell from the #2's shallow cross to slow his trail. Again, Thomas' responsibility here is the deep middle to defend the Post & Dig respectively and asking him to defend the far sideline when deep middle routes are present isn't feasible.

Overall, it was just a good call by the Eagles vs Man Free coverage with routes to occupy the MOF and the Seahawk's would have been better served for a Cover 3 shell to defend it.

I haven't fully dissected the game or even the some of the other plays you mentioned here, but I'd be inclined to say that the miscommunications and missed assignments are a result of the secondary player fluctuations and not pinpointed on Earl Thomas. You also have to give credit to the Eagles and Wentz as he made some fantastic reads and throws.

Watching this game again and seeing how valuable JD McKissic have been, and how explosive this offense's been with a healthy CJ Prosise, I can only look at the "what ifs" of the scenario where the Seahawks had drafted Alvin Kamara instead of Ethan Pocic. Oh, man, the Seahawks should scout the heck out of RBs in the next draft, it's CLEAR we need that 3 down back that can impact the passing game by lining up as WR, no matter what cost, and should stack up RBs with potential to be the one.

Archived