Cowboys Salary Cap Crunch News

textaz03

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Not walking away from Tyron is a major roll of the dice at this stage. He’s still a solid OT though and insurance policy with Steele mending. Until we see some numbers, I’ll take the cautiously optimistic approach.

I think if you can get him back on a salary cut, that’s an easy decision. Still a very good player when healthy, important mentor for Tyler, and you really need 3 high caliber tackles. 

I’m okay with bringing him back at a reduced cap hit. My ideal situation would be to trade him, but that’s not what this FO does well. He’s worth a 3rd or a 4th so we’d probably get a 5th or a 6th. Cutting him for savings is not the best option if you can bring him back and get savings. 

As a franchise, we can be incredibly stupid when it comes to carrying players too long and for too much money.  Most of us (people on this board but also likely the entire fanbase as a whole) realized that cutting Zeke was the right thing to do last year before his 2022 salary was fully guaranteed.  We had an out.  Zeke was clearly on the downside of his career.  Yet, the Jones didn't act.  We re-sign an injured Michael Gallup before we even know what he's capable of doing.  Seriously, based on last year's performance... how much would he get in FA?  Not much.  Yet, he's going to count $14M against next year's cap.  I really like and appreciate Tyron Smith.  But the dude cannot stay healthy.  We should have zero expectation of him playing more than half the season.  He should have been traded when he was actually worth something when he career started to decline.  We've got Lawrence fully guaranteed for 2023.  Using the exclusive franchise tag on an injured Dak was a joke.  Now, Dak's contract is beyond stupid. 

I hate using the franchise tag on Pollard.  I hated using it on Schultz.  The only way for Dallas to get out the cap situation they are in is to REWARD underachieving players with contract extensions.  Congratulations, Dak!!!  You sucked in 2022.  So, we are going to reward you with a 4 year/200,000,000 extension so we can reduce your bloated 2023 cap number.  Congratulations Tyron!  You can't stay healthy.  So, to reward you for your lack of playing time, we want to extend you 3 more years!!!  

This year should be the come to Jesus year.  Franchise no one.  Get rid of dead weight (Zeke, Smith).  Draft well.  It's not hard to find a running back in the draft.  It's not hard to find a LG in the draft. That being said, now, is the time to extend Diggs or trade him if he doesn't want want a team friendly deal.  He's easily worth a first and maybe more. If we took these measures now... we'd have a wide open cap in 2024.  

I like the idea of keeping Tyron at a reduced number. If we cut/trade him we could have a repeat situation that we had at the WR position last year, but this time at OT. We dont know if Steele will be ready, just like Gallup last year or if they’ll be the same player once they hit the field. I say we keep him.